PDA

View Full Version : Urgent Suspension Question - Control Arm

ClutchJones
06-01-2008, 08:53 PM
I had to get under my '98 318ti today to address the issue of a plastic skid plate that has become detached on the right side and is dragging on the ground when I noticed something more alarming...

About 10 days ago, I had the control arm bushing replaced on the right side. Today, I glanced over at the control arm and noticed that where it attaches to the wheel (ball joint, perhaps?) there appears to be a bracket or thin plate that attaches to the bottom side of where the control arm slides into. It is only attached on one side and is bent slightly away from the other attachment point. Over on the left side it's all nice and snug, so I know this is jacked up.
My question is... is it safe to drive, or is that little bracket an essential component that could cause major failure of that joint if it's not fixed immediately?

1996 328ti
06-01-2008, 10:37 PM
What part?

ClutchJones
06-02-2008, 06:19 PM
What part?

In the first diagram you posted, it appears to be on the bottom of part #19. In the diagram it doesn't look like it is a separate piece, so maybe the piece is not actually on the diagram...
I'll try to post a pic.

Mallard
06-02-2008, 06:27 PM
hmm, the balljoint itself is pressed in , but it sits tight due to that bracket arrangement you mentioned.

Not good that its only fixed at the one side :(
Strange that your mechanic didnt see it when u were having the controll bushes swapped..

If you are thinking replacement arms then get E30 items. The balljoints are pressed in just like the E36 M3 items, but are actually cheaper than the E36 regular arms..

Ball joints are an E36 weakness.

ClutchJones
06-02-2008, 07:11 PM
Right front wheel....

Mallard
06-02-2008, 08:51 PM
yep looks fubarīd :(

thesk8nmidget
06-02-2008, 10:01 PM
all sorts of wonky

1996 328ti
06-02-2008, 11:44 PM
I wouldn't even drive it.

FUBAR is the right word.

ClutchJones
06-12-2008, 11:36 PM
I wouldn't even drive it.

FUBAR is the right word.

I've been up under there for a better look and it appears to have no structural value. It looks more like some sort of guard for the bolt under it. It slides off and on too easily to be something holding back a catastrophic failure. I think the kid who did the work a couple of weeks ago didn't put it back on properly but it's all good now.
No little flap of iron will keep me from driving my car for long:biggrin:

zboot
06-13-2008, 12:12 AM
looking at your picture, I'm guessing they had a hard time getting it off and bent the end that the flap is supposed to go into. Then they put it back thinking you wouldn't notice.