PDA

View Full Version : Only firing on three

festivalitch
01-15-2008, 11:44 PM
A week ago as I was driving home from work my m44 318ti started to only fire on three cylinders. I lifted the hood and checked it out. I found that no 1 cylinder was not firing due to the plug hole having water in it. I dried it out and put the lead back on the plug and all was well until yesterday when the same happened again. As it rained yesterday is this the cause or is it possible that coolent is coming into the hole from the head. It seems impossible for it to be coolent and im not losing any, the car runs sweet as a nut when all 4 are firing.Has any one else had this experience?

tiFreak
01-15-2008, 11:47 PM
I had a friend whose jetta started running on three cylinders, he just plugged the one bad cylinder and drove it like that until he sold it :biggrin: but, unless you want to do that, I can't help you

aceyx
01-15-2008, 11:55 PM
Coolant will smell sweet and be a bit syrupy if you rub it between your fingers.

Really not sure how water would get there.

festivalitch
01-16-2008, 11:07 AM
I opened my hood this morning after heavy rain during the night and there was a little puddle of water sitting on the cam cover. It looks as though its dripping from the sound proofing on the inside of the bonnet. The rain is running along the bonnet soaking the sound proofing and dripping where the proofing covers the screen washers straight onto the engine cover and filling the recess where the ht leads sit. Watch out for it!!!
At least the problems solved.