PDA

View Full Version : Help Please with DME Problem

compasspnt
03-12-2008, 12:49 AM
Hello all,

I have a right hand drive 381ti (from Japan, 1996) here in The Bahamas. During Hurricane Noel last October, water got in the engine, and the next day it would not start. My mechanic here said the problem was the Bosch Motronic DME (0 261 203 667). It was totally dead.

I finally found a rebuilt one at AUTOEMS.com, and shipped it in.

The mechanic replaced it, and now the car is alive, but still will not start...he is getting a code, I think that says the security is locked.

Can I open these DME's up and swap the EPROM(s) into the rebuilt from my original one? Will that bring it back to orig?

Alternatively, is there some way to program the rebuilt one?

There is no official BMW dealer here on our island, so I am at the mercy of less than official help.

I would really like my beloved 18 back!

Any idea greatly appreciated.

Terry

1996 328ti
03-12-2008, 01:24 AM
A 96 ECU doesn't have EPROMs. It's flash.
My guess is the ECU needs to be aligned with the EWS.

compasspnt
03-12-2008, 03:21 AM
Thanks Steven.

I hate to be stupid, but how would one do that without a dealer here?

Best regards.

1996 328ti
03-12-2008, 03:26 AM
Thanks Steven.

I hate to be stupid, but how would one do that without a dealer here?

Best regards.No clue. But that is only my guess.

jonchino
03-12-2008, 03:44 AM
maybe give these guys a call

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/html/faq_ews.shtml

What does our D-EWS software do?

The D-EWS-II software that we sell are for E36 M3 models produced 1996-2000 (M3, MZ3). The chip de-activates the EWS-II within the DME. This means that you do not need ANY EWS-II parts remaining in your car.

So, this software is not designed for people experiencing problems with their current EWS-II system. If your EWS-II system is faulty only a BMW dealer or independent shop with the proper diagnostic equipment can fix it.