PDA

View Full Version : AC Idle dip in RPM's

BMW95318TI
06-06-2008, 02:25 AM
I was wondering if anybody has had in problems when the AC is on and when the compressor kicks on the idle dips way down almost like it is going to die and then rebounds back to normal?

Other than that it idle's fine during normal operation. Any help would be great.

Thanks,

Mark

thesk8nmidget
06-06-2008, 03:50 AM
ive had the problem before. i think it has to do with the car getting a hard load all of the sudden and studdering.

Bobbak
06-06-2008, 07:45 AM
mine does that same thing but it sounds like it will stall and i lack performance when the as is on and my cars idle is really crappy

Marv17
06-06-2008, 08:04 AM
im experiencing the same thing. every once in a while itll drop down a bit and do a half of a shake and be normal. i dunno if its the 4 cyl not powerful enough to power everything at once or what. (says my uncle who works on MBs and BMWs) but its been like that for a while. but since ive done the valve gaskets its a bit better now.

zboot
06-06-2008, 06:16 PM
im experiencing the same thing. every once in a while itll drop down a bit and do a half of a shake and be normal. i dunno if its the 4 cyl not powerful enough to power everything at once or what. (says my uncle who works on MBs and BMWs) but its been like that for a while. but since ive done the valve gaskets its a bit better now.

Happens in every car. You turn on the AC, it draws some power from the engine to run. If you're idling, you'd notice the rpm dip. In smaller cars, it's pretty noticeable. I noticed this all the time in my ti and my buddy's s2000. In fact, he'd always turn off the AC after we'd come to a stop light just so he'd have all that extra HP when the light went green :)

madfronter
06-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Yeah thats expected in almost any car its just with our little 4 cylinders we notice it a lot more. Its totally normal though.

naustin
06-06-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah i get it. Everyone does to a degree. Mine doesnt act like its gonna die though, just shakes for a sec.

led_zeppelin84
06-15-2008, 08:45 PM
i got the same problem, have since i first got the car. jerk o nought it from forgot to mention that. it does feel really bad, with ac, sometimes it feels like i gotta give it super gas when im stopped at lights or it will for sure die. really pisses me off and scares me, i kinda feel like its got somethin to do with the check engine light. wish there was a cure