PDA

View Full Version : Schrick cams for Ti?

Marv17
02-12-2008, 05:07 PM
alright. just wanting to gain some knowledge about modding the engine. was wondering if there are schrick cams or any other aftermarket cams available for the M44?
if so, from where/whom?

ti97
02-26-2008, 01:20 PM
i'd also like to be informed on this particular topic, i've been looking and i can't seem to find any, then again i just bought my ti and i have only been looking for a week or 2

thanks!

Marv17
02-26-2008, 06:37 PM
well from what i've gathered, they are available. cost about $500 a piece which you need two parts. thats not including the cost of replacing the springs.
im not sure what else to replace/upgrade while doing a cam upgrade. i was told should change the valves too, but im unsure about that.
anyone with this type of knowledge would be greatly be appreciated.

the governor
03-13-2008, 06:30 AM
I haven't changed the cams on my ti yet. When I changed the cam (SOHC) on my VW I went 268 degree and changed the springs to dual valve springs, 7mm valve stem seals, lower spring seats, keepers, retainers, and installed an adjustable cam gear to get the most out of the new cam.

Marv17
03-13-2008, 07:59 AM
I haven't changed the cams on my ti yet. When I changed the cam (SOHC) on my VW I went 268 degree and changed the springs to dual valve springs, 7mm valve stem seals, lower spring seats, keepers, retainers, and installed an adjustable cam gear to get the most out of the new cam.

okay. i just read that. i really dont know what that means. im new to cam upgrade info.
so what would be needed to change the cams in the ti? and how much hp would be possible from the upgrade? hey gov'na what were your original and new numbers (HP) on your VW?

the governor
03-13-2008, 08:17 AM
okay. i just read that. i really dont know what that means. im new to cam upgrade info.
so what would be needed to change the cams in the ti? and how much hp would be possible from the upgrade? hey gov'na what were your original and new numbers (HP) on your VW?
I never did a before and after. The cam wouldn’t have gained more than 4-5whp but it moved the power band higher and allowed me to rev to 7200.
With the ti and 260/260 cams you might see 7-8 whp but the car would pull harder from 4000 - 7000. The dual valve springs (the m44 might already use dual valve springs, I'm not sure ask Lazoh or Jess) allow you to rev higher. The retainers, valves, keepers, seals, etc. are just recommended upgrades for the valve train when using a more aggressive cam.
I loved my VW with cams, it was fun as hell to drive and sounded nice and mean.
video link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYha-IrMn_o)
But cams are expensive when you compare the +hp:$ ratio. I spent $500 swapping in an OBD1 head, cams, etc. for a SOHC VW and my friend and I did all the work. The M44 is DOHC and a complete setup cams, springs, and the other recommended upgrades with set you back at least $600 for ~7-8 hp.