PDA

View Full Version : 95 CD Changer Help!!!!

thebazel
06-12-2002, 07:07 PM
I have a 95 ti and am in desperate need of a cd player. But I just can't find anything that's compatible other than the expensive OEM players. Do I need a converter for any cd changer I buy? Even autotoys.com seems to have a package for ever BMW except a friggin 95..
Any help on how to put a damn cd player in my car?

Ralliart
06-13-2002, 12:08 AM
Just look around on this board. Myself and a lot of people have put CD players in our cars. We have discussed much of it in the stereo section. I suggest takin a look over there.

thebazel
06-14-2002, 01:43 PM
alright im thinking of just getting a new head unit

are those able to be installed fairly easily or must they also use a converter?

if i take it to a shop and ask for a cd player, can they put it in? no problems?

Ralliart
06-14-2002, 04:28 PM
Any CD player will work. The installation is very straightforward. It has been discussed over here:
http://www.happytogether.com/318ti/forum/Forum9/HTML/000018.html

I installed the head unit in my 95' 318ti in about 30 minutes. The only parts you will need are a wiring harness and an antennae adapter.

thebazel
06-15-2002, 03:46 PM
what exactly is the antennae adapter?
where does it install?
crutchfield.com seems to have good installation equipment tips and tools but they dont mention anything about an antennae adapter
any help?

Ralliart
06-15-2002, 10:18 PM
Just go to any car stereo install place and ask some questions. Best Buy and Circuit City have those types of parts in stock. That way you can look at them and see what I am talking about. The install is a cinch just go get that deck and DO IT!

thebazel
06-22-2002, 05:17 PM
well i just found out that soldering is necessary for the wiring harness..ive never done such a thing
anybody got any instructions or tips on wtf ill be doin..
thanks

myred318i
06-24-2002, 01:49 PM
What are you soldering? There's no soldering req'd to hookup wire harness or antennae adapter. They both just plug n' play.

thebazel
06-24-2002, 01:58 PM
well i ordered the unit from crutchfield.com and their installation notes online say you have to connect the wiring harness to the head unit with the wires, and that soldering them together is your best option(as opposed to twisting them together and putting electrical tape on them) it seems like everyday i hear sumtin new.. everywhere else they say solderin is required, and now you say its all plug and play..
i had no clue a bmw was so hard to modify

myred318i
06-24-2002, 06:09 PM
OK, you're soldering the wires... well i guess that's going to be a standard debate no matter what kind of car your installing a new unit into. Personally, a good twist with wire nuts is plenty good 'nuf. Unless you're going for some high-end mega-buck system with distortion problems that only a dog would hear because you "twisted" the wires as opposed to soldering.
Do yourself a favor and twist them. Modifying your BMW radio is a cinch. Takes 30 minutes first time, probably 5 minutes next time 'cause you know what to do.

thebazel
06-30-2002, 09:34 PM
well, i finally did it. i installed a new sony xplod head unit into my 95 318ti. works beautifully and sounds great. id like to thank everyone here on the board who helped me. i dont think i could have done it without all your info.
crutchfield.com is also very amazing so big thanks to them too