PDA

View Full Version : what rims are these?

tiFreak
04-22-2008, 05:07 PM
a few years ago my dad bought an E46 328 sedan that came with two sets of rims, when he sold it he kept the winter rims and I was wondering if anyone knew what kind they were

also, does anyone know how to get the sharpie the PO put on there off?

Philly
04-22-2008, 05:10 PM
if its hard to wipe off with wheel cleaner or anything, its probably embedded in all the pores of the clearcoat.

thesk8nmidget
04-22-2008, 05:18 PM
wetsand it... real fine 2000 grit would do the trick

tiFreak
04-22-2008, 05:36 PM
I just found out from my bf.c thread that they are style 30s, I kind of like them, does anyone have pics of a ti with them on?

Philly
04-22-2008, 05:38 PM
be careful takin any grade sandpaper to them though, u may start messing up the clear on them.

Id say sell those, and your other ones, and get a nice set of 17's... thats what i would do.

thesk8nmidget
04-22-2008, 06:04 PM
i agree i would do the same and i have seen a few ti's for sale with these wheels mounted. they looked alrigh but still have the stockish look you arent going for.

roadrash
04-22-2008, 06:21 PM
does anyone know how to get the sharpie the PO put on there off?
More Sharpie. Seriously. Apply Sharpie to the existing marks and wipe it off while still wet. Think about it. The Sharpie "ink" is basically like a solid suspended in a solvent. OK, maybe it's not actually that, but it performs in the same manner. When you apply fresh markings, you're adding more solvent and putting the solid back into suspension.

This may not work in this specific application, depending on the surface of the wheels. The rougher the surface, the more Sharpie will be left behind. Even on glass, you'll probably still be able to see a bit of a Sharpie shadow, but this method will probably work well enough that a light coat of dirt will mask the Sharpie mark.

JMJ

elchicano
04-22-2008, 06:34 PM
More Sharpie. Seriously. Apply Sharpie to the existing marks and wipe it off while still wet. Think about it. The Sharpie "ink" is basically like a solid suspended in a solvent. OK, maybe it's not actually that, but it performs in the same manner. When you apply fresh markings, you're adding more solvent and putting the solid back into suspension.

This may not work in this specific application, depending on the surface of the wheels. The rougher the surface, the more Sharpie will be left behind. Even on glass, you'll probably still be able to see a bit of a Sharpie shadow, but this method will probably work well enough that a light coat of dirt will mask the Sharpie mark.

JMJ

Yup this has worked for me before. I also agree on getting some other rims.

tiFreak
04-22-2008, 06:37 PM
I was thinking of getting those rims, my dad's 16" contour reps, or these ones (http://burlington.craigslist.org/pts/638299666.html) (if I can get him too lower his price) I can't seem to find any 17" rims for sale so I might just settle with 16"

tiFreak
04-22-2008, 06:44 PM
lol, I just noticed I put this in wheel cleaners instead of wheels and tires, good thing there was sharpie on the rims :biggrin:

thesk8nmidget
04-22-2008, 06:49 PM
haha well the more sharpie trick does work a lot of the time! try that!

and dave i saw a super clean set of rd's on a black m3 this weekend i might have a picture! looked sick in person!

they were his daily and i only have pictures after he switched to his track set :( next month i snap some.

roadrash
04-22-2008, 06:50 PM
I was thinking of getting those rims, my dad's 16" contour reps, or these ones (http://burlington.craigslist.org/pts/638299666.html) (if I can get him too lower his price) I can't seem to find any 17" rims for sale so I might just settle with 16"
Ahem... don't forget these (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20763). They'll be off the car in a week or two. At that point, I'll clean them up, look for blemishes and take some photos.

thesk8nmidget
04-22-2008, 06:53 PM
what are you putting on instead of the super hot sexy mind blowing chrome?

roadrash
04-22-2008, 06:57 PM
I'll be installing the Star Spoke 43's (http://www.bmwwheels.com/images/ecomm/ss43.jpg) that are in my kitchen.

elchicano
04-22-2008, 06:58 PM
Yea i have only seen the RD rims on another Ti here. Haven't seen them on another car. Dam with the money im gonna spend on fixing the Ti i could have gotten a drop kit for it instead.

thesk8nmidget
04-22-2008, 07:00 PM
yeah! it was on a black m3 and they looked so clean!

tiFreak
04-22-2008, 07:04 PM
Ahem... don't forget these (http://www.318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20763). They'll be off the car in a week or two. At that point, I'll clean them up, look for blemishes and take some photos.

I'm still considering them, right now I'm hoping for the ones on craigslist because I really like the design of the rims, and not having to pay shipping from Tennessee is a plus too :biggrin:

b.u.ti-ful
04-22-2008, 07:52 PM
Rubbing alchohol will wipe that off.