PDA

View Full Version : oil pan to low

dguzzardo22
05-22-2008, 03:30 AM
i have air suspension on my ti. and its all good but right now i have the prob of my oil pan. its on the ground and i was wandering if there is a way to lift it in any way or buy a low profile one or somethin . bc when i drive i always worried if its ever gonna hit somethin.and i can build a oil pan cover but idk where to start and how thick of metal i can use . i hate droppin it on the pan so id appreciate the help. and i know people are totally against low riders and air bagged trucks /cars. but as long as i like it im gona do it. thanks for the help.

Philly
05-22-2008, 03:34 AM
damn your parents must love you..... tell them i say thanks for getting you new wheels to get rid of those haggard blingin wheels you were rolling around on before

and i have nothin against being slammed... just don't ride it so low when on crappy roads... i doubt your going to want to mess with the oil pan..

silly little boy.

SDKmann
05-22-2008, 03:42 AM
If your slammed everyday you will bust the oil pan sooner or later, you will not escape it. Just know that it will be a cost of "doin what you like" and you can either prepare for it or change your set-up.

Uh oh, evil post 1,666, now your really screwed!

dguzzardo22
05-22-2008, 04:13 AM
well i dont live with my parents . so ill take the credit for sellin my other wheels and gettin these . and as far for the do what i do . i drive normally is only when i park i will lower it . it just lowers to sit on the pan . i bought the kit from airbagit.com . can someone tell me if thats even a good kit. also thats the only place that sells a kit for the e36. also i think im the only one to actually bag my car. so now i have something that no 1 else has especially now . im the only ti on a 50 mi radius. a ti is rare where im from. so now im def different. if someone can check out the kit for me id appreciate it an let me know opinions.

also where would i look to buy a oil pan ??

CirrusSR22
05-22-2008, 04:34 AM
I highly doubt you'll ever find a low profile oil pan.

Your options are:

#1. Risk it.
#2. Bring the car back up to a reasonable ride height. There's a reason cars aren't "slammed" from the factory......
#3. Buy a factory BMW X-Brace. This really should be everyone's first upgrade to their E36. It's two thick steel bars that go right over your oil pan and will protect it nicely. Click on the lower right picture on this write-up.
http://understeer.com/xbrace.shtml
#4. Manufacture some sort of metal protecting cover.

Go with #3!

lazoh
05-22-2008, 04:49 AM
I highly doubt you'll ever find a low profile oil pan.

Your options are:

#1. Risk it.
#2. Bring the car back up to a reasonable ride height. There's a reason cars aren't "slammed" from the factory......
#3. Buy a factory BMW X-Brace. This really should be everyone's first upgrade to their E36. It's two thick steel bars that go right over your oil pan and will protect it nicely. Click on the lower right picture on this write-up.
http://understeer.com/xbrace.shtml
#4. Manufacture some sort of metal protecting cover.

Go with #3!

+1 on going with #3 and here is Socal we have a few e36 cars riding on bags and beleive it or not I have seen some with hidros (hidraulics). In regards to the kit you bought, I have not heard of it and most of the air suspensions here are made from scratch at shops.

dguzzardo22
05-22-2008, 05:12 AM
thanks on the x-brace info i will deff look in to that . that actually might be my final answer. and as far for the kit . thats the only one made for the e36 that i can find. is it the only kit made for the e36 .??

SDKmann
05-22-2008, 05:58 AM
Something tells me that you wont find the information your looking for on the airbags here.

roadrash
05-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Can't you set a "lower limit" on the airbag system so that it stops at a specific point and doesn't rest the weight of the car on the oil pan?

tiFreak
05-22-2008, 08:26 PM
damn your parents must love you..... tell them i say thanks for getting you new wheels to get rid of those haggard blingin wheels you were rolling around on before

don't forget the bra :eek: let's see some pics at full drop :biggrin:

thesk8nmidget
05-22-2008, 08:36 PM
x brace would be the best protection

dguzzardo22
05-23-2008, 03:44 AM
im goin with the xbrace . so it that the only one made for the ti .? what are other sites that sell it because i pretty sure it will get banged up so i don't wanna spend a lot when im just gonna slam it to the ground. any cheaper versions then im just gonna add some more protection and make ot one big metal plate or somethin.

roadrash
05-23-2008, 03:49 AM
That's better than nothing. However, I still think you're "treating the symptom, rather than the disease" and you should first try to stop the car from dropping quite so low. But, that's just my 2 cents worth, and it's your car, so do whatever you want to do. :-D

CirrusSR22
05-23-2008, 03:58 AM
im goin with the xbrace . so it that the only one made for the ti .? what are other sites that sell it because i pretty sure it will get banged up so i don't wanna spend a lot when im just gonna slam it to the ground. any cheaper versions then im just gonna add some more protection and make ot one big metal plate or somethin.

It's the only one I know about. It's made by BMW themselves and is a quality product.

thesk8nmidget
05-23-2008, 03:09 PM
get the xbrace its a stron piece and if needed you could modify it and weld some 1/8 matal triangles into the X to make it solid and that will increase the protection

100 dollars is not expensive for a skid plate

dguzzardo22
05-23-2008, 05:07 PM
ok thanks for the imput . and yes im adding bump stops so it wont lay the whole weight of the car on The pan. and yes i will inforce it. thanks for the imput.

thesk8nmidget
05-23-2008, 05:20 PM
no problem! post some more pictures of the car