PDA

View Full Version : scared of hydo-locking

tiFreak
04-05-2008, 11:17 PM
I've got a Cosmo Racing intake that comes out right behind my bumper and I'm a little concerned about sucking water into the intake and hydro-locking my engine, does anyone know of anything that can be done to eliminate any chance of this happening? this is my only car so not driving it in the rain isn't an option

b.u.ti-ful
04-05-2008, 11:35 PM
This is from wikipedia:

When using a cold air intake, there is a potential risk when driving in the rain. This is often referred to as "hydrolock", and according to the automotive portal, MODsearch:

"Say it's raining cats and dogs and you're out for a spin in your car. Normally you'd love to rip through puddles without thinking twice, but because your engine is now getting air from inside your bumper you have to be careful. If your engine manages to suck up any amount of water through the intake and into the engine you will probably have little to no horsepower left. In more extreme cases, the water brought into the engine through the intake can actually break connecting rods in the pistons, as water will not compress at all, unlike air. In other words, be careful."

It is important to take precautions when using a cold air intake as to avoid getting water in the engine. This may include installing a water shield in the intake or not driving in the rain at all. It is also notable that less damage will occur from water reaching the engine on a rotary engine car, as opposed to a piston engine car.[citation needed] Some cold air intake manufacturers now include a built in hydro-shield, a piece of plastic that blocks water from entering the air filter. K&N also offers a "sock" called the "Drycharger", which prevents hydrolock. These precautions are unnecessary for the most-part however, because for water to enter you intake manifold your filter would have to be almost fully submerged with water for an extensive period of time.

Air bypass valves are gaining popularity in cold air intake manufacturing. An air bypass valve is a filtered spacer that is positioned more into the engine bay, between two connected pieces of the cold air intake assembly. This prevents hydro-locking by providing an alternate route for air to come in, thus eliminating the vacuum that causes water to be sucked in from a puddle. Foam filters are a simple piece of foam that is air permeable, and most have no valve. It is argued that this reduces power, but in actuality it provides more surface area for air to enter the engine when the driver presses the pedal. When driving at moderate speeds, the suction caused by the engine is not enough to activate the air bypass valve. Cloth filter bypass valves actually have a valve, air only enters if the valve is sucked open as result of the vacuum pressure caused by a blocked filter at the bottom of the intake. When it comes to cold air intakes this is the "best of both worlds"

Marv17
04-06-2008, 12:17 AM
i have the cosmo cold air intake myself. havent had any problems. then again, i've been careful driving around when it rains here. i try to spot the BIG puddles and dodge them. just dont go thru huge puddles if you dont need to. or you can just put the stock air intake on when its the rainy season...

tiFreak
04-06-2008, 03:05 AM
These precautions are unnecessary for the most-part however, because for water to enter you intake manifold your filter would have to be almost fully submerged with water for an extensive period of time.

well, that's good to know, guess I won't be attempting any river crossings unless I turn the intake upside down :biggrin:

robcarync
04-08-2008, 09:03 PM
if you have the splash guard on the bottom, it shouldnt be a problem. you can also modify the intake so it sits higher up but still out of the engine compartment like i did...

search for "Modified Cosmo Cold Air Intake System" - good write up with how i did the modifications. something to throw around

blndweasel
04-08-2008, 09:32 PM
hmmm... sorry to be a jerk about it, but I was just thinking: "funny how you don't run into problems like this with a stock airbox"

I see it as a rather simple tradeoff. If you're bent on trying to get an extra 1% of power out of your engine (a point which in and of itself is arguable), you have to make sacrifices. Like being able to drive in the rain without having to worry about hydrolock.

$.02

tiFreak
04-08-2008, 11:43 PM
yeah, I see what you're saying, I really just wanted the intake for looks and sound, not for power

zboot
04-08-2008, 11:49 PM
hmmm... sorry to be a jerk about it, but I was just thinking: "funny how you don't run into problems like this with a stock airbox"

I see it as a rather simple tradeoff. If you're bent on trying to get an extra 1% of power out of your engine (a point which in and of itself is arguable), you have to make sacrifices. Like being able to drive in the rain without having to worry about hydrolock.

$.02
Heck, why limit it to just the stock airbox. Same thing applies to those whippersnappers tinting their windows, DASCing their engines, and ellipsoiding their headlights.

In my day, you walked 10 miles to school in deep snow, uphill, both ways, in the summer!

BMW_Hatchback
04-08-2008, 11:58 PM
I have a cosmo CAI and I've driven in more rain than ever on these back roads for the past few months. For all of that time, the driver's side underbody(splash guard) was gone so the intake was fully exposed to the road. I think I actually got colder air back before I replaced the guard. I haven't have any issues at all without it, but its still important to be careful.

naustin
04-09-2008, 06:51 AM
Just don't chock the wheels and try to float across there Mr. Frontiersman. Should be ok.

Wouldn't want to run the risk of losing an Ox anyway.

marko
04-09-2008, 12:45 PM
+1!

marko
04-09-2008, 12:47 PM
-1!
(IMO) I doubt any HP gain...

trying to get an extra 1% of power out of your engine

zboot
04-09-2008, 08:53 PM
-1!
(IMO) I doubt any HP gain...

I'm not sure what the gain is with a CAI alone.

CAI + dinan SW + dinan exhaust got me somewhere between 7-10 HP, plus a nice intake noise with pretty quiet exhaust. You definitely notice the extra pep.

I wouldn't knock it :)

BMW_Hatchback
04-10-2008, 12:30 AM
Since they don't make much for the m44, I try to take advantage of what is out there.

robcarync
04-10-2008, 02:45 PM
I have the dinan software and an intake and It definitely helped me out a bit. I like the look of an intake and the sound, and with the right combination of other performance enhancers, it does help a bit.

PettitWC
04-10-2008, 03:17 PM
that's exactly what happened to my car. the safe thing is to get a short ram with a heat shield

elchicano
04-10-2008, 07:54 PM
ha! i think i'll stick with my stock air box and a K&N filter. The short ram intake will just be sucking up hot air. Unless you make a custom heat shield. But i think im good with what i got.