PDA

View Full Version : Polk 5.25 in my '98

teri4lance
08-03-2001, 01:30 AM
It wasn't to bad. Polk 5.25 fit in the front kick panel and in the back panel with a little modification. I have not been using the tweet and mids in the door since the factory amp trauma, and really I have not missed them. Four new speakers and a new Blau sound 100x the stock system. Eventually I will amp and wire the doors, but that will be the final step. The 5.25's fit in the kickpanels tightly but no mods neededat all. The back deck however required a little finess. The factory blessed me with a set of Nokia 4" subs co-located with a very small tweeter. They a both wired together, no crossover, nothing. The 4" is in a small adapterthat tilts it at an angle and lets it sit a few inches lower than the grill. In other words you will not find a replacement speaker that fits unless you were to tape it on to the adapter. I removed the adapter and found that 5.25's almost fit perfectly. I had to remove a small corner of plastic on the bottom of the grill that you cannot see using my handy Dremel and it fit perfectly. But only 1 facoty screw lined up. I then had to drill 3 small holes in order to mount the Polks, and used the nice black screws that came with the speakers. After I replaced the head unit the difference was dramatic, after putting in new speakers and wiring around the factory amp it was almost unbelievabe. It will be awhile before I put in the amp/sub (a single 10") but I'll post that experience too.

Dan Burger
08-08-2001, 05:47 PM
So you can fit 5.25 in the back panel with a little mod? sounds good to me! Thanks for the post.