PDA

View Full Version : Pondering a move

roadrash
05-03-2008, 07:22 AM
Hey there, Denver dudes!

I've tried to escape Nashville a couple of times, and one of those times I was looking at moving to the Denver area. But, it hasn't worked out.

Tonight, I met a guy from Denver who gave me a lead on a stagehand contracting company there. (that's mostly what I do here) So, I'm going to call them on Monday and see what the potential for work is.

I've been trying to get out of the stagehand biz, but if I can come up with enough work there to justify a move, I'll move and look for better work once I get there.

So... a few generic questions.

What is the rent cost for a basic 1-bedroom apartment? Preferably within 5-6 miles of downtown so I can ride my bicycle.

Does anyone know of any inexpensive places to live, or maybe even have a basement I could rent? :biggrin:

What does gasoline cost out there? I'm just trying to get a feel for the cost of living compared to here.

I've visited Denver (actually Golden), but that was back in 1999, I think. And I've had a gig or two there since then, so I'm not totally ignorant about the city, but it would still be a strange new land. I think I need that right now. :smile:

My lease expires in a month, so it's possible that I could make the move pretty soon.

Thanks for any info and/or suggestions!

JMJ

teetime4one
05-03-2008, 02:35 PM
okay, you could find an apartment downtown for cheep...400 a month for a studio. (hope you have good credit tho...management company's check that stuff)
jobs are to be had...there are a bunch! i'm looking for a helper right now. we start people at 8.50 an hour...not much...but, it'll pay the rent.
if you have a bike and live downtown...you can go anywhere pretty quick like.

the DNC will be in town this summer...find something quick...those people attending it are renting a lot of rooms downtown.

gas is around 3.40 per gallon right now....it's going up daily tho.

hope this helps

thesk8nmidget
05-03-2008, 03:50 PM
that is a pretty good price of living!! WOOT!

get on over to denver!~

roadrash
05-03-2008, 04:39 PM
Cool... thanks for the info, teetime!!

I've got really good credit (cause I'm an old guy and pay my bills promptly... most of the time), so that's not an issue.

Remind me where you work. $8.50 is a lot less than I'd usually work for, but if it's something I'm interested in and it could lead to "something better" I'd consider doing that to fill in when I can't find stagehand work.

I just paid $3.76 for Premium (the ethanol blend), so at least gasoline isn't significantly more expensive out there, as I had expected.

And as usual in my life, any time I have one option, 2-3 other conflicting options pop up. E.g., the first option I was checking into was to enroll in a Medical Coding program here in Nashville. No sooner than I'd started that application process (Thursday), I got the lead on the company in Denver (last night). And no sooner than I started this thread, I read a MySpace bulletin about a guy looking for people to work at his booking agency (yet another thing that I've done before). Geez, why can't I ever have just 2 options to choose from? LOL

The other recurring theme in my life is that when I have several potential options, none of them work out. That applies to jobs AND women. grrrrrrrrr

Oh well... I guess I'll contact the booking agency guy today and the place in Denver on Monday.

Thanks again for the info! Does anybody else have any suggestions / advice / info?

cali-ti
05-03-2008, 04:44 PM
i have a basement (even a spare room), but i'm not close to denver by your definition. mead is about 30 miles north of denver and from what i've seen, traffic getting to denver can suck in the morning on I-25.

when i moved out here with my (then and now ex) gf, we got a 3 bedroom place right close to DU for like $1500 with a 2-car detached garage so i would think you could find something in your range. sean would know way better than me on that :)

cali-ti
05-03-2008, 04:50 PM
quick google search on "apartment rental denver":

http://www.dpmrents.com/
http://denver.apartments.com/
http://denver.sublet.com/

i typically fill up on gas when i go to costco. they don't have a midgrade, but the super is usually around what you pay for regular or midgrade anyway.

roadrash
05-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Thanks for the info, cali-ti, I'll check out those sites!

Yeah, if I were working in Denver, that commute would drive me insane. One of my pet peeves is having to drive more than 10-15 minutes to get to work. I like to drive my car, but I don't like to go 10mph on the interstate.

I actually thought the guy I was talking to might be you. LOL His last name is Stubby, and I had a vague memory of something similar to that ("aka Stabby") being associated with someone in Denver. But, when he said that he drives a Mazda, I knew he wasn't you. heh heh

cali-ti
05-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I know DustenT was looking at places in denver too (he's moving out here this summer). you might hit him up for some good sites to look for places and piggyback on the research he's already done.

that would have been freaky if it were me! lol

roadrash
05-03-2008, 05:56 PM
Oh yeah... I forgot about DustenT moving out there since he's been scarce here. I just might check in with him.

heh heh... when the guy said his name, I just stared at him for a couple of seconds and thought "no freakin' way." LOL

thesk8nmidget
05-03-2008, 06:09 PM
stubby stabby same thing lol

cali-ti
05-03-2008, 06:14 PM

i beg to differ sir!

roadrash
05-03-2008, 06:17 PM
Boi, if you drag my thread off-topic, I will both stab AND stub you! LOL

elchicano
05-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Yea like sean said you could find cheap places around here. i'm planning on moving out in summer or fall. Something closer to school, but yea renting is become scarce from what i heard since so many people have had foreclosures. But yea denver is cool and you should move out here and join our great group.

96cali
05-05-2008, 04:04 PM
Joey have you ever considered Minneapolis? I think they are second in the country for live theater per capita. Really an awesome town, huge biking enthusiasts too. Unique.... but majorly, insanely cold in winter. Think Chicago in January but with ice cubes in your shorts. Hurts to breath. Skin dies after 10 minutes of exposure. Those are rare days but happens every winter. Then spring comes and EVERYONE is biking/skating/running. Loved that city 9 months of the year.

Maybe you could winter in Nashville?

thesk8nmidget
05-05-2008, 04:15 PM
think houston! hot hot hot! great group of guys in the bmw chapter

and 2 club sports!

naww just kidding dont move here! i dont wanna get stabbed or stubbed!

L84THSKY
05-05-2008, 05:12 PM
I took a vacation last year with my son to Nashville and Memphis. Hit all the music related attractions. Have you ever been to the Bluebird Cafe?

My friend just took off and headed down to Nashville, then Memphis. He's working on Beale St, while he polishes his songwriting skills.

What blew me away was when he called me the other day and told me he rode his bicycle from Nashville to Memphis. Holy cow......it took me around 5 hrs doing 80Mph to do that trip, took him 5 days by bicycle.

roadrash
05-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Joey have you ever considered Minneapolis?
No. I've driven there several times on business, but I never once considered living there. There's just too damn much winter.

And Houston is too much summer. :biggrin:

roadrash
05-05-2008, 07:13 PM
I took a vacation last year with my son to Nashville and Memphis.

I know... I offered to show ya around, but never heard back from ya.

Any time I hear "Bluebird Cafe" my blood pressure rises. LOL I used to do cartage (moving around the gear belonging to studio musicians) and several of our clients played there a lot. So, I often had to pick up their gear just after their show, which meant I had to fight my way through a crowd that was ignoring me, to get to that one front door. And while carrying a heavy guitar amp. I hate that place. LOL

Nashville to Memphis is 200-210 miles if you took the direct interstate route. It generally takes less than 3 hours depending on traffic.

I've done several week-long "cross state" bike rides, but that was 10 years ago. Most of them were 400-500 miles for the 7 days. A shout out to you Iowans... RAGBRAI was good times.

tiFreak
05-05-2008, 11:45 PM
come to Vermont, that way I can break into your house and steal your rims :biggrin:

96cali
05-06-2008, 12:03 AM
A shout out to you Iowans... RAGBRAI was good times.

Isn't it RAAGBRAI? Cuz the Wisconsin version is SAAGBRAW.

roadrash
05-06-2008, 12:56 AM
Isn't it RAAGBRAI? Cuz the Wisconsin version is SAAGBRAW.
Absolutely not. Google it. LOL

RAGBRAI is an acronym for: the Registers Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa. The "Register" is a newspaper, I think. Not sure exactly what SAAGBRAW is an acronym for and I'm too lazy to google it. :biggrin:

96cali
05-06-2008, 03:54 PM
Sentinal Active American Great Bike Ride Across Wisconsin.

DustenT
06-03-2008, 03:51 AM
Oh yeah... I forgot about DustenT moving out there since he's been scarce here. I just might check in with him.

heh heh... when the guy said his name, I just stared at him for a couple of seconds and thought "no freakin' way." LOL

My move has been delayed until Spring 09 now. The company I work for isn't registered for tax purposes in CO yet, should be end of year. The shortest lease I could get was 9 months, so May 1st we'll try it again. I'll probably just buy a place right away instead of renting.

roadrash
06-03-2008, 04:01 AM
My move has been delayed until Spring 09 now.
Bummer.

My potential move is looking less likely as well. I might end up doing sales for a car lot here. Being a car salesman isn't something I ever seriously considered, but it's an opportunity to make money and that's all I really care at the moment. Tomorrow I'm supposed to be meeting with the two guys who will make the hiring decision.

If it happens, I guess I'll be learning more about Chevrolet's than I ever wanted to know. :wink:

roadrash
06-05-2008, 07:06 PM
Good grief.

I just got a road gig and will tentatively be hitting the road on Sunday night. LOL So, I might get to visit CO occasionally, but it doesn't look like I'll be moving there any time soon.

This is the second time that I've tried to escape Nashville, but had a road gig pop up to keep me here. Geez.

thesk8nmidget
06-05-2008, 07:40 PM
hahaha well i guess your not meant to leave just yet

roadrash
06-05-2008, 07:47 PM
[sigh] This place (Nashville) is going to be my personal "Hotel California"... I can check out (road gigs) but I can never leave.

Yeah, I know that song reference is way older than most of you. Search for "Eagles, Hotel California"