PDA

View Full Version : Colorado / Rocky Mountain Meet

mfixit
03-30-2008, 04:40 PM
Pheew! Those old threads are getting loooooong! I figured that, maybe, we could start a new/shorter one?

Anyone wanna' plan a May one---so that it's far enough out for people to plan around it? April's hairy with weather, taxes, yadda yadda.

teetime4one
03-30-2008, 05:40 PM
i like it!
we also talked about a drive in about 2-3 weeks (weather permitting).

NOTE: i have your tires at the shop Michelle...when do you want to pick them up?

mfixit
03-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Sweet! I haven't been driving my baby because the tires are sooooooo bad. Is your shop the one on Bway? I could have the hubster drive the car in one day this week---he usually bikes to/from work. You just name the day/time and I'll send the hubster with my baby. I can't drop it off---I'm at work by o'dark'thirty in the morning.

I still think I have to do something for you guys. Gas to Ft. Collins ain't cheap and you guys all have a ton of time into this. :smile:

elchicano
03-30-2008, 11:41 PM
Well hope that works out for you. Since we are talking about a drive in may we could cruise round for cinco de mayo. But we should do something else because it does get boring after a while. Well if you can come out to the meet in april Michelle we are doing a drive and after that i guess we are having some kind of picnic or something.

Borg561
03-31-2008, 03:00 AM
Checking in to do some very pre-trip planning. Looking at a 7.5 hour drive one way under perfect conditions (home to "Denver," I'm assuming that uses the middle of Denver). Any better specific location I should map to (I'm using MS MapPoint 2004)? Also, should I look for a cheap hotel or would I be able to crash with someone out there?

Sounds like weekends would work best for you guys and I'm trying to figure out what days to plan for. If I were to leave right after I got off work on a Friday, I wouldn't get out there until 1:30am-ish. If that would be too late, I could leave early Saturday and be out there by noon or so. Coming back, if I want to go to work Monday, I'd need to leave by 6pm or so Sunday so I could get home and get some sleep. This would only require me to get time off from my part-time job (should be no problem, especially if it's mid to late-May).

Definately want to spend a good day out there with you guys (and gals?). Two would be even better. Just not sure yet how time-off is going to work with my new job (I start a week from tomorrow). Guess I should also look at budgeting for gas. Looking at ~540 miles one way. Not sure what my mileage is on the car yet, but I'm guessing I'll be looking at 3 full tanks of gas at a minimum?

Justin

PettitWC
03-31-2008, 05:27 AM
yeah, this is gonna be awesome with all these people!

cali-ti
03-31-2008, 07:53 PM
Checking in to do some very pre-trip planning. Looking at a 7.5 hour drive one way under perfect conditions (home to "Denver," I'm assuming that uses the middle of Denver). Any better specific location I should map to (I'm using MS MapPoint 2004)? Also, should I look for a cheap hotel or would I be able to crash with someone out there?

Sounds like weekends would work best for you guys and I'm trying to figure out what days to plan for. If I were to leave right after I got off work on a Friday, I wouldn't get out there until 1:30am-ish. If that would be too late, I could leave early Saturday and be out there by noon or so. Coming back, if I want to go to work Monday, I'd need to leave by 6pm or so Sunday so I could get home and get some sleep. This would only require me to get time off from my part-time job (should be no problem, especially if it's mid to late-May).

Definately want to spend a good day out there with you guys (and gals?). Two would be even better. Just not sure yet how time-off is going to work with my new job (I start a week from tomorrow). Guess I should also look at budgeting for gas. Looking at ~540 miles one way. Not sure what my mileage is on the car yet, but I'm guessing I'll be looking at 3 full tanks of gas at a minimum?

Justin
i would think highway you'd be able to get at least 400 miles per tank so 3 minimum is probably a good bet.

you could crash at my place (mead, CO 80542) which is about 30 miles north of denver just off I-25 if that works for you. i have one spare bedroom (complete with bed!) that you can use.

mfixit
04-01-2008, 01:10 AM
Does anyone know how to do the rsvp set-up? If so, I have an idea (yup, I've been thinking---you all probably smelled dust from my brain getting warmed up).
In order to get the most folks there, is there a way for people to rsvp what days they CAN come? Then, we can set up the day that most people can attend, or the people from the farthest, etc.

cali-ti
04-01-2008, 03:30 AM
hmmmm ... not sure the rsvp works that way (put in what dates you're available). believe it's just for saying you can come or not. we usually beat the bushes and see what date comes out :)

Borg561
04-01-2008, 03:56 AM
Well, for me, Saturday or Sunday (until 6pm-ish) would work best for me. Mid to late-May would probably be best, but I could probably swing it for the weekend of the 10-11th.

Justin

cali-ti
04-01-2008, 04:36 AM
if i'm in town, i'm generally going to be available as long as we set a date far enough ahead.

i just had an idea!!!! i believe tomorrow is the day they open up the registration for the drive for the cure in this area (80542 zip code) so i'll find out what dates they have at what dealerships in the area and post them up. i love to do my part to save breasts by driving BMWs!

PettitWC
04-01-2008, 04:42 AM
i'm free the 1st and third weekends and the fourth sunday...i know, I actually have some weekend days off this month!!!

teetime4one
04-01-2008, 04:44 AM
YES-YES-YES!
lets drive for the cure!

i tend to agree with Eric about our Meets...it's usually best to play it by ear and go from there. ya know...throw it against the wall and see what sticks.
i am open for any given sunday from now until the end of October.
so there ya go...work with that and i'm in!
did i mention that Michelle has a Killer ti?
and, she's the original owner!
her Hubster (Mitch) is a cool dude...

Borg561
04-01-2008, 05:21 AM
if i'm in town, i'm generally going to be available as long as we set a date far enough ahead.

i just had an idea!!!! i believe tomorrow is the day they open up the registration for the drive for the cure in this area (80542 zip code) so i'll find out what dates they have at what dealerships in the area and post them up. i love to do my part to save breasts by driving BMWs!

Just threw your zip code in and registration is already open and the event is on May 7th at Co's BMW Center in Loveland. There's one on the 8th in Colorado Springs at Phil Winslow BMW as well. All M3 and Alpina B7 (both you need to be 30+ to drive) slots are currently open for the event on the 7th if anyone is interested in either of those. I can guarantee those two will fill up fast. I plan on hitting up both events here (one in Lincoln, one in Omaha) as I've done for the past three years.

As for the date, pick a weekend in May and I'll try my hardest to be there. As long as the date is decided in the next 2-3 weeks I should be fine.

Justin

teetime4one
04-01-2008, 05:24 AM
sign us all up Eric!
i'm in

cali-ti
04-01-2008, 05:31 AM
7 may is a wednesday, take that into consideration. i'll take some time off, i really like to save breasts!

teetime4one
04-01-2008, 05:35 AM
i'm off that day too!
or...i will be!
boobs need me!
who wants pie?

cali-ti
04-01-2008, 05:40 AM
i'm now signed up for the M3 @ 11am and the alpina B7 @ noon! good call on that one justin :)

EDIT: keep in mind, the time slots they have on the website are NOT the only ones available. they leave slots for people to walk up and start driving. i'm imagining a late morning arrival, bit of a late lunch at hooters, more driving, then another stop at hooters (perhaps a few brews at this point, but not during lunch).

Borg561
04-01-2008, 05:55 AM
i'm now signed up for the M3 @ 11am and the alpina B7 @ noon! good call on that one justin :)

They haven't had an ///M car at one of these in years (was told someone flipped one about 6-7 years ago) and the Alpina is the first one in the US in forever. The 650 'vert also usually fills up pretty fast if anyone is interested in it. And if someone hasn't driven the Z4 coupe, it's a blast and one that I'd recommend.

Looks like I've got to settle for the 760Li this year as I'm only 26 (hasn't been a 760 in any of the last 3 years I've gone). It's a fun event. I usually take the entire day off work and spend the whole day there, hopping in any available car. It's a fun event and it's for a good cause, so it's a win for everyone.

Justin

teetime4one
04-01-2008, 06:11 AM
i signed up for a B7 at 11:00 and the M3 at noon.
Cindy is in the Z4 cabrio at 11:00 and the M3 at 1:00.
hope she can drive any other left over cars at noon...otherwise she'll get bored.
this is going to be fun stuff!
right on Justin!

cali-ti
04-01-2008, 06:15 AM
with the number of cars, she should be able to hop into one that's free. there are always some (like x3 or x5 3.0) that people don't really care that much about. she'll be fine!

teetime4one
04-01-2008, 06:19 AM
sweet!

Borg561
04-01-2008, 12:45 PM
i signed up for a B7 at 11:00 and the M3 at noon.
Cindy is in the Z4 cabrio at 11:00 and the M3 at 1:00.

A bit envious of you guys. I sooo want to drive the M3, but I'm only 26. Last year I was looking forward to the 650i 'vert (first year I was 25) and by the time they stopped around here that car was out with transmission problems.

hope she can drive any other left over cars at noon...otherwise she'll get bored.

Like cali-ti said, she shouldn't have a problem getting into another car around noon. They only take one reservation per car, per hour, but usually each car makes it out 3-4 times each hour (depending on how long the route is). Looking at the list, I'll guess the 328xi, 535xiT, X3 3.0si, or X5 3.0si are her best bets for something around that time. My advice would be to get there early and put her name down for another car of her choice for noon. Depending on when people with reservations show up, she might get that car, or another one might be free.

this is going to be fun stuff!
right on Justin!

Not a problem. If cali-ti hadn't originally mentioned registration opening in your area I wouldn't have even looked. It's an event I look forward to each year, and back in February I hit the map for one of the first events in the country to draw up a list of what cars they have this year.

And for anyone looking for the registration link, it's here (https://www.bmwusa.com/Secured/Content/Forms/UDSKForm.aspx).

Crap, just realized that with the new job, I'm going to have to take a day or two off work to go to it here, and it happens to be right around July 4th. Event on the 3rd here in Omaha, and I'm gonna guess I'm screwed trying to get that day off, and one on the 7th down the road in Lincoln. I usually make it to both, but I have a feeling Lincoln is going to be my only chance this year.

Justin

cali-ti
04-01-2008, 02:11 PM
i literally checked it before i posted to make sure of the date (4/1) and it wasn't yet open. you must have caught it right when they opened it up! sweet deal cause then we get the prime spots :) nice work!

teetime4one
04-01-2008, 02:28 PM
yep, i'm stoked!
i sent PM's to Dave and Michelle...i'll send one to Clay right now!

Borg561
04-01-2008, 02:33 PM
Just had a thought regarding the meetup. Are any of you guys/gals whiskey or scotch drinkers? Stranahans Distillery (http://www.stranahans.com/) is located in Denver. The GM at a local bar (with a HUGE collection of single-malt scotch and liquor in general) knows the guys there pretty well. If there's enough interest, I could try and see if we couldn't get a tour & tasting set up. Looks like they're going to be at Whiskey Fest in Chicago this week and I could talk to them there. I notice their website says tours are only given Monday - Thursday between 9-11:30am, but there's a slim chance I could get some strings pulled. And maybe get them to bring out some of their port-finished whiskey too, it's better than what you can buy. :biggrin:

Justin

teetime4one
04-01-2008, 02:36 PM
oh hell no!
count me in...i love scotch!

mfixit
04-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Scotch/whiskey? I'd better line up a sitter, or learn to drink it from a sippee cup....

Any of you guys seen/read about the new 1 series? I know it's a chick thing to call it "cute", but wow! Now I just have to find a non-crime related job that pays enough for that.....

Borg561
04-01-2008, 03:07 PM
Scotch/whiskey? I'd better line up a sitter, or learn to drink it from a sippee cup....

Well, generally at a tasting you'd only get 0.5-1 ounce, so it's not much, and you sip it. I'm sure they'd have water too, in case you wanted to bring the strength down. It was just a thought I tossed out. I'm a big scotch drinker, and upon remembering Stranahans is out there I figured it would be nice to tour while I'm there. Can't say anything will happen for sure, but I'll try my hardest and pull whatever strings I can. It could just end up being a tour, but then I could always bring some goodies along from my stash at home (list is here (http://msbeta.tripod.com/scotch-own.html)).

Any of you guys seen/read about the new 1 series? I know it's a chick thing to call it "cute", but wow! Now I just have to find a non-crime related job that pays enough for that.....

Seen pics, haven't seen one in person yet. I definately like the looks of it, but for the money I'd probably just save up a bit more and get an E92.

Justin

cali-ti
04-01-2008, 04:21 PM
always open to learning new things so i'd be up for the tour/tasting if you can get it hooked up. i really don't need any more expensive hobbies, but ... whatever :)

i'd want the 135 and it's just too expensive. i'd rather keep my ti going and get a used elise/exige for a track car (that's the plan for the future).

elchicano
04-01-2008, 04:22 PM
Aw crap i tried registering but you have to be at least 21 to drive something. i'll be 20 on the 26th of april. So no luck there. I might just show up though just to check out the cars or something.

Borg561
04-01-2008, 06:20 PM
Aw crap i tried registering but you have to be at least 21 to drive something. i'll be 20 on the 26th of april. So no luck there. I might just show up though just to check out the cars or something.

I think you only have to be 18 to ride along in a car, but you still have to sign one of their waiver thingies. I'd say show up and see if you can get a ride in the M3 from one of the guys here that registered.

Justin

cali-ti
04-01-2008, 07:17 PM
come along and ride, it'll still be fun!

elchicano
04-01-2008, 10:14 PM
yea not as fun as driving the car itself though but i'll see. I might just go, I haven't heard anything from the interpreting job so i might just be able to go.

PettitWC
04-01-2008, 11:40 PM
i wanna do this!!!!

cali-ti
04-01-2008, 11:41 PM
are you working chris? if not, get your a$$ signed up!

Borg561
04-02-2008, 02:57 AM
Okay, for those interested in the possible tour/tasting at Stranahans, can I get a head count so I know how many people to let them know we'd have when I talk to them on Friday. I'm guessing at least 5-6. It would be sometime between Saturday and Monday morning. Normally they only do tours Mon-Thurs. in the mornings, so no guarantees it would happen on weekend. Would also help to know which day(s) would work for everyone. I know it sounds like weekends are best, but there's a chance that wouldn't happen.

Justin

cali-ti
04-02-2008, 03:01 AM
not sure i could do monday morning, but otherwise should work.

elchicano
04-02-2008, 04:27 AM
crap i don't get to do anything fun, not even legal to drink. hey at least it doesn't stop me.

Borg561
04-02-2008, 08:53 AM
crap i don't get to do anything fun, not even legal to drink. hey at least it doesn't stop me.

You should still be able to go on the tour if I can get it set up. I know you don't have to be 21 to go on the tours at a Budweiser factory. No guarantees on a tasting afterwards at the distillery, but I could always bring a couple bottles along and we could do our own tasting at someone's house. ;)

Justin

mfixit
04-02-2008, 01:13 PM
I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing my boss would frown on drinking before work. Weekends are my only option. Have fun, though!

teetime4one
04-02-2008, 01:51 PM
I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing my boss would frown on drinking before work. Weekends are my only option. Have fun, though!

+1
although, i could take a day off...Hmmmmmm :rolleyes:

PettitWC
04-02-2008, 08:30 PM

that old chestnut...

Borg561
04-02-2008, 08:40 PM

Nobody ever said the boss would have to know. I've gone to work after having a drink or two before. As long as you don't over-indulge (and maybe have something to cover up the whiskey breath), I don't think you'd have a problem. Anywho, made a new thread for this. Tasting (either at Stranahans or with some bottles I'm likely to bring) would 99% sure happen on the weekend.

Justin