PDA

View Full Version : Metric Pistons Finally!

marko
06-13-2008, 09:52 PM
just got my package from Metric Mechanic!

86mm Turbo Pistons (10:1 comp. ratio maintained) $780
H Beam Rods $780
Moly Rings $80
Tri Metal Rod Bearings $140

Expensive as hell, but WTF, you live once right... LOL

thesk8nmidget
06-13-2008, 10:04 PM
nice!! let us know how it goes!

blndweasel
06-13-2008, 10:05 PM
What manufacturer are those rods / pistons? I'm a little surprised that the piston skirts on plasma-moly coated, considering the price point.

The rods look nice, with bushed full floating wrist pins. Are they 5140 chromoly? They look shot peened, properly finished. They look like the Eagle rods I bought for my vette.

Are those ARP rod cap bolts? Be sure to get torque specs from the hardware vendor, the rod vendor, and Metric. Compare the torque specs, and if there is any discrepancy, raise hell to find out why... When I did my last build, everyone was quoting a different number. The way to do it correctly is to buy a jig that measures rod cap bolt stretch while under torque, but who the hell has one of those anyways? I certainly don't.

Are the pistons dished, relieved, or both, or just flat-topped? Just curious about how they achieved their specific CR. I'm assuming you went through and calculated the dynamic CR? I'm assuming they're forged? 4150?

What rod bearings? That's really pricey for rod bearings. A top-end set of Clevites should only set you back about $80 for their H-series. Course I dunno, perhaps they charge a premium for import parts.

Using a stock crank? Check that the journal fillets match up with the rods... e.g. if the rods have wide journal fillets and the crank is stock, you might end up with problems.

blndweasel
06-13-2008, 10:06 PM
ooh... and you're going to have the whole assembly balanced, right? it's well worth the $250... and no, they shouldn't be charging you much more than $250-300 for a full balance.

thesk8nmidget
06-13-2008, 10:14 PM
ohhh mark send me one of those please and i'll reproduce a set for myself, i have a buddy with a cnc and i have the software to design :)

marko
06-13-2008, 10:45 PM
What manufacturer are those rods / pistons?
**not sure - Teddy from Metric mention mentioned that they got someone who CNCs all the pistons for them - I never asked who though.
I'm a little surprised that the piston skirts on plasma-moly coated, considering the price point. The rods look nice, with bushed full floating wrist pins. Are they 5140 chromoly? They look shot peened, properly finished. They look like the Eagle rods I bought for my vette.
**again, not sure who makes them - only markings they have are as follows: Y5430 on the rod arm & UE398 on rod caps. Are those ARP rod cap bolts? Be sure to get torque specs from the hardware vendor, the rod vendor, and Metric. Compare the torque specs, and if there is any discrepancy, raise hell to find out why... When I did my last build, everyone was quoting a different number. The way to do it correctly is to buy a jig that measures rod cap bolt stretch while under torque, but who the hell has one of those anyways? I certainly don't.
** Yes they are 3/8" ARP 2000 bolts & the spec simply saiz 45 ft. lb.
Are the pistons dished, relieved, or both, or just flat-topped? Just curious about how they achieved their specific CR. I'm assuming you went through and calculated the dynamic CR? I'm assuming they're forged? 4150?
**Yes they are flat top & certainly forged - 13% silicone content too. Metric has an entire explanation on their site as far as piston design - rings are moved lower down the piston for heat dispersion (that much I do remember) LOL
What rod bearings? That's really pricey for rod bearings. A top-end set of Clevites should only set you back about $80 for their H-series. Course I dunno, perhaps they charge a premium for import parts.
** they are Clevite 77 Tri Armor - CB 1775 HK1.
Using a stock crank? Check that the journal fillets match up with the rods... e.g. if the rods have wide journal fillets and the crank is stock, you might end up with problems
** Yeah its gonna be a stock M44 crank & I will check but I'm sure they'll fit - these guys (Metric Mechanic) seem amazing as far as knowledge... I will have the whole assembley balanced - I already found a reputable race shop to open up the cylinders & put everything together. I'm also excited they managed to keep my 10:1 (well, 9.68:1 + Cometic head gasket = 10:1) compression - by means of using (I think he said) M42 rod & wrist pin design - and so appearently when combined with a M44 crank maintains 10:1 comp while increasing displacement to 2.0... It should all work flawlessly (I hope). Check them out - freaking sick stuff & they are super friendly to boot.

http://www.metricmechanic.com/pdfs/metric-mechanic-m42-and-m44-engine-booklet.pdf http://www.metricmechanic.com/

marko
06-13-2008, 10:55 PM
:biggrin: too funny... LOL

ohhh mark send me one of those please and i'll reproduce a set for myself, i have a buddy with a cnc and i have the software to design :)

tiFreak
06-14-2008, 08:38 PM
:biggrin: too funny... LOL

I have a better idea, send them to me and give me the money to have them installed in my car :cool:

<( '.' )>
06-14-2008, 08:56 PM
Nice set off upgrades you got there.