PDA

View Full Version : Multi-link rear end transplant

q2driver
06-02-2008, 06:58 AM
Hello,
I am seeking a BMW suspension guru who might know the possibility of transplanting a M3, MZ4, Mini, or other multilink rear suspension in my Ti. I noticed the new European Ti's have multilink rear suspensions. I am looking for a stronger and better handling rear end for the 400+ HP in my car. I presently have a MZ3 rear end. I am dropping the rear sub frame for welding reinforcement plates and now would be a good time to modify the frame for a new rear end. I know a bolt in isn't possible, but if it fits under the car and improves the handling over the trailing arm setup, I can make the necessary mods to make it work.
Does anybody have or know where I can find this information? Thanks...

mohaughn
06-02-2008, 03:33 PM
I've not seen a modified rear end, that actually gives you a multi-link rear end.

You may want to call these guys.. This is the best solution for a high horsepower car with the E30/Ti/Z3/m-coupe rear end.. But just makes it stronger, still uses trailing arms.

For the m-coupes, this is what the owners were doing when the trunk floor tears. The Ti floor and diff mount is a bit different, so I don't think their existing kit would work without modifications. But going to a dual ear diff cover is probably the best way to handle all the extra power.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=13136896

Randy Forbes
SPORTS CARS PLUS, LLC 419-350-1098

Randy is a member on bimmerforums.

Mallard
06-02-2008, 06:36 PM
you will need to fabricate mounting brackets for the Zlink underbody. It would take a lot of time, and allignment is key.

But if you have the time and money :D