PDA

View Full Version : HELP! heater hose connector to the head broke

96-318ti
02-24-2008, 06:01 AM
The connector at the back of the head broke on my way home yesterday. Is there an easy way to replace it? Do you access it from the top or over the transmission? I can barely feel the top bolt by sticking my hand back there. Any advice would be appreciated.

CirrusSR22
02-24-2008, 06:39 AM
It's not easy. Have you looked at my write-up on replacing this stuff? http://318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=18066 I put a new one in, but I had more of my engine disassembled. At a minimum I think you'd need to remove the upper intake manifold (not as hard as it sounds), plus the ducting/wiring channel at the firewall. Also not very hard.

It's a REALLY tight spot to work in. I'm pretty sure the top side is the only way to access it.

Here's what it looks like with the engine removed.http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f23/vasa58/M44/M44f.jpg

96-318ti
02-24-2008, 06:54 AM
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I saw your write up, but there wasn't really much said just about the connector. I already have the ducting under the windshield removed, but there doesn't seem to be enough room to get to it with tools. What does it take to remove the upper intake and wiring harness?

nvkulk
02-25-2008, 07:47 PM
It may be easier to take off the valve cover to get better access. I had a lift so with the car in the air, the two bolts (10mm??) were easy to get to( i did not take the valve cover off but i was thinking about it.) also its a good excuse to change out the valve cover gasket while you are there...

nik

96-318ti
02-26-2008, 02:38 AM
Thanks all for the pics and advice. It gives me a better idea of what I'm up against. I think it might be a little much for me on my driveway, and since its my daily driver I need it running soon. I had a mechanic take a look. I showed him the thread. He has a lift and thinks he should be able to get to it pretty easy. I hope he's right :) Thanks again!

nvkulk
02-26-2008, 11:27 PM
tell us the outcome...this is a nice forum i stumbled upon...i am newcomer as well and will try to help out. :)

nik

96-318ti
02-29-2008, 06:47 PM
It turns out that he had to take off the upper and lower intake to replace the back of the head to replace the connector. Since it was all apart, I went ahead and replaced all the heater hoses and the cabin air filters. Hopefully, I won't have this problem again for a while. Thanks again to everyone that helped.