PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Spring - Suspension Advice

youngnikolai
01-15-2008, 10:25 PM
Hey Guys,

I took my car in for an oil change and tire rotation today, to find that the front passenger spring has broken into three peices. So the car's stuck at the garage as it's not safely driveable. Also, I've had horrible squeaking noises in the rear which I decided where shock related. This was also confirmed and he recommended replacing the rear shock mounts and struts. The back is not an urgent issue, but the front is. He says I have to replace the springs and struts simultaneously. I'm broke so whatever I do is going on a credit card. I need to think economically, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money on something that will worsen the handling of my car to save a couple of hundred dollars.

Dinan's bilstein and spring kit for all four wheels cost a grand. I don't know yet if I can buy their springs separately (I'm waiting for a call back) but bavauto's kit which has the same struts only costs $650. I don't think that an extra $350 can be justified for didnan springs. BMW charges 185 each for fronts springs and 301 each for rear - a joke.

I have to make a decision ASAP. I would really like input on types of springs, and whether or not it's best to do all four at once. The mechanic will have to install the front ones, I'm stuck there, but would it be a big deal to install the rear struts, mounts and springs ourselves? Have any of you done this?

What do you think?

Thanks a lot,

Nick

thesk8nmidget
01-15-2008, 10:46 PM
i would go with the simple bav auto ones many people here have them and like them a lot. if you want a lower car you can go with the H&R sport springs and it lowers the car 1.5-2 inches and helps handling and you can buy a kit from bav auto for springs and struts

and you can rent a spring tool to do the springs yourself. but its not too difficult at all.

saintse36
01-16-2008, 02:11 AM
Go Koni yellow all the way around and some H&R Track Springs all the around

aceyx
01-16-2008, 04:12 AM
If you have stock springs, I have an extra set of fronts I'll let go for the cost of shipping.

Definitely do the RSMs. They're easy enough to do with a jack and a set of sockets.

youngnikolai
01-16-2008, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. I assumed it would be all the guys from SoCal 318ti who know my car who would be getting back to me. The car has Dinan suspension. The situation has changed since I originally posted.

It turns out that my mechanic with whom I've been happy with for five years has no experience with aftermarket suspension. From everyone else I've spoken with there's no reason to replace the perfectly functioning Bilstein stocks. The mechanic wanted to take off my struts (without removing the springs) trash them and install stock style suspension with the springs already mounted on the struts.

In other words, he doesn't want to mess with the springs at all. The people at Dinan, Bilstein and Century West BMW from whom I'm ordering the Dinan springs (95 a peice for the front) all think there's no reason to replace the struts.

So tomorrow I'm calling the mechanic, telling him I'm only replacing the front springs and make sure he's comfortable with that, otherwise I have to take the car elsewhere. I'm now doubting the noise in the rear has to do with the struts, I think it's just the shock mount. In any case Bilstein gaurantees their struts for life.

Everyone think that sounds reasonable?

Nick

aceyx
01-16-2008, 05:03 AM
Struts generally only need replaced if a valve fails. The strut will then leak. With it removed, you will see a heavy ring of dirt on the pushrod under the boot but there is also usually oil somewhere. Just run your hand around and you will notice.

With the strut and spring removed, push the rod and it should return to its settled position within seconds.