PDA

View Full Version : CLEANING ENGINE BAY

BMVUS
04-03-2008, 09:24 AM
Hey guys, I had a look through other peoples post's but i'm going to ask anywayz hehe hopefully have some fresh information! i want to give my engine bay a really good thorough clean, pretty much have the thing looking new again. I was going to use degreaser or a detergent and a high pressure washer. Any do's or dont's? What parts of the engine should I cover up (not to get wet) before washing?

Thanks guys

Dave - a.k.a BM-V-US

marko
04-03-2008, 12:32 PM
Use Gunk, it works well.. but make sure you tape off ALL the electrical conections that you can reach, control modules, etc.
Also, make sure you dont get water in the spark plug holes.

teetime4one
04-03-2008, 01:27 PM
cover the alternator

cooljess76
04-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Your DME (ECU) is behind the battery inside the firewall. This area is sometimes known to leak on other e36 models. Avoid spraying water behind the battery.

For best results, degrease the engine while it's warm. I recommend getting a coarse bristle brush like a toilet brush or maybe even a paint brush from the .99 cent store.

Use Gunk Engine Brite or a similar degreaser to break the thick stuff loose. Brake cleaner works great and doesn't dry out the rubber and plastic parts like carb cleaner does. However, it evaporates quickly so only use it in the tough/hard to reach areas if necessary. Try not to get degreaser on the belts and pulleys. Let the engine degreaser soak in for a few minutes, while using the brush to scrub the corners and crevices.

Once the majority of thick crud is removed, use a spray bottle with a Simple Green and water solution to finish the lighter duty areas and continue to spray the other areas to prevent them from drying. Use Simple Green or dishwashing liquid with degreasing properties such as Dawn or Palmolive to scrub the painted surfaces such as the strut towers.

Once you're satisfied that the grease is removed, use a garden hose to rinse all of the chemicals and residual grease out of the engine bay. Be careful not to spray water into any electrical components and especially keep water away from the area behind the battery. Let the engine bay dry for a few minutes and wipe down with a towel.

Use ArmorAll or a similar product to refresh the plastic pieces such as the radiator cover. Use belt dressing to polish the belts and hoses, but be careful not to get any on the inside of the belts or pulleys. Finish up by waxing and polishing the painted areas and you're done.

BMVUS
04-04-2008, 07:02 AM
thanks guys.. hopefully we have gunk here in aus! hehe..

KabeNZ
12-12-2015, 02:18 AM
Hi all, I am keen to clean my very dusty engine bay on my 318 ti 1995. I do not know which parts I need to cover up and protect from water. I know the alternator is one,- but where is the alternator? this is my problem, if i am just told which parts to cover it means nothing to me as I don't know where most parts are!. Total newbie here. :) thanks

Shellback
12-13-2015, 11:23 PM
I've seen folks cover all electrical parts with aluminum foil, like wrapping a baked potato and tossing it in the in BBQ....:smile: