PDA

View Full Version : DIY Starter replacement -Pics

01-14-2008, 09:48 PM
In a prior thread (see “Can I access my starter bolt from the radio slot?”) two ways to get to the starter bolts were discussed: 1) Remove the intake manifold, or 2) Drop the shaft/exhaust, loosen the transmission brace and tilt down the engine/transmission slightly to access starter from the back. Bentley says it can be done from the underside but this must require a lift as laying on one’s back it is hard to reach up high into the engine.

I could not see the Bentley way and the two other options looked risky to me. One member had said that it could be done from top so I decided to attack it that way, but it was clear that “you have to make room” by moving things around between the engine and the firewall to reach deep down where the starter lives. For reference, the approximate location of the starter bolts is on either side under the main “ribbed” wiring harness coming down from the main wiring harness box into the core of the intake manifold.

The job requires unbolting the old starter and bolting the new starter working from above the engine and doing the electrical connections and the removal/replacement of the unit working from under the car.

This is the procedure in ten easy steps (still can’t believe BMW does this in 1.5 hours):

1. Remove the air cowl feeding air to the cabin fans (there is a DIY for changing the microfilters somewhere on the site). This is somewhat of an involved job in itself.
2. Push the main wiring harness box back into the recess left by removing the cowl, under the sheetmetal holding the wipers. This now clears a space of 3-4 inches between the manifold and the firewall.
3. Disconnect the vacuum hose from the camshaft cover, unscrew the bracket retaining an electrical connector under that, and disconnect the large water hose to the engine under that. Pushing the water hose at the bottom of that “stack” of things reveals the top starter bolt. Be careful identifying the right bolt, going by feel before clearing the space I was attacking the wrong bolt, a similar but larger Torx transmission housing bolt.
4. Now to the other side (US driver side). Disconnect hose from vacuum booster to intake manifold, disconnect vacuum hose from round receptacle to the cam cover (disconnected in step 3), disconnect the two hoses coming out of the cabin heather.
5. Remove the solenoid valve by pulling it out and up from its mounting bracket (no screws), this valve comes out with the large hose to the engine disconnected in step 3 and a short hose to the heather valve, disconnect the electrical connector to the solenoid. Push the remaining hose coming from under the intake manifold to one side.
6. Unscrew the oil dipstick bracket and pull the whole pipe out of the engine casing (a real puzzle to get out and back in)
7. The “lower” starter bolt is now accessible.
8. Make a delivery tube to pour tons of PB Blaster on the bolts and the starter/transmission joint. Obviously the can will not fit so I used three coffee stirrers and a thin flexible tube to deliver the stuff at the right place. Worked great throughout the job on many points
9. Find the right wrenches to attack the Torx bolts (Torx E12). This is where I thought I was going to have to call a tow truck to take the whole thing out of my garage to the dealer (the shame!). This is hard as the Torx bolts are rusted, the space is tight and I’m working on top of the engine. I used a Torx socket with a straight articulated T-bar and a pipe extension for the initial break. Then a long ratchet wrench with a thin articulated head. The real difficulty is that because the bolt is almost under the firewall the leverage point comes from “in front” of the bolt, so a normal ratchet will not work. Secondly, the bolt is in a cavity of the transmission housing that is very narrow, so a normal ratchet is not going to fit. (This is also why some guys like to do this job from the back, lowering the transmission). Finally after the bolt was backed part of the way, I used a gear-ratchet box wrench as you get many “clicks” for very little movement available and the bolts are long.
10. After the bolts are out, pry the starter off the transmission casing, disconnect the wires reaching from under the car and lower the starter pushing the fuel lines aside. (I found out later with the new starter that it is easier to put the electrical connections with the starter unbolted but inserted into the transmission cavity as the top connection is right under the intake manifold and extremely difficult to reach)

No real trick in putting everything back together again

Now for the pics:

With the cowl removed
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/540318/DSCN0037.jpg
Pushing the harness box under the wipers to make room
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/540318/DSCN0040.jpg
This is the target area, vacuum hose, electrical wire and water hose
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/540318/DSCN0080.jpg
Starter bolt under rubber piece that drains water from the cowl
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/540318/DSCN0048.jpg
Tight fit for socket and wrench, rubber drain removed
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/540318/DSCN0049.jpg
Now to the other side, 2 vacuum hoses, dipstick and solenoid go out
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/540318/DSCN0079.jpg

thesk8nmidget
01-15-2008, 12:31 AM
good write up!

+1

only thing it needs are some pictures!

01-15-2008, 02:27 AM
Agree it needs pictures, I'm working on it, was not able to upload, but soon I hope.

01-15-2008, 11:42 PM
Second lower starter bolt under the hoses.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/540318/DSCN0050.jpg
Other shot bolt coming out. Yes, it is a GM transmission!
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/540318/DSCN0051.jpg
Two bolts out, the starter cannot be seen, it is under the manifold
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/540318/DSCN0052.jpg
Starter finally coming out, the connections were undone from below
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/540318/DSCN0054.jpg
Starter squeezed out between steering shaft and fuel lines
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/540318/DSCN0055.jpg
The bugger wrestled to the ground. (the rusted wheels are winter wheels)
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/540318/DSCN0057.jpg

01-15-2008, 11:44 PM
New starter back in, shot from below. Two connections are no problem
the third is very hard if the starter is fully bolted down.
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/540318/DSCN0077-1.jpg
All pieces coming back together on top, time to do the microfilters
which were not done at inspection II (they never thought I would find out!)
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/540318/DSCN0078-1.jpg
Useful tools
http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg262/540318/DSCN0083.jpg

01-15-2008, 11:47 PM
good write up!

+1

only thing it needs are some pictures!

Hey, loaded the pics, check it out if interested

cali-ti
01-19-2008, 04:00 AM
very nice! i've never done the starter and if i'm removing parts in that area, i'm going to plan to just do it as i'm likely pushing my luck already.

wv318ti
09-16-2008, 12:45 AM
I hope this can help I'll be doing this change on wed. It looks like it's going to be fun.

95EurOLoVin318ti
02-13-2009, 05:34 PM
swhen i turn my key the engine wont start it makes this noise long winding sound then sometimes theres a clank so i figure i need a new starter this shud do great beacuse i deff dont wanna spend the money for the mechanic.

GardenBeast
03-31-2009, 04:21 AM
i was told today that it was a super easy job.... i think tony may have lied to me..

dandodd
04-16-2009, 04:46 PM
Thanks for the notes and photos!
it really helped and save me some $$
we bought the set of torx sockets and i'm glad because our bolts were E14 but had no corrosion on them so this must have been the 2nd starter in 170,000 miles..
thanks again

Flametail
05-22-2009, 04:52 PM
I couldn't get to the nuts so I decided to just go ahead and take off the upper intake manifold and made the job much easier.

dandodd
05-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Arrg, the starter stopped working a few weeks after intallation, either i got a lemon or i pulled on the wires too hard when i was installing from the bottom.
Got to go in and do it again.
How long did the upper intake manifold take to remove / re-install?

Flametail
05-22-2009, 09:12 PM
It's just a few bolts and hoses so maybe 5 minutes or so. I haven't got mine completely done yet.

30yrMbr
09-07-2009, 08:43 PM
The account at Photobucket is inactive, is there some way to get the photos posted on the Forum?

fieldhb
09-08-2009, 02:41 AM
Thanks for he write-up.
I am looking to replace the starter in my car, and would like to see the pictures also.
Any chance of getting those posted somewhere ?

dguzzardo22
09-08-2009, 07:46 AM
im in the same boat aswell even tho its my 3rd starter i still would like pics also ..

BMW_Hatchback
09-26-2009, 08:07 PM
pics are dead now

Xenocide
09-26-2009, 08:29 PM
easier on m52 so don't even worry about it BMW-Hatchback.

30yrMbr
10-09-2009, 01:35 AM
Well, after too many weekend days and weekday evenings, Ladeda3's starter is finally replaced and FUNCTIONAL! WoooHooo...

Had to redo, undo and do again too many times, almost memorized where every connector and fastener goes. Except for the 3 nuts that were left over... :(

Platanos
08-05-2010, 01:54 AM
i am having a hell of a time getting the top bolt out. went out a bought a swivel head rachet and still no luck....don't know what else to do.

edit;;;;

Tried using a 12 point wrench.....stripped the damn bolt. :mad:

edit again;

What now, drop the tranny?

cooljess76
08-05-2010, 03:13 AM
i am having a hell of a time getting the top bolt out. went out a bought a swivel head rachet and still no luck....don't know what else to do.

edit;;;;

Tried using a 12 point wrench.....stripped the damn bolt. :mad:

edit again;

What now, drop the tranny?

No, just disconnect the shifter linkage, put a jack under the back of the tranny, remove the two nuts on the tranny crossmember and driveshaft center support bearing and slowly lower the jack. The engine is going to tilt back towards the firewall, but it'll give you about 2 extra inches of clearance above the tranny from under the car. Older model Ti's had a bolt and nut on the upper starter bolt. My '95 clubsport had a bolt and nut, but my '97 and newer models have a threaded starter housing, so there's no nut to hold from the other side. Makes things a little easier, I forget which year they started using threaded starters.

BTW, the starter will drop out from under the car. All you have to do is remove the dipstick tube, rotate the starter 270 degrees lengthwise and drop it straight down. Make sure your battery is disconnected before disconnecting the wires going to the starter. No need to remove the intake manifold like someone mentioned, it's too much of a PITA and completely unecessary. Best of luck man, LMK if I can help.

Platanos
08-06-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks cooljess, your tips helped out. I got everything buttoned up. Was a pain in the ass getting the intake back on. Why would they put that harness through the middle of the intake!?!?

Anyway, now my car won't start. I checked all my plugs and hoses. Everything is in it place. I swapped the two plugs going into the block (cps and something else?) because I wasn't sure which one was which. Still no start. Its cranking but won't turn over, it even sounds like its gonna start but then nothing. It backfires if I keep trying. This is extrememly frustrating..

Platanos
08-06-2010, 11:46 PM
Now I got her to start but she is intermittant. Not sure what else to do.

Colink
09-06-2010, 02:53 PM
I have a '96 model ti. How do I know if I need a starter with threaded mounting ears or un-threaded, without having to go in there and take it out?

Xenocide
09-06-2010, 03:37 PM
Get threaded ears, they are interchangeable. threaded ears are easier to install. If you buy it from autozone (which I recommend). They are both sold under the same part number so keep opening what ever boxes they have instock until you find one. I think It took me 2 or 3 boxes to find a starter with threaded ears.

95white318ti
10-26-2010, 03:14 PM
Hi guys. I just read this and comments in search of which wire goes on the small top terminal and the bottom one. I read another and thought it said Ylw blk on the bottom one. Is this correct?

3ggshell
10-21-2011, 03:01 AM
Hello, I'm in the process of removing my old starter and I got both bolts out from the bottom without removing anything - just using some wobbly extensions. I also have all the wiring disconnected, and the starter just will not come out. I was wondering if anybody has had this problem? I can see that I got the right bolts out, and I'm worried the PO has mushroomed the pin. I can get separation of about 1/8" and it will wiggle a little, but that it. Hopefully someone else has had similar problems.

Thanks

PixelRandy
05-31-2014, 08:56 PM
This thread has been stagnant for a long time. I thought I'd chime in as I just (as in ten minutes ago) did swapped the starter in my '96 M44 ti. I already had the intake and cooling hoses out as I'm in the middle of rebuilding the cooling system. Seeing that the starter was right there, I didn't want to risk not replacing it. My car is just shy of 200k and I don't see any service records showing that any of the POs had replaced it. My car came with binder of records too.

Tools you really need to do this right, and I can't emphasize this enough:

- SWIVEL HEAD SOCKET WRENCH
- E12 SOCKET

Trying to use anything else to get the two bolts out is half-assing the job. The firewall is directly above the two bolts, so you need a handle that came come back towards you (even just 10*) to clear the firewall.

I found that on my car, once the bolts were broken free a turn or two, they came out with finger pressure. Whew!

The starter did stick on the locating pin. A little VERY gentle prying while rocking and it came right out.

I noticed that the new starter didn't want to slide back over the locating pin easily, and you don't want to bang on the starter as you can damage the magnets. I took a bit of fine sand paper and took off the surface gunk on the locating pin. This allowed the new starter to fully seat with hand pressure with a little rocking.

I also cleaned off a bit of the corrosion that was on the two bolts and put a dab of anti-seize on the threads. I was able to finger tighten each bolt all they way until they bottomed out. Just a half or three-quarters turn on each with the wrench until tight.

I hate working way back there. It's just asking for muscle cramps. Man, I'm really out of shape! :cool:

Good luck!

alika808
11-15-2014, 07:13 AM
Great Job. Perfect I need this DIY and makes my project easier. Thank you.

ald0725AIM
02-19-2015, 05:57 PM
540318, great pictures. I realized that its going to be difficult to access so I decided to attack from the top taking the top and bottom manifold. I'm stuck with the bottom manifold trying to figure out how to disconnect all the wirings connected to the wire loom that is placed in the middle of the lower manifold. I wish I can slide the whole thing but its not possible.

ZRXwannabe
02-29-2016, 02:09 AM
So I thought I would put my 2 cents in on this also. I did my starter on my 96 318Ti yesterday. I did almost the whole thing from under the car. My first step was of course putting the car on jack stands. Then disconnect the neg. battery post. Then I pulled the dipstick and tube. This can be a little challenging but it does come out and is worth the extra room. Then I went under from the passenger side. I found this the easiest to get up to the wires and undo the 13 mm heavy gauge wires and the 10 mm nut holding the other visible wire. Then I moved and came in head fist from the front of the car and used about 18 inches of extensions, a universal (swivel) extension, and the e12 socket. Going up along the transmission with the extensions in my right hand, and reaching up around the side of the engine with my left I guided the socket on to the lower bolt. I ended up needing 1/2 inch drive because the bolt was so tight. Then I put a jack under the transmission cross member, unbolted the 4 bolts holding it up, and lowered it down about 3 inches or so. This gives enough room to get in there with the ratchet and extensions. With the bolts out I pried the starter loose from above with a long thin flat tip screwdriver. Then back below to rotate the starter far enough to take off the last nut and wire. This is an 8 mm nut. Installation is pretty much the reverse. Small wire first, then rotate starter into place, tighten bolts, install other two wires, jack tranny back up and install four bolts holding mount, install dip stick and tube. A trick I used on this was once dip stick is started, insert a screw driver in the tube up to the handle and then tap LIGHTLY on it to drive tube in. Reconnect battery, and start. This took me about 2 and a half hours but a good 30-45 minutes figuring out how to get to things. I think if I had to do another I could do it in 60-90 minutes.

bcp
02-01-2023, 02:33 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5-6_RmUbLQU&t=64s