PDA

View Full Version : Rattle Can Sound

LimitlessTI
06-03-2008, 02:30 PM
Well after changing out the shocks on the rear my rattling did go away for about 100 miles but now its back and worse than ever:frown:. I took the wheel off last night after work and started tapping on parts with a screw driver to see if something was loose and whatnot. I did notice that my rear Rotor guard made the same exact sound when I tapped it as when I'm driving. Its not loose at all. I did also notice the brake line running behind it also makes the same sound when it hits the guard. Has anyone ran into this problem? Doesnt seem like its a big issue but darn is it annoying when I'm driving home in the evening with the windows down:mad:. It doesnt have to be a bad bump at all to make the noise, just driving down the road will cause it too. I need to replace my rear subrame bushings so I figured if there was a way to tackle this while I'm doing that it would save me an extra weekend.

Kenny

ATF
06-03-2008, 02:45 PM
I've heard the anti-rattle clips on the brake pads will do the same thing? (the same rattle sound) Someone posted this before.

blndweasel
06-03-2008, 03:31 PM
Check to be sure those rear brake lines / ASC sensors / whatever else is back there are clipped in to the plastic clips that attach them to the control arm / frame.

LimitlessTI
06-03-2008, 03:35 PM
I've heard the anti-rattle clips on the brake pads will do the same thing? (the same rattle sound) Someone posted this before.
Yea, I searched for it but didnt find anything that was really too helpfull. I will check that clip later tonight when I get off work, thanks

StealthBimmer
06-03-2008, 03:37 PM
+1 make sure the lines are tight or tie wrap them if needed. Check to see if the brake shield is not touching the brake disc. Sometimes when people are taking off the wheel it hits the top of it. This will also make a metal noise while driving.

naustin
06-03-2008, 03:48 PM
I have this same problem. Doesnt even need to be a bump, just any kinda of imperfection in teh road makes it rattle, very annoying. Watching this thread for answers.

LimitlessTI
06-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Check to be sure those rear brake lines / ASC sensors / whatever else is back there are clipped in to the plastic clips that attach them to the control arm / frame.
Now that you mention that I do recall seeing a few lines just "floating" there. Not really clipped in place. I got to double check that as well, thanks

thesk8nmidget
06-03-2008, 08:28 PM
maybe wrap the metal parts of the lines in some electrical tape and then zip tie them so they cant make any more clicking noise

Mallard
06-03-2008, 09:47 PM
mabey an idea to take of the disc on that side and check the handbrake assembly?

if you have a loose shoe it will spring around and knock against the rotorguard

tiFreak
06-03-2008, 10:23 PM
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by a "rattle can noise" but I did have a noise caused by either a rock or piece of rusty metal that was stuck between my rotor and dust shield in the back

blndweasel
06-03-2008, 10:25 PM
+1 on the deformed dust shield thing... if you don't support the wheel properly when it comes off the hub, the inside of the rim pushes the dust shield down, and it rubs against the rotor. I usually give the top of the dust shield a push back everytime I'm in there, to make sure there's proper clearance.

naustin
06-04-2008, 04:28 PM
I like Mallard's idea. The metallic sound isnt quite the same as any sound ive been able to make with the disc shield.

LimitlessTI
06-05-2008, 03:17 AM
Well my noise has gone away for now at least. I pulled the tire off and checked the shield, gave it a little tweak all the way around and took a drive. still the same rattle. So I came home and pulled the tire off again. This time I zip-tied the cables to the control arm and now my rattle went away. I couldnt find any anti-rattle clips so zip-ties took their place. But thanks for the help, now I can ride in peace :tongue:

LimitlessTI
06-05-2008, 03:20 AM
mabey an idea to take of the disc on that side and check the handbrake assembly?

if you have a loose shoe it will spring around and knock against the rotorguard
This was my next step but the zip-ties cure mine. I need to replace my brake pads here soon anyways so I will double check all that when I pull it apart even further just in case. thanks