PDA

View Full Version : A/C wiring/electrical issues /fixed

NeoP
06-17-2008, 07:24 PM
Guys,

wanted to let you be a part of a hard issue i finally fixed!
Nearly a year ago my a/c stopped working the other day. Couple of frustrating tasks later i figured the fuse to be killed - worked with a replacement for a couple of weeks (i bought an automatic one, then ;-) ). Sadly, it jumped nearly every day the last months, not bothering me during the heavy bavarian winter... :cool:
After i figured that it was a spark going from the connector of the clutch at the pump i tried to check on this one, but guess what it was, after weeks of wondering and frustration? The cable going from the connector to the clutch, around a sharp edgy part of the pump. Everytime it touched the sharp metal of the pumps frame, it did a spark and killed the fuse. :eek: This cable is quite tiny and on the surface of the pump. You can see it when looking in from the top of the engine bay.
Solution: putting it a little away from the edge, and covering the whole thing with "Drei-Bond", a silicone that is like toothpaste to work with and ends up very firm like maybe you know from your bathrooms corners or the kitchen. You can get it from BMW. I munched it alle over the area, and since it got dried out my a/c is working like a charm. :biggrin:
Only for you guys maybe wondering why your fuse drops sometimes, maybe check on this one. Any questions? Having a diploma in a/c wiring and root cause analysis here ;-)

Cheers,

NeoP

thesk8nmidget
06-17-2008, 07:35 PM
nice! i'll have to keep this in mind if it ever starts happening..

maybe snap some pictures for future reference as well

NeoP
06-17-2008, 07:55 PM
sorry, cant do as this is to deep inside the engine bay - but will assist with drawings and assistance anytime for your convenience.

montjuic
07-27-2008, 10:07 AM
Very good tip...I'm going to have to take a look.
My a/c worked yesterday---good.
Today, nothing. Checked Fuse #39--7.5--and it was blown. Bought replacement fuses
and has blown three so far.....it' 95 degrees F where i am now and would like for it to work.
I hope I can find this cable you've mentioned.

thanks

NeoP
07-27-2008, 02:43 PM
Tip: Get an automatic fuse that you can klick in again (sorry for the bad explanation). Anyways, wiggle the connector of the clutch (you can reach it from the top) and see what you cann find out, i saw sparks and stuff, so it was quite easy to find the spot. Maybe yours will work when the connector is bended towards the left side (so did mine) and so i could find out.

Good Luck!

Neop

montjuic
07-29-2008, 11:05 PM
Do you mean Fuse #16 for an automatic?
I'll take a look when I get home.....I feel like it'd be a simple
fix. Crossing fingers!

Danke,

B

hotmilk400
09-17-2008, 12:56 AM
by any chance, did this cause u to get random check engline lighs.. my ac will do that.. i will check on what u just suggested.. seems like something my car would do.. it loves to piss me off.. Resistentialism!

BTW.. i just checked.. THANKS A FREAKING TON FOR THIS INFO.. i am blowing fuse 39 as well.. my ac works fine when i am idle (and i replace the fuse) but when i drive it, it will shortly blow the fuse.. and sometiems takes more then with it.. but everything else works, the fan, the blower.. and stuff like that..

NeoP
09-17-2008, 05:42 AM
hotmilk: We don't have those check engine lights on ti's here in europe. Anyways, your symptoms/description is nailing it. Just like i experienced it. Since i fixed it by isolating this wire everything is A BLISS!!
Here's a pic on what sharp edge/corner i mean where my cables isolation got busted:
http://www.pic-upload.de/17.09.08/m34o8o.jpg
Try to check whether this cable is - when bent, moved or "touched" the bad boy throwing your fuse. Then, try to isolate it - be creative!:wink:

hotmilk400
09-17-2008, 03:44 PM
thanks alot for the picture!! i wasnt 100% sure where the cable was going to be. i will let u know how it turns out then.. u are awesome!! thanks for posting your find online. u might have just saved me $500 or more if i would have taken it to a dealer.