PDA

View Full Version : Consuming antifreeze

suprabman
04-25-2008, 03:42 AM
I need an engine for my 318is can any one help? I have atifreeze going in my engine help!help!help!!

suprabman
04-25-2008, 03:44 AM
I need help my engine is consuming antireeze can any one help??

marko
04-25-2008, 12:32 PM
are just loosing AF or is the car smoking?

if you are just loosing AF, it may be a leak somewhere (hoses / plastic flanges / radiator)... if there is smoke coming out of the exhaust you may have a blown head gasket.

either way, I dont think you need a whole new engine - unless the block/head are cracked - which is highly unlikely.

worst case scenario - head comes off (you'll need new head bolts & a torque wrench) & you replace the gasket.

suprabman
04-26-2008, 12:12 AM
yes the car is smoking but not all the time just when it needs more antifreeze .when I add more it stops .I also found the oil in the engine with a funny lite brown oil. and I talk to a shop they said they will charge me $600 to replace the head gasket is this good?

anthonyl
04-26-2008, 01:24 AM
someone else said it was 600 for a head gasket job. So that quote is prolly accurate. You could also use this as a reason to do a swap. good luck.

thesk8nmidget
04-26-2008, 09:13 PM
600 is about right with all the labor.

for 600 you could just about get a new motor and all the parts.

but it sounds like you need someone else to do the work for you so a swap is kinda out of the question