PDA

View Full Version : Fogged airbox???

leemur
06-14-2002, 05:47 PM
I just yesterday did a the fogged airbox mod to my 96 ti. And i was wondering if anyone else has done this modification and if so are you guys as happy with it as i am.and the way i set it up i should be getting significally cooler air than with the stock set up.If you want more details on this mod go to the performace section of this guys page. www.mz3.net (http://www.mz3.net) the site is on z3s but the 1.9 is the same engine. the mod only cost me 30 bucks and thats cheap considering the price of other high flow air intakes.I can also post or send pictures of the mod if requested.

DougZ
06-17-2002, 08:06 PM
I did that mod too. I like it. Works well.

XxjEeYeDxX
09-17-2002, 01:15 AM
thanks for the link. i was getting agitated because so many people told me to fogg the airbox, yet no one would tell me how.

XxjEeYeDxX
09-19-2002, 03:43 AM
well i am very happy with the fogged intake box. and you know what? this mod only cost me $10.00 because i shopped around. i set mine up to run right behind the driver's side foglight in an area that gets little water. it is far enough from the engine and gets direct air from the bumper, so the air is considerably colder. hope everyone else enjoys this cheap mod.

318mti
12-11-2002, 06:57 PM
It is a great mod to do. I did it on my 98 and will be doing it on my 99 as soon as it gets warm enough to work outside.

PS Shawn is my brother so I am a little biased but it still was great especially for the price.

asianwitattitude
02-27-2003, 03:20 AM
i can see how you can gain hp but i can also see how you can easily get water into the air intake and that i heard is almost deadly to the car.

96cali
02-27-2003, 05:50 AM
on my list as soon as she comes out of storage. can't wait! i know bimmer95 did it. a pic is at www.understeer.com . what's unique about his pic is that the front grille and bumper are off during repairs for a fender bender.

JedzE36/5
02-17-2004, 06:59 AM
well to my understanding, as long as the intake is not completely submerged in water, it should be fine. something about the physics. here is what someone told me. think about drinking water out of a straw. now make the diameter of the straw about 5-10 times larger and try to suck the same amount. it is harder eh? well the sucking power from the 4banger isnt strong enough (correct me if i am wrong) to be able to suck disrupptive amounts of water out of a 4" diameter tube (which i have on my fogged box. might be too large, im thinking of going smaller.

schussey
02-18-2004, 04:39 AM
i need to do this mod......anybody up to recommending some supplies?

96cali
02-18-2004, 03:07 PM
I found a used airbox with hoses on ebay- I plan to use the "stock" hose and parts to have an even more finished look. Just an idea.

L84THSKY
09-15-2004, 07:41 PM
Hello

I am very interested in the air box conversion for my 1998 318ti. What concerns me is I do not have fog lights on my car at the moment. What is in place of my fog lights are two inserts. Do I have to actually install fog lights to get the air flow, or do i remove the inserts and just place the hose behind the front left fog light hole?

Thanks
Eric

radkins
10-23-2004, 03:39 AM
Can this be done on the 95 M42 engine as well?

GDB
10-23-2004, 09:11 PM
Can this be done on the 95 M42 engine as well?

as long as the intake track is comparable then yes.

bmw///m3///
10-23-2004, 10:39 PM
Hello

I am very interested in the air box conversion for my 1998 318ti. What concerns me is I do not have fog lights on my car at the moment. What is in place of my fog lights are two inserts. Do I have to actually install fog lights to get the air flow, or do i remove the inserts and just place the hose behind the front left fog light hole?

Thanks
Eric

the snokel is ran from the brake cooling vents not the fog lights.

the offical fogged website- www.logun.org/fog.htm

L84THSKY
11-01-2004, 09:19 PM
I read the instructions on doing the "Fogged" box, but can't seem to find the 4" flexible hose. I went to Home Depot and got the 4" to 3" adapter and the glue gun and the large hose clamps. The instructions said go to pep Boys or Auto Zone to get the 4" flexible hose, but I tried many stores, no one has the stuff.

well i am very happy with the fogged intake box. and you know what? this mod only cost me $10.00 because i shopped around. i set mine up to run right behind the driver's side foglight in an area that gets little water. it is far enough from the engine and gets direct air from the bumper, so the air is considerably colder. hope everyone else enjoys this cheap mod.

3DGE
08-02-2007, 02:44 AM
SO like all I do is take out the box, cut a larger hole ad mesh to the hole, glue it and BAM!?!

robcarync
08-02-2007, 04:24 AM
and add a 4 inch hose that routes down behind the fog light...and BAM

3DGE
08-02-2007, 07:48 AM
and add a 4 inch hose that routes down behind the fog light...and BAM
I am going to try this sometime BAM!

trickiekid
08-02-2007, 03:18 PM
I am thinking of doing it this weekend. But I also want to get the piece that clips to the rad support. I want to have one on both sides of the radiator, but I am wondering if that would work. Or, what about routing the hose up from the foglight knockout (I am foglight challenged.) I think I am going to pull the bumper and check clearences. I have some good Ideas, just wanna make sure they are feasable and it would look good, painted dryer duct doesn't appeal to my eye.

bullmand
08-03-2007, 03:32 AM
trickiekid,
If you'd like to take a look at my setup sometime late next week, just let me know. I've got the M44/M42 dual intake thing going. I also just put some Dynamat on the airbox to try and reject some of the heat from the radiator.

trickiekid
08-03-2007, 11:13 AM
trickiekid,
If you'd like to take a look at my setup sometime late next week, just let me know. I've got the M44/M42 dual intake thing going. I also just put some Dynamat on the airbox to try and reject some of the heat from the radiator.

That would be great bullmand. Just let me know when you got a chance.

bullmand
08-03-2007, 12:55 PM
I'm TDY until Wednesday afternoon, but I should be on post Thursday and Friday. Let me know which day is better for you.

trickiekid
08-03-2007, 02:10 PM
Whichever, I work really early and i am off nlt noon, but live on post. So what ever is most convenient for you, i am going to be picking your brain a little.

pdxmotorhead
08-03-2007, 04:25 PM
as long as the intake track is comparable then yes.

Based on the picture posted by others.... My 95 has a different intake than the later cars, and it already gets its air from right out front next to the left headlight, without the long crossover pipe of the later cars.. May be a good sound mod but I doubt its going to buy much power on the 42, there might be a small gain from a bigger pipe but it would be a small gain.

I can see however how it would help the later M44 cars because their intake to the air box is convoluted and doesn't get the cold air like the 95...

Just .02 more dollars worth

Dave

M3_KILL3R
08-03-2007, 07:11 PM
I did the fogg technique to my 95 and i couldnt be happier. The power increase is noticeable but i do miss the roar of the short ram. I used a 3 inch tube instead of a 4 because i read that there isnt that much of a difference between them and i didnt need to do any modin to the airbox for it to fit i just screwed it in and BAM! you got yourself a cold air feed. http://318ti.org/forum/showthread.php?t=16844
got some good pics up