PDA

View Full Version : Got New Springs.....

jgrimm
12-30-2007, 07:11 PM
So....I was given a set of lowering springs from the BavAuto website for Christmas. These springs give an average drop of 1.3 inches on each corner. Does this drop require me to purchase any other parts or is it not signficant enough to effect other parts of my suspension? It would be ideal if I could get away from purchasing anything else.

ATF
12-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Ideally you would run sport shocks and struts with sport springs.

Also you may count on some new hardware like rear shock mounts, reinforcement plates, and locknuts (or locktite).

a spring compressor for the front strut it a must and an impact wrench makes things go smoothly.

jgrimm
01-01-2008, 12:45 AM
So I can't get them installed without all of this extra stuff? Its barely over an inch drop! Where can I get these extra parts from? Has anyone had a bad experience with simply replacing the springs and nothing else?

marleymon
01-01-2008, 03:16 AM
imo- i would sell them.....

or you will need stiffer sports and stronger rear mounts.

Mallard
01-01-2008, 01:24 PM
springs on 30 mm drop (aprx. 1.3 in. ) wouldnt necessarily need the major overhaul.

The springs will be a bit stiffer, but rate would still be ok from the orig. shocks to accomodate the change

jgrimm
01-02-2008, 12:05 AM
Mallard...What do you mean by "rate"?

larryn
01-02-2008, 02:50 AM
Springs are rated for different weights. Generally, something like those Eibach, H&R, etc. "Sport" springs are close to stock spring rates (around 300#). Race springs are sold by the spring rate (in pounds). Generally starting a 300#, by 50# increments, to over 600#, with each being a bit more stiffer.

Shocks generally need to matched to more aggressive spring rates, and for different travel, based on the drop of the car. Your new springs aren't that far from factory spring rate or factory ride height, so Mallard was saying you're probably okay to use your stock shock.

Mallard
01-02-2008, 07:36 PM
the rate decides how soft or hard a damper is (range of travel)

standard dampers are a very long/soft rate

sport dampers a hard/short rate

the sport spring (40 to 60mm) will allow the longer rate damper to bottom out and potentialy damage topmounts / damper / springs

therefore a shorter stiffer damper is used to have the piston ballenced halfway in the damper.. heres a pic

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v232/johnono/damper-1.jpg

the picure shows how a combination of a short spring and soft damper may cause damage due to the limeted travel

jgrimm
01-03-2008, 12:41 AM
Awesome guys! Thanks alot for the info. I am for sure going to keep my springs and I hopefully will be able to install them in the near future. I may have to wait till the snow stops falling though. I will keep you guys informed on what I decide to do. Thanks again.