PDA

View Full Version : car wont start

anthonyl
04-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Ok, so today when I was leaving dinner my car wouldnt start. When I turned the key the engine turned over all dash lights were normal but it wouldnt start. It seemed that the engine was turning faster than normal when I was trying to start it. Does anyone have any ideas on what this could be? If you need me to be more descriptive on anything please let me know. A few things that came to my mind were fuel pump and ignition coil. Im not sure though and would love to pinpoint it before I spend way more than needed. Thanks

Benji
04-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Engine turning faster than normal, usually indicates no compression, or a cam belt/chain has snapped.

b.u.ti-ful
04-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Did you happen to run the car for a very short time to move it a couple of feet?

This is a common problem.

Check this thread:

http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=2977

anthonyl
04-14-2008, 04:34 PM
No I drove it about 5 miles stopped the engine and tried to start it 2 hours later and wouldnt. everything seemed normal when I parked the car.

b.u.ti-ful
04-14-2008, 05:33 PM
There is a fuel pump fuse under the hood.

In fact, you might check all the fuses while you're in there.

Do you know how to check if the plugs have spark?

If not, drive it down to Kenosha and I'll check the spark just kidding.

Bobbak
04-14-2008, 06:07 PM
the exact thing happened to me i go to the gas station to get gas turn off the car get the gas hop back in crank it over it wont start the fuel pump randomly died just like that

anthonyl
04-15-2008, 08:08 AM
haha, i will just push it to kenosha. I talked to the mechanic today and he said that its not the timing chain. I will check the spark plugs to make sure they are getting spark. Does anyone know how to test a fuel pump? I sure hope its just a blown fuel pump fuse?

anthonyl
04-15-2008, 08:09 AM
the exact thing happened to me i go to the gas station to get gas turn off the car get the gas hop back in crank it over it wont start the fuel pump randomly died just like that

Did your engine seem to turn fast when this happened to you? How hard or expensive was it to change the fuel pump?

b.u.ti-ful
04-15-2008, 02:58 PM
Fuel pump test:

anthonyl
04-16-2008, 02:17 AM
I will check that out thank you much. So today I tried to fire it up for a friend so he could hear what was going on. The car started for a split second and then stalled. When I tried to restart the car it was doing the same thing just turning. Anyway I will have time tomorrow to do the tests and find out what is wrong.

anthonyl
04-20-2008, 11:10 PM
It was a fuel pump. I replaced the filter and the pump today. It started right up, and then I noticed a leak. Fuel was spraying from a rusted line. I really wanted to drive too.

b.u.ti-ful
04-21-2008, 04:04 PM
Glad to hear you found what was wrong.

anthonyl
04-22-2008, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the help.