PDA

View Full Version : Seat belt "issue" with aftermarket seats..

elfhearse
04-18-2008, 01:54 AM
I got tired of my stock drivers seat with worn out bottom padding (100K) and "invested" in a drivers side Sparco Chrono Road seat. I got the E36 base and sliders but overlooked the lower seat belt .... don't want to tear my lower belt/tensioner off my stock drivers seat.

Anyone else install a Sparco/Recaro/etc and replace the lower seat belt tensioner with a different type?? (or drive around with the airbag light always on :mad: ) I have the single 3 wire connector which should go to the seatbelt buckled/unbuckled switch. The 318 doesn't have a seat occupancy pad sensor so I ASSUME I can jumper the two wires and the car will think the seatbelt is buckled like the OEM belt receptacle. (?)

IF it all works out I'll be posting a write up in the Knowledge section. So much for impulse buys without the complete research.

elfhearse
04-19-2008, 02:38 AM
mmmm so I'll answer my own question. After alot of research, the best info. was in bimmerforums track/racing threads.
Early E-36's, like my 318ti only had the seat belt sensor. An "ex" BMW mechanic indicated that with the seat belt buckled, 100 ohms was present across the buckled circuit (400 ohms unbuckled) So, installing a 100 ohm resistor between pins 1 & 3 should work.
Some other posts said that the seat belt buckle reminder on the instrument cluster came on during start-up and went away regardless of if you had your seatbelt buckled or not. Thank God for simpler cars, I think I'll stick with E-30's and 36's to mess with.

Bobbak
04-19-2008, 05:05 AM
pics?

elfhearse
04-22-2008, 02:03 AM
PICS?

Didn't install the seat yet because I ordered an E30 lower belt assy. to install on the mounting base. Maybe this weekend if I get a chance.

elfhearse
04-27-2008, 02:27 AM
Installed the Sparco Chrono Touring drivers seat.
Mounting the slider rails and base wasn't the easiest job...but tolerable.
E36 Base keeps seat tight against the center console hump and you cannot slide the seat as far forward as the OEM seat. I mounted the E30 lower seat belt as it didn't have a manual tensioner.....no clearance for manual tensioner.
SO.....black tape over the airbag light that is on constantly. I'll need to find a used E36 manual tensioner with 3 wire connector to hookup and hide under the seat, to eliminate airbag light.

Seat is ok...would rate it a 6.5 out of 10. Definitely more comfortable than my stock cloth drivers seat...not near as supportive as my M Sport seat in the Coupe.

PICS:
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u297/elfhearse/sparcoside1.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u297/elfhearse/sparcoside.jpg

yeah...it clashes with the grey passenger seat.....

tiFreak
04-27-2008, 03:37 AM
looks good, would look better with a matching passenger seat

elfhearse
04-27-2008, 01:46 PM
would look better with a matching passenger seat
For sure...but not worth another $700 IMHO... I can deal with the clashing fabric.

thesk8nmidget
04-27-2008, 10:51 PM
damn nice looking seat!

fyi you will need a airbag reset tool to turn off the light now even if you get the bypass mod done.

thats why you are supposed to take off the negative battery cable whenyou remove seats that way it wont turn off and not turn off.

but since your a site supporter you can rent one over in the sponsors lounge

M3ti-ish
05-28-2008, 06:19 AM
cool, good write up... actually helps me

elfhearse
06-04-2008, 02:13 AM
Chrono update: now rated a 9 out of 10..really like the seat. Super comfortable and very supportive.

I got a used seatbelt tensioner (72118167711) to hook up the seat belt wiring circuit.
(I'm a helo pilot and the red airbag light on the dash is VERY distracting....= bad)
I also got a Peake SRS reset tool to reset the light. Fault code was drivers seat belt buckle switch...:tongue:

Still can't justify another $700 to balance out the unoccupied passenger side. Decided to spend that $$ on some 16" Kosei's and Direzzi's

thesk8nmidget
06-04-2008, 02:41 PM
eventually you should though i think it would set your car off well!

but wheels can come first!

applecrisp
02-15-2009, 09:38 AM
okay So i read this thread and some other threads as I am planning on doing the same seat swap (different) model though. BUt let me get this straight.. you used a buckle with manual tensioner from e30... then what did you use to get the airbag light to go out just resistor?