PDA

View Full Version : Heat doen's work ! What Happened? any idea?

steve318ti
02-13-2008, 01:17 AM
Well tonight we have this snow storm in CT, so I was driving back home really slowly. I was stoping and go for about 30 minutes up and down to the hill, then I noticed my thermostat gauge in the hot red area!!! I was about to freak out and decide to turn off the Heat, and the fans. I reduce my speed and put neutral for some time. The needle return to the normal position...after some minutes but when I tried to put the heat back I didnt work!!!!
What happened??????
How can I fix it?????????

Bluebimma
02-13-2008, 01:30 AM
As in, the fan doesnt work, or it just blows cool air?

steve318ti
02-13-2008, 01:35 AM
The fan works normally, but blows cool air, when I put the heat at max still cool air...If i put the knob to cold..gets colder air of course...

Bluebimma
02-13-2008, 02:16 AM
You dont have enough coolant in your system. Check and make sure youre not leaking coolant somewhere and fill the system to spec.

weshigh
02-13-2008, 02:39 AM
:( This happened to me too. It was caused by a cracked head. Not good. Hopefully its just a fluid leak and not something worse.

Bluebimma
02-13-2008, 02:42 AM
Cuising in neutral while overheating was a bad idea, but if the temp went back to normal in a few seconds then youre cool. If you were hot for like 15-20mins you couldve damaged something.

aceyx
02-13-2008, 02:57 AM
You dont have enough coolant in your system. Check and make sure youre not leaking coolant somewhere and fill the system to spec.
+1

Don't forget to burp it.

cooljess76
02-13-2008, 03:08 AM
:( This happened to me too. It was caused by a cracked head. Not good. Hopefully its just a fluid leak and not something worse.
It's not nice to blame crackheads for your cars mechanical problems. It's not their fault that your sh!ts broke, they just wanna smoke crackrocks:biggrin:

J/K seriously though, it's the other way around, over-heating the engine caused your head to crack.
Cuising in neutral while overheating was a bad idea, but if the temp went back to normal in a few seconds then youre cool. If you were hot for more than a minute, you couldve damaged something.
fixed.

IF YOU NOTICE YOUR CAR OVERHEATING, SHUT IT OFF IMMEDIATELY!!!
Better yet, replace your water pump, thermostat, radiator, plastic coolant lines and hoses every 100k miles to PREVENT your car from overheating. HEADGASKETS SUCK!

steve318ti
02-13-2008, 01:45 PM
I will check the car today. The whole cooling system in the car was replaced 2 years ago, including radiator. Last year after a trip from NH to CT I put my car in to the car wash!!!! the radiator fluid was coming out from idont know and the car overheat. The mechanic never found anything wrong with the radiator or any leaking. I replennish the radiator fluid and the car was perfect with not leakings since then.

steve318ti
02-13-2008, 02:24 PM
Today I start the car, temperature needle goes to the middle, the air blows normally but not heat whatsoever. But after some minutes idling the temperature needle start goign to hot.
What going on with it? I hope is not something $eriou$!

steve318ti
02-13-2008, 02:27 PM
What I would like to know, other than what is wrong and how can be fix it, is why the car go into this overheating problem, just driving in the snow at very low speed for 30 minutes?

Bluebimma
02-13-2008, 02:35 PM
Your thermostat is probably stuck closed.

steve318ti
02-13-2008, 04:16 PM
easy fix?

Bluebimma
02-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Easy, but its a 50$ part because the thermostat is integrated into the housing.