PDA

View Full Version : Installing M3 "X-Brace" On 318 ti

J!m
05-02-2002, 10:58 PM
I purchased and installed the "famous" X-brace on my ti last weekend, and thought I'd share the experience with anyone interested in doing this. I also welcome comments.

1) get the brace: I got mine (new) of of eBay for $109.00. The best price I found outside of that is Turner Motorsport (800-280-6966) for $130.00 Used items may be available also.

2) Get the "riv-nuts": These suckers are cool. Basically, they work like a big pop-rivet, but they have threads inside. Get this kit from Turner as well (it may come with the X-brace from them, not sure)I think it was $12.00 including shipping. CHEAP.

3) Get the right drill bits: You need a (recomended) 11mm drill bit as well as a 6-flute 90 degree counter-sink. BUT, as I could not find an 11mm bit in my collection, I opted to go a bit smaller, at 27/64. (it's only about 0.004 inch smaller) It works well, but it is a bit tight. Pay attention to the next steps.

4) Drill and install the riv-nuts: OK. Safely raise and secure the car so you don't get killed. Now, the rear of the X-brace replaces that 3/4 inch (1 inch on sport models) pipe with the flattened ends behind your front tires. Now, DON'T MOVE THE CAR with this bar removed, or you will NEVER line up the holes again, OK? OK. Remove the stock pipe. Chuck it in the weeds. Place the x-brace in position, and snug-up the bolts (don't go crazy, because you will be taking it down again in a minute). Now, look at where the front lines up, nice and neat under the cross-member that the lower control arms are bolted to. And, how about that! There are six holes which line up with the six holes in the brace! Amazing!

5) Actually start drilling: OK. Now, the factory uses only FOUR of the six possible holes. Take a grease pencil or whatever and make a mark next to the holes which are most out-board and in-board on each "ear" of the brace. (it will make sence when you are under there). Now remove the brace, and drill out those holes to 11mm, or 27/64. If you use the latter size, don't be afraid to move the drill around a bit. The hole will be tight. Next, put the counter-sink in the drill and chamfer the holes a bit. Look at the riv-nuts to get a feel for how deep to chamfer. It does not have to be perfect, since the brace will hide your sins.

6) Installing the nuts: THIS is the tricky part. In the kit from Turner, you get four riv-nuts, 4 large washers, 4 short 8mm bolts, 2 large washers, 2 8mm nuts and a long 8mm bolt. Take the long 8mm bolt and lube it up. Thread on one of the 8mm nuts, then a small washer, then a riv-nut. Thread the riv-nut so EVERY thread is engaged by the long bolt. Get your trusty hammer, and after snugging the nut and washer against the face of the riv-nut (Not too tight, or the riv-nut will never fit! FINGER TIGHT), pound it in by the bolt head. Be careful, if it goes crooked, you will be screwed. Kepp it as straight as possible with the cross member. I got all mine in with minimal diffuculty. Do one at a time! Now, holding the BOLT head from turning, as well as applying pressure into the hole, turn the NUT ONLY to pull the riv-nut into position.(I used a shallow socket on a ratchet set to REMOVE a bolt on the bolt, and an open-end wrench on the nut) Don't go too crazy here, the threads can be ripped right out if you go hulkster on it. Take your time. No rush. With the lube on the threads, it should be fairly smooth till the end. As the resistance gets high, stop and check your work. It should be solid, with no spin. If it spins (not likely with the smaller bit) pull it down a bit more with the nut. Re-lube and repeat for the other three.

7) Now you can bolt it in for real. Don't go crazy with the torque on the bolts. This is a SHEAR load, not a straight pull. A bit of locktite on the threads is not a bad idea, as there are no lock washers provided.

Not all that bad. Once you get going, it should take an hour, tops.

Have fun!

bmw332ti
11-04-2003, 04:52 AM
When I installed my x-brace I moved the straight bar(the one i think you threw away) and moved it back to the treaded holes just two inches back. I know not a huge difference but it is still reinforcement.

1996 328ti
11-05-2003, 02:14 AM
When I installed my x-brace I moved the straight bar(the one i think you threw away) and moved it back to the treaded holes just two inches back. I know not a huge difference but it is still reinforcement.

:arrow: BAD IDEA.
The design is for one or the other, not both. It was discussed a long time ago on the ti list that in the event of a front end crash the engine is designed to drop down. Having that second bar will prevent it from dropping down. This is part of the safety system. This was from BMW. I totalled my first ti. Ended up between 3 trees. The engine was dislodged from the motor mounts. Not sure what would have happened if I had both braces. I only had the x-brace installed.

J!m
11-06-2003, 01:42 AM
Regardless of crash-test data, I seriously doubt any benifit at all from adding the additional brace. (Maybe that low-down weight will lower the CoG 0.0005 inch...) I chose to delete the radio to lower my CoG this much (maybe a tad more) :lol:

There will be little if any motion side to side at this location. IF the second bar were to be welded to the X-brace, effectively increasing the area of attachment, PERHAPS a slight increase in torsional stiffness could be gained, but even this is a long shot.

If you want stiffness, but don't want a 12-point cage, try attaching the rear X-brace bolts to the opposing rear sub-frame mounting bolts with some 1 1/4 inch tubing and weld and brace them where they cross. (no guarantees as to crash-worthieness...) Basically, frame connectors as we used to call them on the muscle cars with uni-body construction (but those were straight front-to-back). By crossing and welding them, the stifness corner to corner will go up dramatically, which I assume is what you are after. A sub-frame sub-frame if you will.

mrnine
05-23-2004, 02:43 AM
I just attempted an install on an x-brace tonight and failed miserably at the "nut-sert/riv-nut" stage. I'm really not sure what to do.

My X-brace came with nothing but the nut-serts and small bolts. I went to the hardware and bought a big bolt and pretty much followed the instrux at understeer.com.

The amount of force required to contort these nut-sert's, in my case, was herculean. I could not believe how hard this was. I now have 6 holes prepped for nut-serts, with one hole containing a lodged but spinning nut-sert with a bolt and the nut that is now completely rounded off.

1) What in the world do I do now?
2) How do I get this bolt out of there? Drill it out?
3) Would the Turner kit you describe somehow be easier than the parts I've been provided?
4) Does a front stressbar like the racing dynamics one in bavauto really only work well in conjunction with an x-brace or would it be effective by itself?

I'm sure it's only because I'm so furious with this thing right now but I'm inclined to say screw it and sell it on eBay and give up. I'm reasonably mechanically inclined but right now feel pretty inept. Let's just say I hope no small children were walking by the garage while I was working as they'd have gotten an earful. :)

J!m
05-24-2004, 10:40 PM
I'm not sure, but I'm inclined to think you skipped the part about 'lubing the threads well'. The idea is to keep the insert from rotating with the bolt, and pull the insert against the backside of the cross member with the nut. Also important, is the LONG bolt, to fully engage all the threads in the insert. It sounds like you stripped the threads and did not fully compress the insert. Now that it has spun, the little teeth on the OD will not grab the cross member. It has to be removed.

You can drill out the riv-nuts, but the bolt needs to come out to do it.

It was a bitch (and I think a few choice words were muttered when I did mine) however after the first one, they all went fairly well. There is a special (and expensive) tool for installing these. Like a pop-rivet gun on steroids. Maybe you can rent one, but remember the metric threads...

STEVE: I forgot about this old post. Might be good for 'knowledge base' eh?

sparkchaser
05-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Holy Old Thread Bumpage Batman!

Anyhoo, last Wednesday me and a friend attempted the X-Brace install. I purchased mine from bimmerworld and it came with the nutserts. The directions for installation came off of understeer's website and they call for a 7/16 in (11.1125 mm) drill bit.

We drilled out the hole and found that the nutserts were too big. My question is this:

How snug should the fit be before expanding the nutsert? Using a 1/2" wrench there looked like there was a bit of play. I Guess the correct drill bit would be 12 mm.

Can anyone provide any guidance?

Thanks.

cali-ti
05-02-2006, 03:38 PM
i used the understeer directions and everything went in like cake. i was done with the nutserts in like 30 mins.

your nutserts still don't fit in the hole after you drilled it out with a 7/16"?

sparkchaser
05-02-2006, 03:41 PM
i used the understeer directions and everything went in like cake. i was done with the nutserts in like 30 mins.

your nutserts still don't fit in the hole after you drilled it out with a 7/16"?

Nope. Check it out:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/kesslerbmw/various/Img_6081.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v319/kesslerbmw/various/Img_6082.jpg

Bimmerworld said that they send the same nutserts to everyone. I am totally confused. :confused:

J!m
05-02-2006, 04:14 PM
Something is weird there...

cali-ti
05-02-2006, 04:15 PM
can you post some other pics of the nutserts themselves? if memory serves, those look different than what came with mine (from bimmberbum on ebay).

sparkchaser
05-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Exactly my point.

If I drill it out to 1/2" will the hole be too big?

Cali-ti: the X-brace and nutserts are at my buddy'd house. We were going to try again tomorrow to install this. I'll see if I can get a pic or two up tonight.

cali-ti
05-02-2006, 04:42 PM
ok. i wouldn't drill any larger than what understeer said. if the nutserts aren't right, i would hold off on continuing the install. the original bar is easy enough to put back on for awhile. you're doing the right thing in making sure it's right before proceeding. i can say, after i'd drilled my holes out as they said, the nutserts went right in.

EDIT: any way your friend can take some pics with a digicam and send them to you? then you could post them up sooner.

pdxmotorhead
05-02-2006, 05:45 PM
Ok so I use these all the time. Here's some tricks/hints.

1. Use Locktight sleeve lock SPARINGLY on the outside of the nutsert just where it contacts the edge of the hole. Warning : It WILL NOT come loose without a torch if it gets in the wrong spot. It also seals the bare metal where you drilled.

2. Use light grease (Molylube) on the bolt your pulling the rivnut with.

3. The bolt has to go clear through the riv-nut.

4. I would make sure to get QUALITY rivnuts, it really makes a difference. Most fastener specialty shops have them.

5. There is a Import company that sells a cheap rivnut gun that looks like the nice Marston gun but is only about 20 bucks. Its not as durable and its not a compound pull gun so you have to two hand it... Check your local discount ool shop...

6. If you can,, back the rivnut with a nut while pulling it. I have some nuts with welding rod tacked to them that I use to back the rivnut so the threads don't pull out.

7. Rivnuts come in depths as well as hole sizes. Use the correct depth for best fit.

Cheers!

Dave

sparkchaser
05-02-2006, 07:10 PM
EDIT: any way your friend can take some pics with a digicam and send them to you? then you could post them up sooner.

Not really. he works until 8. :frown:

sparkchaser
05-03-2006, 05:15 PM
OK, pics as promised:

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/sparkchaser1998/under%20the%20car/nutsert1.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y187/sparkchaser1998/under%20the%20car/nutsert2.jpg

Any thoughts?

cali-ti
05-03-2006, 05:22 PM
the lip (which would sit outside the subframe) on those seems smaller than what i remember mine being. the m8 (i think) bolts still thread properly into them?

sparkchaser
05-03-2006, 05:34 PM
Yup. The M8 bolts fit perfect.

DeadpaN
05-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Order a riv-nut pack from understeer. They're like $5 and maybe $5 for shipping.....I followed the understeer directions with no problems, but made one modification. Instead of the L shaped allen wrench, I started each nutsert install with a 6mm allen socket. With this set up its much less clumsy for the initial startup of the nutsert install. However, and this is !mucho importante! you have to switch back to using the L shaped wrench to finish it off-->this thing works as sort of an automatic torque wrench because you just can't leverage it enough to over-tighten/strip your new nut-sert. I can post pictures if you want.

sparkchaser
05-04-2006, 01:59 PM
X-Brace install a success!

The nutserts I was sent had a 12mm OD. A 15/62 drill bit and a bit of wallowing was all it took. Installation after that was a snap.

I haven't had a chance to do any spirited driving yet to test it out.

Thanks for the assistance guys.

cali-ti
05-04-2006, 02:02 PM
cool ... glad you were successful!

drkblu318ti
11-16-2006, 03:53 AM
Old Post i know but i wanted to know for those who have this installed how the ti handles now? Difference? Is it worth it? Im planning on buying one soon and wanted to see how otheres felt about it and the difference it made.

Thanks

L84THSKY
11-16-2006, 03:55 AM
It's all a blur at this point. So many suspension upgrades, I can't remember what each one did individually.

Old Post i know but i wanted to know for those who have this installed how the ti handles now? Difference? Is it worth it? Im planning on buying one soon and wanted to see how otheres felt about it and the difference it made.

Thanks

drkblu318ti
11-16-2006, 03:57 AM
hahah. Well not much help but would you say the $109 is worth it?

L84THSKY
11-16-2006, 04:14 AM
Sure...why not:biggrin:

hahah. Well not much help but would you say the $109 is worth it?

mohaughn
12-29-2006, 12:55 AM
Hmm.. I don't know if I got sent a bigger rivnut, but a 7/16 drill bit doesn't make the hole big enough, which is almost the same thing as a 27/64(28/64)....

I even drilled it out a bit more with a 1/2 drill bit and I would really have to pound the rivnut into the hole to get it to fit.. I think that would really distort it.

Mine also look different from the pictures in the thread.. They have ridges running from the top to the bottom of the rivnut. I'm going to try a 9/16 drill bit and see if that works for me... I'm guessing the rivnuts are not the exact BMW part but something comparable with a 8mm interior threading.

Found it.. I must have gotten the AVK AK series rivnuts mentioned on this page. Mine look exactly like these- http://www.unofficialbmw.com/e36/suspension/e36_rons_xbrace_install.html.. Ron Stygar says 17/32 drill bit... Another trip to lowes.. No matter how hard I try I always end up making multiple trips to the store.. hehe.. :)

Alexandre VTS
01-01-2007, 04:25 PM
Does anyone remembers the weight of the package when buying it?

Tks