PDA

View Full Version : is there a way to figure out if...

Marv17
05-26-2008, 01:49 AM
is there a way to figure out if my car is already equiped with the dinan software or any other ecu reflash software? i've been looking up different ones and wondered if the previous 1st owner already did it. it is a possibility but not sure.

1996 328ti
05-26-2008, 01:56 AM
When does the rev limiter kick in?

And what year is your car?
A 95 will be chipped.

Marv17
05-26-2008, 02:01 AM
umm... im not sure.
its a 1997, it needs to be reflashed since its in the product period. OBD-II.
but i have an automatic. when i take it out for a spin in the ///M mode, the sport button thing, i've went all the up to 6rpms thru the shifts. but i havent passed 100mph yet.
wouldnt the needle bounce once i've reached max rpms the computer allows?

ATF
05-26-2008, 02:54 AM
Get your car up to running temp, put it in neutral and see when the rev limiter kicks in? When you say ///M Mode, the sport button thing, you're not running your car in manual mode and manual switching from 1, 2, 3 and D are you?

thesk8nmidget
05-26-2008, 04:00 PM
exactly what they said make sure it completely warmed up and then put it in neutral and rev it up til it bounces off the rev limiter then let us know how high it went.

Marv17
05-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Get your car up to running temp, put it in neutral and see when the rev limiter kicks in?

alright ill try that out... after work. :-/

When you say ///M Mode, the sport button thing, you're not running your car in manual mode and manual switching from 1, 2, 3 and D are you?

yeah. why? thats what it is for right? thats what i've read a LONG time ago. but i dont rev it up all high when i play with the car that way. maybe up to 5.

Philly
05-26-2008, 07:06 PM
when your DME is reprogrammed through someone like Dinan/TMS.. from what ive seen, they will usually put a sticker of their own right on your DME.

Marv17
05-26-2008, 07:10 PM
really? thats good to know. maybe ill try to give it a look then.

the only reason im asking these question is because i've always wanted to get it done. just to do. if the improvement is worth it in any case. but it'd suck if its already been done and i go try to do it not realizing the previous owner did it and i get charged for it. lol. gotta cover for yourself, never know who can be a messed up like that.

ATF
05-26-2008, 07:51 PM
I was under the impression that's how you would damage your car. The "Sport Mode" is leaving the car in "A" and shifting the car down into third. This allows higher rev's, automatically shifting through 1st, 2nd and up to 3rd. No 4th.

Marv17
05-26-2008, 08:18 PM
I was under the impression that's how you would damage your car. The "Sport Mode" is leaving the car in "A" and shifting the car down into third. This allows higher rev's, automatically shifting through 1st, 2nd and up to 3rd. No 4th.

would it damage it?
well if thats the case, why would bmw make a button like that for?? i dont know. thats odd. i never heard/read that before. hmmm... ill just call the dealer tomorrow. lol.
but so far i've driven the car in the ///M mode every so often and shift thru the gears manually and nothing has happened. i mean, im not crazy with it, and have not heard or felt anything weird because of it.
thanks for giving me your opinion ATF. ill look into that to see if its true.
anyone else heard of something like that??
well anyway, ill rev up the engine later today to the limiter to see if it bounces.

ATF
05-26-2008, 08:21 PM
It's for towing, cases where you need to pick a certain gear and not change gears or times of inclement weather (snow) and you want to have full control over which gear you're running. As for damages, I'm not 100% sure either, but I'd rather not find out the hard way.

Marv17
05-26-2008, 08:24 PM
haha. yeah, for sure on that one. well if it f*cks up its a more of an excuse to go to a manual swap. lol. well hopefully you are wrong, no offense, becuase i've been using it like that for like almost a year. (well not every day)