PDA

View Full Version : Stranahan's tour

Borg561
04-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Figured I'd try this event & RSVP thing to see how it works. Tour of Stranahan's Distillery on Sunday, May 18, 2008. Don't know a time yet but I'm guessing late-morning to early afternoon. I need to be on the road by 4:30-5pm at the latest, so if we want to do any driving, an early tour (10am-ish) would probalby be best. I'll have to see what time works out for them.

In the mean time, time for a firm headcount. RSVP is setup for 7 days, but if you could RSVP by Friday it would be great. While it's a whole month away, the sooner we get everything planned out with them the better. Not to say you can't go if you don't RSVP, but Stranahan's needs a count of how many to expect. I think we had 4-5 confirmed across the other two threads, but I know I've seen other's from around the area post.

Justin

teetime4one
04-15-2008, 03:05 AM
well.....where's the crew?

Borg561
04-15-2008, 03:15 AM
They've got 7 (preferably 4) days to respond.

And I will be bringing some bottles (and proper glassware) with me. Might even pick up a bottle of Stranahan's before heading out and see if I can't get Jess and Jake to sign it. :D Now to decide what to bring... (current listing of what I've got is here (http://msbeta.tripod.com/scotch-own.html) if anyone what's to help).

Justin

teetime4one
04-15-2008, 03:19 AM
Damn!
i like this Kid!!!

Borg561
04-15-2008, 03:29 AM
Didn't say I'd bring it all (that would be what, 35 bottles). :) A lot of what I have, I share with friends. I've taken a few of the bottles into the Dundee Dell (http://www.dundeedell.com/) ('tis the bar whose manager knows the Stranahan's guys) to share at tastings before. Only finished off two bottles of scotch since I started buying about two years ago, and both of those were with friends. Got a couple that are nearly empty, but I've never been one to buy it to collect. I know a few older guys that literally have hundreds of bottles, and if they were to have one drink a day by themselves, it would take 10+ years to finish their collection (if they didn't buy more).

BTW, everything on my list save for three bottles were under $100 (the three Port Charlotte's). For me, I consider scotch in the range of $50-75/bottle affordable. More expensive than other liquor, yes, but not bad compared to some scotches out there. I will say that I am for sure bringing the Woodford Reserve and one of the Aberlour A'bunadh's.

Justin

cali-ti
04-15-2008, 01:26 PM
i don't know nuttin' 'bout nuttin' so i have no input on what you should bring :)

teetime4one
04-15-2008, 01:29 PM
i know very little about your list my damn self.
but, there are a few on there i wouldn't mind sippin' on again.

Borg561
04-15-2008, 02:41 PM
but, there are a few on there i wouldn't mind sippin' on again.

Such as?

Justin

teetime4one
04-15-2008, 02:44 PM
Glenlivet 12yo
Gentleman Jack
Jack Daniels Single Barrel

woh
04-16-2008, 12:31 AM
Can't make this.

Borg561
04-16-2008, 01:10 AM
I think I can throw the Single Barrel in the box as well. Stranahan's and Woodford are small batch, so it'll be a bit similar in that it's not something made to a consistent taste. The 1918 Gold Medal replica is just a replica bottle, what's inside is normal everyday Jack. Thinking I'm going to bring along 6 bottles. It might sound like a lot, but I'll make sure I don't pour too much. I've tasted as many as 16 in one tasting (over about 4 hours). List so far:

Woodford Reserve, Jack Daniel's Single Barrel, Aberlour A'bunadh (Batch 12 or 16), Bruichladdich Yellow Submarine, Ardbeg or Laphroaig, and Stranahan's (if I have a bottle by then, if not the Evan Williams). That makes 3 American whiskies and 3 scotches (and a nice variety of scotch as well). We'll want to do the informal tasting sometime Saturday night.

Justin

Borg561
04-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Hate double posting.

Just heard back from Jake again. He said 11am would work good for them. Any opposition? If there is, remember, they're opening their doors on a Sunday for us. ;) They distillery/brewery is located at 2405 Blake St., so right downtown close to Coors Field. Everyone want to meet up somewhere and roll together, or just meet up there?

Justin

cali-ti
04-16-2008, 03:11 PM
depending on where you are (eg: staying at my house, lol), then i'd be up for rolling to downtown together. if chris (pettitwc) is going to make it, he'd likely join us as he lives north of me. sean and dave are in denver, not sure where clay lives (or if he's going).

elchicano
04-16-2008, 03:20 PM
clay lives downtown, my bad for the not posting anything here but i have been busy. i guess we could meet up somewhere or something.

teetime4one
04-17-2008, 02:08 AM
The Alley?
lol

Borg561
04-17-2008, 03:27 AM
clay lives downtown, my bad for the not posting anything here but i have been busy. i guess we could meet up somewhere or something.

Decided for sure if you're going? RSVP form above. I'd like to be able to give Jake and Jess final numbers by Friday. :) Think I'll PM a few of the others I've seen post in here that haven't said anything yet.

Justin

PettitWC
04-17-2008, 03:43 AM
I'd love to go but my work schedule could change any minute. For now I'm in

Borg561
04-17-2008, 04:38 AM
Dave, we just won't tell them you're a minor. What they don't know can't hurt them, right? http://planetsmilies.net/angel-smiley-5090.gif

And Chris, I'll let them know Friday that one is subject to change. I understand the work thing completely.

Justin

PettitWC
04-17-2008, 05:55 AM
cool, thanks dude

Borg561
05-03-2008, 01:37 AM
Just took a peak at the Rockies schedule. They've got a 1:05pm game at home the day we're doing the tour. Stranahan's is literally like 1-2 blocks from Coors Field. Anyone ever been there for a game and know what traffic will be like? I'm thinking we will want to get there early. If we get there too early, it leaves time to sit in the parking lot and discuss and admire everybody's car. :)

Justin

elchicano
05-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Sean and i went to a game and yea theres tons of people there. But Sean found a spot where we parked had to do some walking but it was cool.

Borg561
05-03-2008, 02:41 AM
Well, there should be a parking lot at Stranahan's for us. I was more curious how traffic will be that early. We should be there a bit early, and if traffic will be crazy down there we'll want to make sure we leave early enough. Worse comes to worse, I've got Jess and Jake's numbers and can call if we're going to be a little late.

Justin

elchicano
05-03-2008, 02:44 AM
I don't think it would be an issue. i know the small streets since i usually pass through there on my way to school when traffic is bad on the highway.

PettitWC
05-03-2008, 02:58 AM
sounds awesome. i'm still hoping to go but it looks like my schedule's not working for me right now

elchicano
05-03-2008, 03:07 AM
Yea well lets us know. I only worked sundays for one job and i hated it, thats why i quit. So can you make it to the meet tomorrow chris?

PettitWC
05-03-2008, 03:15 AM
no, i was supposed to be out in the field from today until sunday but the weather was so bad up at the ne/wy border i don't leave till tomorrow now

elchicano
05-03-2008, 03:17 AM
What do you mean by field? But that sucks oh well i'll let you know how it goes.

teetime4one
05-03-2008, 03:19 AM
bummer, it'd be good to see the M coupe again.

cali-ti
05-03-2008, 03:23 AM
bummer, it'd be good to see the M coupe again.

and chris :)

teetime4one
05-03-2008, 03:25 AM
ah yes....and you too Chris. (sorry)

cali-ti
05-03-2008, 03:27 AM
lol :drunk:

PettitWC
05-03-2008, 04:46 AM
hah, thanks eric. it just means i have to sleep over at work

Borg561
05-15-2008, 11:26 AM
sounds awesome. i'm still hoping to go but it looks like my schedule's not working for me right now

How's the schedule looking? If you can't make it Sunday, any chance we'll see you Saturday night? I'd love to see the M Coupe. :)

PS. 500th post. :D

Justin

PettitWC
05-15-2008, 08:23 PM
actually, i just found out a couple days ago that I won't be able to go. I'll be on my way home from work (up in NE I think) that afternoon. Worst weekend to work ever. my buddy's girlfriend is having a luau birthday party on Saturday too and I have quite the collection of Hawaiian shirts.

maybe next time

PettitWC
05-19-2008, 04:15 AM
sooooooooooooo?

elchicano
05-19-2008, 04:18 AM
Sean, clay and me couldn't make. Eric and justin were the only ones that went so i can't say how it was.

PettitWC
05-19-2008, 05:59 AM
oh weak!! you guys are almost as bad as i am

cali-ti
05-19-2008, 06:08 AM
tour and drive were great. they were doing a bottling when we arrived. they have 3-4 actual employees and enlist their friends and volunteers to do the bottling, labeling, caping, application of the distinctive tin cup and boxing. lunch, beer, soda and water are provided :) we were enlisted to help and for our efforts, justin went home with a free bottle of whiskey (one of the 20th batch). not bad for a couple hours work :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/emasshardt/StranahanSTour18May2008

we drove to boulder, then up boulder canyon to the peak to peak highway (72). we took that all the way to st vrains (7) and then headed to lyons. it was an awesome day for a drive with beautiful weather and some good corner carving (after the two wheel couches and SUVs got out of the way). justin said it the drive alone would definitely get him out here again :)

teetime4one
05-19-2008, 01:32 PM
sounds like a good time...
sorry i couldn't make it.

elchicano
05-19-2008, 02:53 PM
i feel like a total puss for backing out at the last minute.

Borg561
05-19-2008, 08:38 PM
Just a couple minutes left on my lunch break. Made it home fine, only one close call with a county sheriff. The tour was failry brief (it's a small place) but it was fun. And yeah, a $60 bottle of whiskey for about 90 minutes of not too difficult work. :) The mountain driving will get me out there again. Eric and I briefly talked before I left that it would be great to get Josh and the Club Sport out there at the same time. Pics tonight if they didn't turn out too bad (lighting @ Stranahan's wasn't the greatest).

Justin

elchicano
05-20-2008, 01:47 AM
Well my bad for not showing up but if you come back again for sure im going. My mistake was to think that i could actually get my mirros done within an hour.

teetime4one
05-20-2008, 02:03 PM
i had some family issues that popped up...
poor cindy has to deal with my whacked out side of the family from time to time.
i have had a stomach ache since sunday morning.
hope it goes away soon.

Borg561
05-20-2008, 02:05 PM
Handful of pictures can be found here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/borg561/sets/72157605159163603/. Eric's pictures in the warehouse turned out better. The warehouse is completely climate controlled (temperature and humidity) to create the "perfect" summer day all year. This causes the whiskey to actually age faster, so 2-year-old Stranahan's is roughly equivalent to a 4yo whiskey from somewere else.

It would be interesting to be there while they're distilling/filling barrels. Maybe with enough advance warning for you guys to get time off, and some coordinaton with Jake & Jess it might be possible. Hopefully this fall. :) Now we all need to start proding Josh to get his butt and the CS out there. Agan, it would be awesome if we could work it out so that Josh and myself were out there at the same time.

Justin

thesk8nmidget
05-20-2008, 03:40 PM
yeah for sure! we need to arrange a time!

im down i just need a good couple days off from work and i wont be coming that way til i get a new valentine 1 radar detector! that way i can make some decent time!

cali-ti
05-20-2008, 03:44 PM
your picture of the poster (which i was taking for sean) turned out way better!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/borg561/2508634476/sizes/o/in/set-72157605159163603/

get some, get some!

thesk8nmidget
05-20-2008, 04:57 PM
justin who is the girl in your album on the first page in your album... there are like 4 pictures of her

elchicano
05-20-2008, 11:50 PM
yea we should get both of you guys here. I'll even get a saturday off if both of you come. Yea that chick is hot! Pauly if you read this check it out:biggrin:

Borg561
05-21-2008, 09:23 AM
Ooh, those are still up there? :redface: She's a model friend of mine, but sadly lives up in Canada. :frown:

As for getting Josh and myself both out there, it was just kinda thrown out there. Heck, maybe even get some of the guys from Oklahoma out there as well (Phamster and such). Wow, that could be really fun. Also threw out potential timing of mid-September-ish. The weather would hopefully be nice and it should be enough notice for people to take time off work.

Ah, and the poster. You'll notice it says sold out. I might e-mail Jake and see if they plan on having more made. Also want to make sure he lets me know when they decide how they're going to sell the port-finished whiskey (and when).

Justin