PDA

View Full Version : I cant remove the thermostat!

BobbyDigital
03-09-2008, 06:58 PM
I'm in the process of replacing my thermostat, I've got the housing off, but for some reason I cant get the thermostat out. I've pulled, pried, banged, I dont know what else to do.

Anybody else ever have this problem or know of the trick to getting it out?

Thanks!

cooljess76
03-09-2008, 07:02 PM
The plastic housing thermostats are integrated and sold as a unit.

BobbyDigital
03-09-2008, 07:07 PM
I guess I should have added its a '95, so its the M42.

cooljess76
03-09-2008, 07:17 PM
I guess I should have added its a '95, so its the M42.
Oh okay, the aluminum housing thermostats come apart. It sounds like it's seized in there. If you're replacing the thermostat and not concerned with damaging the old one, try grabbing the thermostat with a pair of channel locks and twisting it to break it loose.

BobbyDigital
03-09-2008, 07:19 PM
TWIST! Thats one thing I didnt do. So basically its just stuck and theres no real trick or something I'm not doing.

Awesome thanks man. I'll go out and try twisting.

I just looked on RealOEM and saw the M44's housing/thermostat, it looks easier to do...

thesk8nmidget
03-09-2008, 07:26 PM
yeah but the m44 thermostats cost a bit more... like 40 dollars!

BobbyDigital
03-09-2008, 07:31 PM
I dont know. Twisting just seems to twist the aluminum. I guess I dont want to use any kind of penetrating oil huh? I'm about to attach it to my truck somehow and just pull it out with that!

aceyx
03-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Try using a hammer to knock it side to side. Watch your swing carefully.

If you have a mirror, try and look in to see if maybe something is lodged or if it's just a case of cold welding.

cooljess76
03-09-2008, 08:12 PM
lol, I'm sorry man. That sucker must really be stuck in there! Penetrating oil might help, otherwise perhaps you can tie the housing to a tree and the thermostat to a bicycle, J/K:biggrin:

BobbyDigital
03-09-2008, 08:18 PM
Well, 296,000 miles later, I dont know if its ever been replaced, so I guess it has had some time to get comfortable.

Its actually stuck in the head, the housing came off fine.

BobbyDigital
03-09-2008, 08:46 PM
OK! So I got the pry hammer and popped it out! Geez, why is it that the easiest tasks turn out the be the biggest pains?

A couple of weeks ago, I was putting my 17s back on, and as I was lift the last corner of the car, ball bearings started falling out of my jack! It wouldnt raise the car anymore! That turned out to be fun, I thought I was gonna have to drive to the store with 3 17s and 1 15!

Anyway, thanks guys!

thesk8nmidget
03-09-2008, 08:56 PM
well good thing you got her finally!

cooljess76
03-09-2008, 09:37 PM
Its actually stuck in the head, the housing came off fine.
:eek:Doh!!! It just get's better and better
why is it that the easiest tasks turn out the be the biggest pains?
Ain't that the truth, I've had big tasks go smoothly and small tasks take hours even weeks! Atleast it's Sunday afternoon and not 2:00am on a weekday. How's the weather in VA right now? Seems like these things happen to me more often when it's dark and freezing outside. Anyway Bobby, glad you managed to tackle it. Wish I could've been more helpful.

BobbyDigital
03-09-2008, 10:12 PM
You were plenty helpful.

I just got back from Chicago, so 49 degrees is plenty warm!

thesk8nmidget
03-09-2008, 10:16 PM
i would die in 49 degree weather now that im used to this texas heat. the only place i get internet for free is on my porch so i sit out here day or night usually bare foot and in a t shirt :)

but i do miss the cold weather! (the snow)

BobbyDigital
03-09-2008, 10:17 PM
"Borrowing" someone's wireless eh?

thesk8nmidget
03-09-2008, 10:33 PM
shhhhh.... they are listening!

roadrash
03-10-2008, 12:25 AM
shhhhh.... they are listening!
"They" could be any number of people who are sniffing that signal, just waiting for passwords to float by. Not that I know anything about that sort of thing. :cool:

Back to the topic though.

A thermostat was one of the first things my car needed. I read here how simple it was and I almost attempted it myself. But, I decided that it probably needed something else done too, and I wanted a mechanic to check it over anyway, so I had him do it. It ended up being seized enough that one of the bolts broke off and had to be drilled out. If I'd attempted that job, the mechanic would have eventually had to come to my place and that would have been a lot more expensive.

So, yeah... some of the "simple" jobs are far from "easy."

tiFreak
03-11-2008, 01:58 AM
i sit out here day or night usually bare foot and in a t shirt :)

no pants!?!?! :eek: what do the neighbors think about that?

thesk8nmidget
03-11-2008, 03:41 PM
well they cant really see since our porch has a wodden wall about waist high or higher so they see nothing

Bobbak
03-11-2008, 03:56 PM
i have to change my thermostat as well. can you post pics please i really dont have that much to go on other then what has been told to me and this thread BTW i also have an M42

mohaughn
03-11-2008, 07:28 PM
yeah but the m44 thermostats cost a bit more... like 40 dollars!

And the housing on the plastic ones can easily break. That is the nice thing about having an aluminum housing.

On the e30 and older cars people replace the plastic housings for the aluminum ones.

BobbyDigital
03-11-2008, 10:39 PM
i have to change my thermostat as well. can you post pics please i really dont have that much to go on other then what has been told to me and this thread BTW i also have an M42

I didnt take any pictures, its pretty darn easy though, I had to remove the camshaft position sensor to get its cable out of the way. Then, its 4 10mm bolts holding the housing to the head. The thermostat pops right out, NOT! I would get a new housing gasket as well.

Make sure you bleed the air out too, by filling it with more coolant and squeezing the upper radiator hose to force the air out.

b.u.ti-ful
03-11-2008, 11:28 PM
This might be helpful:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-thermostat/E36-thermostat.htm