PDA

View Full Version : Failed Smog/Emissions

the governor
03-07-2008, 01:23 AM
I failed emissions today
I failed on 2 areas. Low speed Hydrocarbons too high, easy one to fix. Run the test in 1st gear and get the revs up, hotter exhaust gas will help to burn off the excess carbons and the RRFPR dumps fuel in on the low end, higher revs would help with this.
The second area is the real shocker. I failed because the CEL is on with 7 codes. CEL bulb was removed because it sucks, my guy looked the other way on that and a few other aspects of the visual test.
Here are the codes.

P0743 TCC circuit electrical failure
P1761 Shift Solenoid Malfunction
P0753 Shift Sol A electrical
P0758 Shift Sol B electrical
P1423 Secondary Air Injection failure
P0443 Evap Purge Valve Open or Short Circuit Fault
P1174 Fuel Trim Adaptation Additive Bank 1 Malfunction

Most of the codes cleared when hooked up to a scanner. The transmissions codes could be fixed if I swap my ECU with one from a stock 5-speed. Unless the VIN is programmed into the ECU? Are they? The one I don't know how to fix is the P1174 Fuel Trim Adaptation Additive Bank 1 Malfunction. Any ideas? Will swapping the ECU work?

Or should I get NickG stage 2 software to adjust fuel delivery on the low end and have it written for a manual if possible.:biggrin: (this is a nice thought but not visible at the moment)

the governor
03-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Are there any shops in the LA area that can reprogram the M44 ECU?

Bobbak
03-07-2008, 08:33 PM
pm hugo hes done all sorts of stuff to his ECU if anyone will know its hugo :)

lazoh
03-08-2008, 03:55 AM
Did you take it to a "Test Only" station?

the governor
03-08-2008, 04:09 AM
Yeah the station was a Test Only.

lazoh
03-08-2008, 04:33 AM
Yeah the station was a Test Only.

I might be able to help you, let me know.

the governor
03-10-2008, 03:58 AM
Lazoh thanks for the offer. I may have found a shop that can re-code the DME. But first I want to ask. Has anyone had work done by the M shop in Eagle Rock?
http://www.themshop.com/index.php

HuGo
03-10-2008, 04:39 AM
The M Shop is usually booked all the time. Last time i was there, a guy named joe (owner and bmw master tech) was on the phone with a customer "i have something until 2 weeks." I laughed. Joe has a 332ti with the stage 2 AA supercharger kit pushing over 400hp on his ti :smile: The guys there are kool. Note: i have never done any work there. I used to stop by and say whats up.

HuGo
03-10-2008, 04:44 AM
In his ti....

http://www.themshop.com/photos/30_3.jpg

marko
03-10-2008, 02:05 PM
for the 2 below, you may wanna check the secondary air pump (make sure all rivets are in place - mine were busted & the air was coming out though the seems of the pump) and the shut off valve (take the thin rubber hose of & make sure the nosle isn't cloged - mine was).. good luck.

HuGo
03-10-2008, 10:47 PM
I stopped by The M Shop today to say whats up. As of today, i heard him say to his customer he has something open until march 19th. LoL, damn this guy is getting business.

Man, now they have two Ti's with s52!

Last time i was there, he had the s52 with AA supercharger in his ti (the pic i posted). I stopped by today, and now he put a 6spd tranny on that same ti now. Along with the supercharger and s52 doing 400+, i forgot to mention he has a 3.73LSD on. That sh!t must be facking fast!

thesk8nmidget
03-10-2008, 10:58 PM
i could only imagine......

im drolling a little...

damnit

the governor
03-11-2008, 01:45 AM
for the 2 below, you may wanna check the secondary air pump (make sure all rivets are in place - mine were busted & the air was coming out though the seems of the pump) and the shut off valve (take the thin rubber hose of & make sure the nosle isn't cloged - mine was).. good luck.

The secondary air pump is removed. I could put it back in but I'd rather clear the codes right before running the test and leave the pump out.

I talked to Joe at the M shop, really nice guy. he told me what I need to do and he is going to help me out. I need the 7 digit part number and vin from a manual '97 ti active package and he will re-flash the DME with the program from the manual on my DME. Does anyone have a '97 active 5 speed that would help me out?

the governor
03-12-2008, 04:50 AM
Does anyone know the 7 digit part number for a '97 manual DME? Or know where I could find that info?

marko
03-13-2008, 03:44 PM
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.do?model=CG73&mospid=47506

just make sure you select info for a 97ti..

Does anyone know the 7 digit part number for a '97 manual DME? Or know where I could find that info?

marko
03-13-2008, 05:00 PM
wait a sec.. is that possible? wont the CEL be on all the time??
I'd love to be able to do that.. mine failed twice already.

has anyone ever just removed their secondary air pump?

The secondary air pump is removed. I could put it back in but I'd rather clear the codes right before running the test and leave the pump out.

the governor
03-13-2008, 06:30 PM
Thanks Marko! Now I have the part number. Is the VIN # programmed into the DME in a 02/97 ti? At some point between 97-98 they started programming the VIN in the DME does anyone know when that started?

the governor
03-13-2008, 06:56 PM
What I've found when you remove the secondary air pump it will throw a CEL code on the first cold start but the secondary pump only works on cold starts to help burn off the emissions until the cat is heated up. So you can remove the secondary air pump but you need to warm the car up and then clear all codes before taking it to SMOG. As long as the car stays hot the pump won’t turn on.

marko
03-13-2008, 07:28 PM
not really sure about the programed DME vin #s.. but one thing I wanted to remind you is that you should select your specific vehicle from the drop down menues on RealOem.com - I belive what I atached was already pre-selected for my 99 318ti.
Jsut to make sure you got the right part # you may wanna go back to the main page of realoem.com & select a 97 318ti.

Thanks Marko! Now I have the part number. Is the VIN # programmed into the DME in a 02/97 ti? At some point between 97-98 they started programming the VIN in the DME does anyone know when that started?

marko
03-13-2008, 07:32 PM
true, but wont you have to reset the CEL every time your car is cold (like every day you get into it)?

also, your DME will store data for some time... so even if you reset the codes & then try and pass emissions - you will fail (I did).
you need to go through a drive cycle (I heard about 25-50 miles) after you've reset all codes - and only then you should go & try to get inspected.

What I've found when you remove the secondary air pump it will throw a CEL code on the first cold start but the secondary pump only works on cold starts to help burn off the emissions until the cat is heated up. So you can remove the secondary air pump but you need to warm the car up and then clear all codes before taking it to SMOG. As long as the car stays hot the pump won’t turn on.

the governor
03-13-2008, 07:38 PM
Jsut to make sure you got the right part # you may wanna go back to the main page of realoem.com & select a 97 318ti.
I selected the month/year for my car.

true, but wont you have to reset the CEL every time your car is cold (like every day you get into it)?

also, your DME will store data for some time... so even if you reset the codes & then try and pass emissions - you will fail (I did).
you need to go through a drive cycle (I heard about 25-50 miles) after you've reset all codes - and only then you should go & try to get inspected.
Yes you will have to reset the codes. The CEL bulb is out of my car so I dont have to look at it everyday. But you are correct before I go for emissions again I will need to reset the codes and go for a drive.

HuGo
03-14-2008, 01:42 AM
I'm still sh!tting it cuz i still have to get my car inspected at the ref.

the governor
03-14-2008, 03:32 AM
Hugo have you cleared your CEL?

Lazoh thanks for the help :cool:

HuGo
03-14-2008, 03:59 AM
Nah. It's going to be there for life.

lazoh
03-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Lazoh thanks for the help :cool:

Anytime bro!!

nyle
03-14-2008, 08:47 PM

I talked to Joe at the M shop, really nice guy. he told me what I need to do and he is going to help me out. I need the 7 digit part number and vin from a manual '97 ti active package and he will re-flash the DME with the program from the manual on my DME. Does anyone have a '97 active 5 speed that would help me out?

when you clear the codes you also clear the emissions info. your car collects sensor data and when they hook up their emissions tool if there isn't enough info it will say so. that is not a passing condition.

My pump fails but i've found that i can clear the code, drive enough to get emissions data and pass without my code coming on. Actually last november the code came back on within a mile of the inspection place.

the governor
05-09-2008, 11:40 PM
Update: I disconnected the EGS (automatic transmission control unit) and three transmission related codes disappeared. But now I have a new code P0600 serial comm link malfunction. I can not clear this code, it comes right back. I believe P0600 is caused by the DME looking for the EGS. I think I may have to recode the DME. The M Shop was unable to recode the DME possibly because the EGS was still connected and the DME wouldn’t except a manual program with the EGS connected.
If any can shed some light on this it is greatly appreciated.

cooljess76
05-09-2008, 11:58 PM
Update: I disconnected the EGS (automatic transmission control unit) and three transmission related codes disappeared. But now I have a new code P0600 serial comm link malfunction. I can not clear this code, it comes right back. I believe P0600 is caused by the DME looking for the EGS. I think I may have to recode the DME. The M Shop was unable to recode the DME possibly because the EGS was still connected and the DME wouldn’t except a manual program with the EGS connected.
If any can shed some light on this it is greatly appreciated.
That's it Noah, take it back to the M Shop!

the governor
07-08-2008, 11:54 PM
Big thanks to The M Shop. They were able to recode the DME and I passed smog!
Finally registered in Cali!

lazoh
07-09-2008, 03:38 AM

Awesome news Noah!!

DustenT
07-11-2008, 02:16 PM

I got the pic you sent me, that's awesome. Good work on getting all those codes take care of, who knew emissions could be such a pain in the ass. Did you just trash those Wisconsin plates?

the governor
07-12-2008, 04:15 AM
Emissions Blow!!!
No I have the plates in an envelop. Shoot me our address and I'll send them your way.