PDA

View Full Version : Need advice...replace head gasket...or new motor

mrnine
05-20-2008, 10:02 PM
I haven't posted here in forever...and now my post is bad news. :-(

My wife overheated in my 318ti (130k). I would have watched the temp gauge but she just wouldn't have been as mindful of this. I'd noticed a bit of coolant in the garage here and there and didn't think too much of it. Perhaps I had let it go too low. Who knows. How far did she drive it hot? Who knows.

Regardless...took it to a shop (local, not BMW shop) and they put in a new radiator and water pump ($1k). However, upon reassembly, they think the head gasket is blown as backpressure builds into the cooling system. So...

I live in the middle of nowhere but have AAA so I can have it towed to a mechanic in Columbus, Ohio for free. A guy named Emmanuel was recommended on Bimmerforums. He says he can do the head gasket replacement for $700 labor + maybe $100 parts. However, under the circumstances, he says he would strongly consider putting in a used low mileage (67k) M44 motor for $2k out the door.

Now...I know what you're thinking. Do a S50/S52 M3 swap! And I hear you. However, it doesn't fit into the budget or life plan at the moment. I just need my reliable wheels back.

What do you all think? What would you do?

blndweasel
05-20-2008, 10:05 PM
It all depends on the condition of the deck once the gasket has been removed. What happens when a head gasket blows, is it allows a small channel of coolant to pass across the deck or head surface, and that has the potential to score / corrode either surface. It sounds like the mechanic is competent, though.

It would be an ideal time to have the head done up with a valve job, though... something to consider. How many miles on your block?

mrnine
05-20-2008, 10:10 PM
There's 129k on the block...clearly got more life in it but I suppose we could call it "middle aged."

I think the mechanic seems quite competent and he has experience with BMW's. His opinion is that the labor on doing a valve job on the head makes the engine swap seem even more appealing as the cost difference is not that big once the machine shop costs get figured in.

96cali
05-21-2008, 03:50 PM
I have heard him recommended too but $2k sounds a bit high. I think it's worth checking into a M52 2.8 motor at least. They are plentiful. I can help out sourcing things from Cincy yards if needed.

Sent you a PM regarding Cincy mechanics- you might want to consider having one of them do the swap if you are moving here.