PDA

View Full Version : Doing brakes, some questions??

DougZ
02-22-2002, 01:00 AM
I am going to need to replace the front and back, pads and rotors on my 98 318ti Active soon. I have done brakes before, but I have some questions about doing them on a car with traction control(AST) and the antilock braking system.

1. The Bentley manual that I have says to be careful when pushing the piston back into the bore, and to open the bleeder screw when doing this. It says that this should be done on all cars with the ABS system. It then goes on to say that pressing the piston back into the bore may cause brake fluid to leak out of reservior, so to take some out with a syringe. Has anyone done this and not opended the bleeder screw????

2. My next question about bleeding the brakes. The manual states that on cars with a set up like mine, AST/ABS, that bleeding requires special tools and that it should only be done by a BMW dealer/service center. What does anyone think or know about this???

3. Also, I figure while I have it all apart, and I am putting on new rotors and pads, I am going to try to paint the calipers. What should I use to clean the caliper? And what paint works best for painting the caliper??

4. Lastly, which pads and rotors do you all think work the best????....I am going for low dust, NO squeal, and good braking.

ayton
02-22-2002, 12:34 PM
the manual is always helpful but, my $0.02 says open the master cylinder and do the breaks as normal (I really don't think you will hurt anything)! and as far as cleaning the caliper I've heard that a little brake fluid degreases the calipers nicely, but don't go crazy! http://www.happytogether.com/318ti/forum/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by kinkajou (edited 02-22-2002).]

myred318i
02-22-2002, 01:26 PM
Hi Doug,
I have replaced my rear pads once, haven't done fronts yet, but soon. I didn't do either (open bleed screw or resevior) I just didn't go hog wild pushing the piston back (read: just enough to get them over the disc) That way you don't worry about air in the lines or contamination when you open the resevior. By the way, compared to brake jobs on other cars I've owned, it's very simple. I did rear pads in <40 mins. start - last tool put away.

My $.015

DougZ
02-23-2002, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the info.