PDA

View Full Version : how to clean injectors?

Marv17
06-07-2008, 04:10 AM
anyone know how to access to the injectors to clean them out? i want to clean as much as i can to get the best gas mileage as possible. just saw today its just about $4.50 here. :frown: :yikes:
and im trying not to drive as much so im trying to find lil things to do around the house or to the ti.
so if you know how to do it, please help me out by informing me. thanks pplz.

cooljess76
06-07-2008, 04:19 AM
injectors are very delicate and if you don't have the proper equipment or know-how, you could seriously screw them up. Your best bet is to take them to a shop and have them professionally cleaned and flow tested by a technician.

ShortE36
06-07-2008, 04:24 AM
Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner.

Marv17
06-07-2008, 05:23 AM
hmmm... okay. thanks jesse. guess thats out of the question. so what do you suggest i should clean or do? to improve gas mileage?? or should i somehow clean up the whole motor? i just to be kept busy without spending to much money, ya know? lol.

cooljess76
06-07-2008, 05:26 AM
Didn't you just seafoam your engine?

thesk8nmidget
06-07-2008, 05:28 AM
stole the words out of my mouth jesse.

also chevron techron seems to help me out

Kohote
06-07-2008, 06:26 AM
I don't know about cleaning the injectors, but I think these may help to improve fuel economy(I plan on eventually doing all these mods):
Rear window wiper delete, antenna delete, smaller more aerodynamic mirrors(m3 ones?), lowering the car 1-2 inches, max psi on original 185 15 inch tires, removing as much weight as you are willing to, blocking or taping off a large portion of the front grill and vents, fabricating full underbody panels, switching to a lower number rear diff, all sorts of custom aerodynamic pieces
I am sure there are plenty others, hopefully with gas so expensive people will start to experiment more and discover new fuel efficient mods, driving style also has a large impact on fuel economy.

Marv17
06-07-2008, 09:41 AM
yeah. i did. but i dont know i it made a big difference. not sure if i used enough. ill try it again i suppose. this time thru that hose i didnt do.
i used cheveron mostly but it got too expensive.
kohot >> ???
well if i dont go to the beach tomorrow ill do something. cuz my mileage isnt how some of the other members are getting. maybe spiffy up the motor and try to make it look squeeky clean.

mohaughn
06-07-2008, 04:00 PM
I see people saying they get 37mpg, and I just don't know how that is possible. I would almost suspect a bad OBC calibration if the OBC is reporting that high of mileage. I get around 27-29mpg with recently cleaned/flow tested injectors..

Kohote
06-07-2008, 07:11 PM
so what do you suggest i should clean or do? to improve gas mileage??

to get the best gas mileage as possible . . .
and im trying not to drive as much so im trying to find lil things to do around the house or to the ti.
so if you know how to do it, please help me out by informing me. thanks pplz.

kohot >> ???

I was just giving you some more advice on how to get the best gas mileage as possible, as it seems you are trying to improve it in any way you can, not just by cleaning the injectors. :smile:

Marv17
06-07-2008, 07:13 PM
yeah i know what you mean. im barely starting to get like 23-25mpg at the most. ever since i change the valve gaskets and cleaned up the spark plugs its been a bit better. but im still stumped on how to get more than 25mpg to 30 mpg like others are getting... i would like to get the same if possible.

anyone know of what we can do to improve the mileage?

lazoh
06-07-2008, 07:45 PM
yeah i know what you mean. im barely starting to get like 23-25mpg at the most. ever since i change the valve gaskets and cleaned up the spark plugs its been a bit better. but im still stumped on how to get more than 25mpg to 30 mpg like others are getting... i would like to get the same if possible.

anyone know of what we can do to improve the mileage?

Go back to a 15 inch rim and you should hit the 28 to 30 mpg, however not the stock wheels you had since they are chrome and this makes them heavier.

Marv17
06-07-2008, 08:51 PM
haha. yeah. i dunno about going back to the stockies man. lol. guess ill have to give into that then.

thesk8nmidget
06-08-2008, 11:20 PM
wheels are a huge part of fuel economy.

but when was the last time your o2 sensors were replaced?

elfhearse
06-09-2008, 01:59 AM
I was getting 34.6 to 35.1 MPG on my 45mile commute to work on stock 15" wheels. Put on new Kosei 16" rims and Dunlop Direzzi's...mileage is dropping back to 34.1 MPG..minor but the larger wheel makes a difference.

Remove the spare tire too? ..if ya feel lucky.

Marv17
06-09-2008, 02:20 AM
wheels are a huge part of fuel economy.

but when was the last time your o2 sensors were replaced?

i have no idea. i want to email they previous owner and find out tho.

I was getting 34.6 to 35.1 MPG on my 45mile commute to work on stock 15" wheels. Put on new Kosei 16" rims and Dunlop Direzzi's...mileage is dropping back to 34.1 MPG..minor but the larger wheel makes a difference.

Remove the spare tire too? ..if ya feel lucky.

i have removed the spare already. lol.
i went from 15" to 18". but i do mostly city driving.

pnosker
06-09-2008, 03:12 AM
I get 37 on average. My OBC isn't calibrated well (it reads that I get 43 mpg), but with the filled tank/empty measurement, it gets to be between 36.5 and 37.0 mpg almost every tank of similar driving.

drrty byl
06-09-2008, 06:47 AM
35+ on the highway with a stock ti is possible. I did a ~450 trip this weekend and filled up to find that the MPG reading of 36.8 was correct [after doing the math]. This of course with stock wheels, recently cleaned injectors and relatively new o2 sensors, and a new CCV valve and injector hoses.

nyle
07-11-2008, 07:16 PM
hey i have a question about this....

there is that pelicanparts article that says how to clean the injectors (he uses brake cleaner). now personally i'm not willing to spray brake cleaner into my injector unless someone else has done it first with success.... soo... anyone??

Marv17
07-11-2008, 07:25 PM
good question. something i'd like to know.

Teresi
07-15-2008, 04:10 PM
Use any fuel injector cleaner. I like to use lucas! It is about 5 bucks a bottle, but it is nice considering all you do is put it in your gas tank when it is full

nyle
07-15-2008, 04:33 PM
i was referring to off car cleaning

drrty byl
07-15-2008, 09:32 PM
I've done it. Just be gentle with the injectors and avoid using any kind of cloth that would leave residue or fibers. If you're still weary about cleaning them yourself, there are numerous injector cleaning services out there that will clean and flow-test them for something like $50.

318tifan
07-20-2008, 11:34 PM
not sure if this applies, but
if ti's use MAF, clean those...

Maverix
07-21-2008, 01:39 AM
Try using 100% Acetone. It is known to give v8's 5mpg extra. Imagine what it could do for inline 4's. Only 3 tablespoons is suggested for a full tank. Acetone is a nail polish remover. But keep in mind that it needs to be 100% otherwise you might be risking a disastrous nightmare. Though I suggest everyone to research acetone before ever messing with it. It's a powerful acid and it could easily remove the paint on any car.

And just for the record, 100% acetone is safe if you use a safe amount. It doesn't harm anything and only does good. You can youtube it and you will see many results of people using acetone in their cars and commenting on how useful it is.

Acetone is not expensive either. Though the only problem is, the only way to get acetone from the internet. But it never hurts to ask around.

pnosker
07-21-2008, 04:22 AM
Just to clarify, acetone isn't an acid, it's an organic solvent, also known as propanone.

Maverix
07-21-2008, 04:30 AM
Haha, oops. There I go misreading again. Sometimes I tend to skip a word in a sentence. In the end, it makes me look like a dumba**. Pnosker is right, it's not an acid.

Jean H.318TI
07-21-2008, 10:31 AM
i get 30mpg driving the car really hard all the time and 35+ normal driving, stock intake with k&n filter and 2 new o2 sensors, new injectors, new spark plugs, new pcv valve, no cat and freeflow exhaust, 100+lbs weight reduction and 17" wheels and i use injector and fuel system cleaners every 3000 miles to keep everything clean and i clean the whole intake manifold and tb every 6000 miles all those lil things help :)

nyle
07-21-2008, 12:10 PM
i wish i could drive with no cat :)

stupid PA emissions.

cope
07-22-2008, 05:32 AM
Try using 100% Acetone. It is known to give v8's 5mpg extra. Imagine what it could do for inline 4's. Only 3 tablespoons is suggested for a full tank. Acetone is a nail polish remover. But keep in mind that it needs to be 100% otherwise you might be risking a disastrous nightmare. Though I suggest everyone to research acetone before ever messing with it. It's a powerful acid and it could easily remove the paint on any car.

And just for the record, 100% acetone is safe if you use a safe amount. It doesn't harm anything and only does good. You can youtube it and you will see many results of people using acetone in their cars and commenting on how useful it is.

Acetone is not expensive either. Though the only problem is, the only way to get acetone from the internet. But it never hurts to ask around.

Acetone is great stuff I have used for 3 years. It will errode plastic and there are plastic coated gas tanks. It is worth the risk so far even saved a fuel pump.
Good Luck,
John Paul

nyle
07-22-2008, 02:45 PM
It is worth the risk so far even saved a fuel pump.

lol. isnt a tank more expensive than a pump? if not, it is definitely way more work.