PDA

View Full Version : Breakdown on my way to pickup parts

zboot
05-24-2008, 11:39 PM
So,

I'm on the highway driving at around 75-80mph when I hear a weird noise coming from the front of the car. It sounds like something clanging at high speed and I'm thinking it's transmission related.

I'm losing power at the throttle and when I stop giving the car gas, it shuts off. So I pull over to the side of the road. Get out and look under the car. I don't see any transmission pieces on the ground and the driveshaft looks to be intact so I open the hood.

Again, everything seems fine. I attempt to start the car, but it stalls out. However, as the engine is starting, I hear that same noise, though it's slower this time. So, most likely an engine only problem. A few minutes later, I'm able to start and idle the engine.

I get out and isolate the clanging sound to coming from under the engine valve cover. I turn off the engine and other than starting the car to move it slightly so that it could be pulled onto the tow truck, it has not been run again and I don't plan on doing so until I can get it looked at.

The mechanics near the tow place aren't open till Tuesday, so I won't have anything from them till hopefully Tuesday evening.

I'm hoping it's a $500 or less fix (including about $100 for diagnosing the problem). Any clues as to what may have happened and/or how far off I am on estimating the damage?

Anything more than $500 and I'd likely just tow the car back to Pittsburgh and store it until I can buy and swap another engine.

dahamler
05-25-2008, 02:01 AM
So the sound is RPM related so it could be anything in the engine but to me it sounds like rod knock.
Needed info.

Sound: Is it a ping a knock, etc. Does the car rev smooth or shake.
an video with sound would be ideal.
Miles on the engine:
Gauge readings:
Gas octane used:
Engine Mods:

aceyx
05-25-2008, 03:34 AM
Where is the car now?

Have you noticed any oil mixing with antifreeze and vice versa?

zboot
05-25-2008, 08:45 AM
I've not noticed oil mixing with antifreeze but I did not check that today. The car is parked at the tow truck shop until tuesday morning when they will tow it across the street to the mechanic. I'd filled it with 92 octane about ten miles before this happened. Before, I'd usually filled with either 89 or 91 when available/cheaper. I didn't get any CELs at all in this entire period. I've got a 98ti with Dinan flashed ECU, CAI, and free flow Dinan exhaust. The engine is about 143k miles (put on about 150 today before the failure).

The car revs smoothly. It's not so much a knock as much as like something slightly warped banging against the side of a cylinder. The sound is reminiscent of a wheel or gear that is slightly out of balance, enough that it scrapes against the side of a wall. At high speeds, it sounded really scary to me. When I got the engine to idle, it sounded like either a piston or crank shaft out of alignment.

Thanx.

aceyx
05-26-2008, 02:16 AM
If something is loose inside the motor causing the clanging I would probably start looking for a replacement motor.

Labor will kill you on a job like that.

blndweasel
05-26-2008, 02:38 AM
Well, pistons and crankshafts don't "go out of alignment" as you speculate, and it's really difficult to tell from your description what the problem might be.

Your best bet when listening to an engine noise is to use a stethoscope (read: screwdriver) to find out the exact source of the sound. From there, basic engine diagrams like those in your Bentley manual can give you a general idea of what it *might* be.

I would suggest taking it in to a BMW shop and have them share their opinion.

Good luck.

zboot
05-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Well, pistons and crankshafts don't "go out of alignment" as you speculate, and it's really difficult to tell from your description what the problem might be.

Your best bet when listening to an engine noise is to use a stethoscope (read: screwdriver) to find out the exact source of the sound. From there, basic engine diagrams like those in your Bentley manual can give you a general idea of what it *might* be.

I would suggest taking it in to a BMW shop and have them share their opinion.

Good luck.

Yeah. I've pretty much accepted that a "new" engine will likely be the cheapest way to go about resolving this issue. By the time I get the car back to Pittsburgh, I'm not going to be able to afford to do anything for at least a month.

I suppose that would be good. I'd have time to think through and plan out my next steps.

thesk8nmidget
05-26-2008, 03:54 PM
m52???

thats the problem! its lacking one! and now it is protesting!

hope you figure it out and let us know!

aceyx
05-26-2008, 07:06 PM
Is the car east or west of PGH? The reason I ask is that I live just outside of State College.

zboot
05-27-2008, 06:13 AM
Is the car east or west of PGH? The reason I ask is that I live just outside of State College.

I live in PGH but broke down in Angola NY.

Car is at the tow place's lot in Angola until the morning when they will tow it across the street to the mechanic. Hopefully, they can look at it and get started with me just giving them the ok over the phone.

I'll have to find a rental in the morning so I can drive up there. Likely will rent a truck with a receiver. I've got a hitch and tow-bar so assuming my car gets looked at tomorrow, I'll tow it back to Pittsburgh in the afternoon/evening and either have a local guy that I know do the work (if it's relatively inexpensive) or park it at my place until I can acquire a replacement engine.

aceyx
05-27-2008, 07:42 AM
You need to tow a BMW on a flat-bed.

zboot
05-27-2008, 09:06 PM

Yeah. . . I forgot that I'll not have the opportunity to remove the driveshaft and half shafts before this.

Mechanic says lower engine damage. Bent crankshafts + bad bearings. Suggests I find another engine and swap it in.

I'm scheduled for a uhaul and car dolly to get it back here. Now I just need to figure out the cheapest way to get to Angola in the morning. . .

I'm going to be so ****ed in the a** by the tow company. $55 + $4/mile + $25/day to store my car . . . And slightly less by uhaul. Moving from one city to another is an auto two day charge. Even if I return early.

Perhaps I can sublet the Uhaul truck on wednesday or something :)

thesk8nmidget
05-27-2008, 09:35 PM
****ty deal :(

hope it all works out for you

aceyx
05-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Ouch. Hope everything works out well.

Do you not have AAA? And will the garage not store the car for you?

Maybe somebody here will let you store it at their house until you can arrange for car shipping.

zboot
05-27-2008, 10:38 PM
Ouch. Hope everything works out well.

Do you not have AAA? And will the garage not store the car for you?

Maybe somebody here will let you store it at their house until you can arrange for car shipping.

Don't have AAA and I don't know anyone who lives in that area. I'm waiting on uhaul to call me back and confirm my phone reservation. If things go well, I'll have it back here in Pittsburgh tomorrow afternoon.

cooljess76
05-27-2008, 11:08 PM
I rented a uhaul dolly for 2 days and it cost me 125 bucks which included the fees for dropping it off in a different city. No need to disconnect the driveshaft or rent a flatbed, just tow it with the ass in the air. I removed my front bumper and wheel liners so they wouldn't drag. It only took about 10 minutes to take it all apart and throw it in the cargo area. I towed the car about 300 miles with no problems, just make sure that the front wheels are straight and the steering wheel is locked. I even tied the steering wheel to the driver's seat bracket with a rope to ensure it wouldn't move. Good luck man, hope things work out for you.
http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q122/cooljess76/Cimg0004-3.jpg

tiFreak
05-28-2008, 12:23 AM
It only took about 10 minutes to take it all apart and throw it in the cargo area.

that's assuming it's not your first time doing it and you don't have a lot of rusty bolts

zboot
05-28-2008, 04:25 AM
I rented a uhaul dolly for 2 days and it cost me 125 bucks which included the fees for dropping it off in a different city. No need to disconnect the driveshaft or rent a flatbed, just tow it with the ass in the air. I removed my front bumper and wheel liners so they wouldn't drag. It only took about 10 minutes to take it all apart and throw it in the cargo area. I towed the car about 300 miles with no problems, just make sure that the front wheels are straight and the steering wheel is locked. I even tied the steering wheel to the driver's seat bracket with a rope to ensure it wouldn't move. Good luck man, hope things work out for you.

Thanks dude. I'm starting to finally think clearly about the immediate steps to take with this. This forum has saved me a lot of stress and money countless times!

that's assuming it's not your first time doing it and you don't have a lot of rusty bolts

I've done it before so that shouldn't be a problem. After talking with some friends of mine, we decided that it would be best for now to instead of immediately bringing it back to pittsburgh, I'll move it to a parking lot somewhere and leave it there for perhaps a week or two.

My friend's dad is friends with a mechanic in the area and his shop/lot could be a potential storage/work area. While I've got options to work on it in Pittsburgh, keeping it in Angola could work out better for me.

Even if that doesn't work out, it gives me more time to find someone who will lend me the use of their truck for just the cost of gas and a few bucks.

zboot
05-31-2008, 07:16 PM
Another update.

So, I learned that AAA Plus membership entitles one to a 100 mile emergency tow. 100 miles is not enough to get to Pittsburgh (I'd need 200 miles for that) and they frown on piggybacking your 4 tows a year privilege. However, the other thing is workspace and while my buddy's dad has offered his garage, there are some issues with that.

So, I found garage space in Erie PA for $25/mo. If I can get an m44 by next weekend, I think I can have the work done by the end of the following two weekends. Worst case, I pay another $25 bucks and keep the garage for another month.

I just talked to the person who owns the garage space, so working on my car there will not be a problem. My next step is to secure the AAA membership, find an engine, and find money to pay for it.

zboot
06-01-2008, 07:42 PM

Not quite. I just remembered what I'd need to do. Disconnect the half-shafts. Now the car is just like any fwd being towed on it's rear wheels.