PDA

View Full Version : Tie Rods?

BMW95318TI
02-15-2008, 05:51 PM
Hey does anybody know how to change the LF & RF inner tie rods on my 95 318ti? NTB told me I need to take care of this before I have them do a alignment. :confused:

Is there a DIY somewhere and how hard do you guys think this is to do? Thanks

Mark

dave45056
02-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Ouch, looks expensive.
Should be straight forward. You'll need items 1,2,3,4,5,6 on the diagram.
I wonder what's in item 13, though ;)

I would consider having the shop install the parts if you're not handy with a wrench. Also, is NTB putting weight in the car as BMW says?

Rich
02-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Its not too bad cost wise. You only need parts 5&6, no need to replace the dust covers unless damaged. End of the day its up to you if you feel confident to do it yourself.

You may need a ball joint removal tool to get the old ones off >
http://www.machinemart.co.uk/images/library/product/medium/04/040211221.jpg?
Other than that all you need is a torque wrench to correctly torque up the bolts after you put it back on. The sets 5&6 should come with new lock nuts as they will need to be replaced.

Part 4 (steering lock) is only needed (if you haven't already got them installed) if you have wider tyres, I recently bought some of these for mine since they the car originally came with standard width wheels.

As you said get the alignment done after you've made the swap. I recommend that you try to adjust the new ones to be close length to the old.