PDA

View Full Version : jersey inspection problem

barische
01-19-2008, 06:10 AM
i been dealin with this problem for a while now.. my car wont pass jersey inspection because i have a code for running lean.. and then also a code for the secondary air injection comes up..

also i have "NOT READY" codes on the secondary air injection and catalytic conv. and o2 sensor..

long story short, if anyone knows a shop in jersey that can cheat the computer i would really appreciate it..

i tried many shops but they said that they dont touch germans and that there is a no way to cheat the computer with them..

thank you very much..

cooljess76
01-19-2008, 06:26 AM
Do you still have a secondary air pump or did you or somebody remove it for say a CAI or something? If you still have it(it looks like a stack of pancakes with a hose coming out of the top and a plug on the bottom) I repaired mine. Just search trough my old threads for "secondary air pump". Basically it only comes on for the first 30 seconds that your car is running after a cold start. If you stick your hand behind and around the airbox and feel air blowing, your secondary air pump has probably separated and is leaking. If you don't hear it turn on when you first start your car in the morning, it probably separated a long time ago, got crud in it or corroded and siezed up. You could still take it apart and clean it up which may cause it to start working again. It's held together by 6 aluminum rivets that eventually break allowing the discs that make up the pump body to separate and leak. If you remove those aluminum rivets and replace them with bolts and locknuts, it'll never come apart again and should last for the rest of your cars life. Best of luck to you and as for cheating the inspection, I'd rather fix the problem as the secondary air pump is designed to extend the life of your catalytic converter by compensating the rich condition that your car goes through while purging the fuel vapors that accumulate in the charcoal canister overnight.

barische
01-19-2008, 05:09 PM
yeah, im pretty sure its bad right now.. it makes very loud weird noises for the first 30 second start of the car.. i just didnt replace it since its such a useless part.. but might gonna have to.. thanks for the explanation..

cooljess76
01-19-2008, 08:47 PM
yeah, im pretty sure its bad right now.. it makes very loud weird noises for the first 30 second start of the car.. i just didnt replace it since its such a useless part.. but might gonna have to.. thanks for the explanation..You should try fixing it. Taking it apart and cleaning it shouldn't be too difficult although I never took mine apart, I did replace the rivets with screws and nuts. It works like a champ now, and it's a $300 part! I wouldn't call it useless considering what it does for your catalytic converter. A cat costs almost 1500 bucks from the dealer and most aftermarket cats won't work on OBD2 BMWs. I know it might seem like alot of work to repair the secondary air pump, but it'll save you a lot of money in the long run.