PDA

View Full Version : performance chips

ben
06-21-2001, 04:20 AM
I have an all stock '96 318ti that I'm dying to modify. I'm really looking at getting a chip to put in, but am not sure which to get. I've heard of the Dinan and the JC and have heard good things about both of them. Which chip is better? I use the car as a daily driver, so I have to be able to use it around town, but I want to start racing it along with my others on the weekends. Any information is appreciated.

------------------
-Ben

Dan Burger
06-21-2001, 04:26 PM
Hey Ben -
From what I've heard they both offer good gains, but like alot of chips, esp. for 4 cyl., they tend to work best (and most noticably) at full-throttle - maximizing air/fuel curve with increased octane gas (93 is minumum for both $$) For a '96, it would be a reprogram, not a chip.

If you have an '96 + ti (OBD II) I'd think a little harder about software since the engine is less responsive to the increased built in restictions. Instead, focus on intake, exhaust, and suspension work (incl. tires) - suspension being the most imporant if you're doing any club racing or autocrossing.

1996 328ti
06-26-2001, 03:42 AM
There is no Conforti chip for the M44.
While on the topic of vaporware. Racing Dynamics also does not have a chip, even though it's posted on their website.

fourbanger
02-17-2003, 07:52 AM
I've got a question about chips, hopefully you guys can help! :D

I have a MY1996 ti, but it's a '95 built car. Because of this I have to ship my whole ECU to somebody to get it reprogrammed. This is bad for me, since I live in Panama and that means at LEAST a week without a car. My question is, could I buy an ECU from another '95 built ti and have it programmed and then install it? Are there any issues that could arise from this (Driveaway encoding, etc.. etc..)?

I found an ECU for a ti just like mine, but before I blow the money on it I'd rather know for sure if I can use it and just how much of a hassle will it be.

1996 328ti
02-17-2003, 03:01 PM
What engine do you have? If it's a 95 M42 then can't you just buy a chip and install it yourself?

I think if it's OBD-II you will have issues and will need the dealer to, I think it's called, realign the DME to match your car.

Either was it is a hassle.

fourbanger
02-17-2003, 04:30 PM
I have an M42 Engine.. The problem is that after January 95, ti's came with the chip soldered on. At least that's what I've understood from every website selling such chips. For example, bavarian autosport tells you to check the production date of the car, because if it's pre-95 you can just swap the chip. But if it's built during '95 you have to send the ECU in.

Weird huh? So anyways, it's OBD-I, so I guess I could just swap the ECU and not have trouble?

andy
03-10-2003, 08:00 AM
I have the Conforti chip in my ti. Not difficult to install, combined with the other bolt-ons, it suits the car quite nicely.

Only downside is a need for 93 octane gas. With this chip installed, running on California 91, I start to get check engine lights when the intake temps go up. Running mostly 96 or a few gallons of 100 takes care of the problem. As long as that's okay for your daily driver, I'd say go for it.

Otherwise a custom chip might like GIAC or suchlike be better.

Dan G
03-11-2003, 05:21 AM
I am running Dinan stage III software. Works great and runs fine on 92 octane premium.

On my TI, the software is down loaded so a dealer must reprogram the chip.

asianwitattitude
03-11-2003, 08:42 AM
yo fourbanger i have the m42 too :( never any mods for it dude i swear! anyway...yea dude what do i do if i wanna chip it????