PDA

View Full Version : Eaton M90 Supercharger project M44

WhoNew
06-24-2008, 03:30 AM
Hey all. I know I'm nuts, but here we go.

Found this on ebay
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/4c31_1.jpg
less than 50 bucks shipped.

6 hours later
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1108.jpg

Obviously I need a short nose for it, and to adapt it to a stock, or make a custom lower intake for it. Thanks to Bluebimma for an awesome price on a stock lower intake. And then all the fun throttle body adaptation, and fuel, and well........ we'll take it as it comes.

Any words of ENCOURAGEMENT are more than welcome.:biggrin:

wolferj-RIP
06-24-2008, 04:10 AM
Any words of ENCOURAGEMENT are more than welcome.:biggrin:

I take it that you don't anyone saying "what are you thinking?" :wink:

Actually, I applaud your imagination and resourcefullness to tackle a challenge like this! Go Who!

SDKmann
06-24-2008, 04:16 AM
If you make this work you will be my personal hero. Amazing project idea.

WhoNew
06-24-2008, 04:41 AM
well, dasc is 3200 +. And I'm sure it's awesome. but I don't have the option to spend that. My wife would kill me and sell my car.......

So, a little cost at a time, and self fabrication, and a little help from the smart folks here, and we'll see. I plan on taking a bunch of pics, and letting everyone know what I'm doing and how and why. that way, everyone can add their .02.

And yeah, I have read threads where everyone is bad mouthing people for trying (or asking how) to do something like this.

Philly
06-24-2008, 04:51 AM
man thats cheap... im a firm believer in "you get what you pay for..."

I wouldn't be surprised if my electric cheese grater worked better!

but hey, its nice to see someone with some ambition to try something new, so amen to you brother.

WhoNew
06-24-2008, 04:56 AM
man thats cheap... im a firm believer in "you get what you pay for..."

I wouldn't be surprised if my electric cheese grater worked better!

but hey, its nice to see someone with some ambition to try something new, so amen to you brother.

AWESOME. I think i got it so cheap cuz the car burned to the ground. Inside the S/C is very clean. I'll post pics if you want. No missing coating on the rotors, very few scratches. Actually spinning it by hand you can feel air coming out the bottom, so if it works at half the PSI it's supposed to, my motor will last twice as long.....LOL, always stay positive.

Philly
06-24-2008, 05:10 AM
sorry if i sounded like a douche, but i drive a BMW remember?? ;) lol

actually, im just a downer with a stick in my ass... but i can't wait to see how this turns out for you! im hoping for the best! keep us posted every step of the way!

ChItalian1027
06-24-2008, 05:11 AM
hey man nice job on getting the M90!!

have fun with the build up and post pics as u go!!

FATHER
06-24-2008, 05:59 AM
i have those blower install on my TI, an work very fast

Marv17
06-24-2008, 06:11 AM
wow. glad to see someone is willing to tackle such a task. i applaud you. good luck. and ill be checking up on this thread often to see how everything goes.

WhoNew
06-24-2008, 06:54 AM
sorry if i sounded like a douche, but i drive a BMW remember?? ;) lol

LOL, I have a thick skin, I'm a construction worker.

My fav is:

"whats the diff between a porcupine and a BMW ?"

" the prick is on the outside of a porcupine "

An oldie but a goodie.

FATHER, do you have a picture of the install ?? And who fabricated the intake and throttle body adapter ?

Yeah, I figured what the hell. I am a welder by trade, so fab might not be so tuff. we shall see.

thesk8nmidget
06-24-2008, 04:20 PM
http://m42club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4640

http://m42club.com/forums/search.php?searchid=313278

nontien
06-24-2008, 04:29 PM
I put one on my M44 in my 1996 Z3 - It screams.......
I have all the installation directions, if you like I could fax them to you - unless you can tell me how to post them on this site - I'm kinda new here, just joined today.

thesk8nmidget
06-24-2008, 04:30 PM
if you have a scanner then you could scan them onto the computer and then email them to me and i'll post them.

can you also fax them to me?

Bluebimma
06-24-2008, 04:37 PM
Good luck with the build man and keep us updated. Added a few things to your package before sending it out as well. ;) If im not mistaken, it might actually get there today.

WhoNew
06-24-2008, 06:54 PM
nontien -- that would be awesome.

thesk8nmidget -- even better. And the posts on the m42 club website are nice, but there is no "real" information. Just that he's putting it on. I have to join to see any of the pics. Thank you for posting though.

Bluebimma -- Thanks again !! can't wait !!

I'm actually going to the shop today to pick up my ZZP pulley. The shop I am using specializes in 3800 superchargers. going to pick their brains a little.

tiFreak
06-24-2008, 08:56 PM
good luck with the project, it's always nice to see someone trying something new

SDKmann
06-24-2008, 09:15 PM
good luck with the project, it's always nice to see someone trying something new

Well with the established shops starting to pull products for our cars/engines I think we're gonna see a lot of this kind of modification in the future.

WhoNew
06-25-2008, 01:26 AM
I agree, the M44 seems to be a pink elephant. At my first weekley meet, with the chitownm guys, everyone wanted to see the 4 cyl. (none of them had ever seen one.)

BUT, with a little work, I think we can do (build) just about anything.

WhoNew
06-25-2008, 07:38 PM
where did everyone go ??

LOL, I'm sure everyone is sick of seeing threads and endless posts on people asking questions and seeking advise on this type of project. (I think I have read them all)

I'm waiting on fed ex to deliver my parts, and am contemplating porting the S/C while I'm waiting...... SOMEONE STOP ME.

OH, and the shop I was using is called "sinister drag design". Not sure what is up with the guys over there, but customer service is a bit lacking. I drove 33 miles and waited at the shop for an hour, and they never showed up. the guy said he was in an accident that morning. Then I told him I needed to pick this stuff up, and he sent me an e-mail saying they would be in the shop "most of the day" Tuesday. So I drove there again (another 33 miles) and again no one was there. This was at 4:30 in the afternoon, and they advertise open from 10 till 6. So I called, and the guy answers and says they were there in the morning.........

I'm not trying to flame them, but I needed to rant a bit. I mean, If you are going to open a business, RUN THE DAMN THING. Anyone ever heard of CUSTOMER SERVICE ? AND if you are not going to be there from 10 to 6 (like you advertise) then at least say by appointment only, and then SHOW up for the appointment. OKAY, I'm done.

Bluebimma
06-25-2008, 07:45 PM
That sucks about the shop people not being there when you needed them to be or when they stated. Im kinda pissed at fedex since it was supposed to be delivered yesterday, now it says delivery is set for today.....

Then again, it was delievered at 1pm today....did you get it?

cooljess76
06-25-2008, 08:15 PM
a 24hr autoparts store would be spectacular.

thesk8nmidget
06-25-2008, 08:43 PM
a 24hr autoparts store would be spectacular.

they would make all sorts of money! or a really good parts department at walmart.. but maybe thats to far lol

roadrash
06-25-2008, 09:29 PM
or a really good parts department at walmart..
Yeah, that would be great... if you want a bunch of cheap poor-quality, Chinese-made parts.

thesk8nmidget
06-25-2008, 09:30 PM
yeah good point lol..

i also think that it would have problems if for say auto zone was open 24 hours.

there are already some shady people around there at later hours it would most likely get worse at 2 am

Bluebimma
06-25-2008, 09:40 PM
We had 24 hour autozones for a while, now the latest they stay open to is midnight. It really comes in handy though if you work late or need a late part.

thesk8nmidget
06-25-2008, 09:48 PM
i bet. i have been stranded over night due to things unexpectedly breaking. like an o ring on a fuel rail... no good

Bluebimma
06-25-2008, 09:50 PM
Dustin and i both had an o-ring fail for the fuel rail.

WhoNew
06-25-2008, 10:20 PM
BLUEBIMMA -- YES I DID !! THANK YOU !! (what, no fuel rails or injectors ?? TOTALLY JOKING !!) I was in the garage taking pics and measures. So first things first, I was right, the nose is way long. I'm going to have to find a short nose for it. Right now it measures 9" from tip of the snout to the rear of the snout housing. Needs to be more like 6". From centerline of the belt, to the front bottom support on the lower intake (again C) is about 8 3/4". using this as a starting point, I measured BACK from the (C) of the S/C pulley 8 3/4" and started from there. It will put me about 1/2" from the firewall. NOT GOOD. So, I made a cardboard template of the bottom of the S/C, and with the measures, I placed in on top of the lower intake to get an idea of how bad it's going to be to get them to mate up. http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1118.jpg http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1119.jpg As you can see, the stock intake needs to be milled down about 1.5" as far as I can tell so far. the stock upper intake is 13" wide at it's widest, and the M90 is only 9" so at least I have that going for me !! http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1124.jpg some more cool picks http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1112-1.jpg

WhoNew
06-25-2008, 10:26 PM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1125.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1122.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1121.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1116.jpg

That is a HUGE hole that the DISA (?can't for the life of me remember what that is called) fits in, but all the runners look to be open very well in there, of course there is always room for improvement !!

I am searching for a shorter nose, and I know the M62 nose will not fit. I'm not about to buy the magnusun kit either. So I'll ask around and see if the M90 Ford snout will fit on this M90. Wish me luck.

Bluebimma
06-25-2008, 11:15 PM
I already sold the DISA unit months or i wouldve included it for you. Same goes for the rails and injectors.

Looks like you have a big job ahead of you. Let me know if you need anymore parts, the rest will be hitting the junkyards soon. I have 2 m44 DMEs as well if you need one for tuning and one for stock.

WhoNew
06-26-2008, 01:39 AM
BLUE-- I was TOTALLY JOKING !! I am very grateful you gave me such a great price.

Yeah I have some work to do, however, with my trusty welding machine, and a little bit of smarts, I'll get it done. The snout thing is killing me. Looks like I'm going to have to have the snout and pulley shaft machined down.

As far as the intake, I know I have a pretty good chunk of 1/4 inch plate somewhere out there, so I'll use my cardboard template (I'm too lazy to buy a gasket, LOL) and start making the top of the manifold, and maybe the GM throttle plate adapter.

FATHER
06-26-2008, 02:07 AM
if you have some help with info bout that , tell me, i have the same blower install on my m44, i know the injectors, pulley, and more combinations to run at 10psi and super safe for 3 years and count

WhoNew
06-26-2008, 03:18 AM
FATHER, that would be awesome. PM sent.

FATHER
06-26-2008, 04:45 AM
if you install the blower just up the oem intake manifol you need to cut a hole on your hood, so cut the intake manifold close to the down part and buil a "box" or "recolector" piece, weld it at the manifolt and then buil the plate to screw thw blower, more close the blower is more response, but more hot air.... i have this setting, and here in Puerto Rico the coldest temperature is like 90f. and i NEVER have problems with my setup in years

FATHER
06-26-2008, 04:51 AM
pictures of my TI

FATHER
06-26-2008, 04:53 AM
more

thesk8nmidget
06-26-2008, 05:07 AM
nice picture father!! thanks for sharing!

how much did the whole parting together of the kit cost you?

FATHER
06-26-2008, 05:12 AM
i think 1500

thesk8nmidget
06-26-2008, 05:14 AM
WOW thats awesome!

you should make a write up and a DIY

FATHER
06-26-2008, 05:18 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSAN-SUPERCHARGER-14110-5S700_W0QQitemZ280239645978QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item280239645978&

SDKmann
06-26-2008, 05:43 AM
Wow, instal looks super clean FATHER, and its so affordable too. Man, Im really gonna have to think of doing something like this.

Flint01
06-26-2008, 06:51 AM
Please Do a How to FATHER or im going to have to do this http://rjssuperchargers.com/myPictures/rjs%20web%20photo%20final.JPG

WhoNew
06-26-2008, 06:59 AM
So far I am into this build (barely) at $83.51. Father and I are using 2 different S/C. Mine is a GM Eaton M90, off of a 98 Pontiac GTP. the outlet is on the bottom, like normal, BUT the intake is on the back. Showing straight to the firewall. It also has a 9" snout. This is my first obstacle, If I shorten the nose, (if it's even possible) then I can run the intake 180* so the TB is Next to the S/C. I can also cut (machine) about 1.5 inches off the intake (rear) of the housing, but that would mean removing the GM stock TB mounting area. Now this is not really a huge deal, but it will only give me around 2" to get a 3" pipe to turn 180*. I wish I had a pic of the ideas.......... Anyway, if I go with machining the rear of the S/C housing, I would have to weld the intake pipe to the rear of the housing, and clear the brake booster. I have already made measurement marks on the lower intake and on the S/C housing. So tomorrow, I will take the snout apart, and see if it's possible to shorten it 2-3 inches. If anyone else has any thoughts, please feel free to share.

WhoNew
06-26-2008, 07:02 AM
Please Do a How to FATHER or im going to have to do this http://rjssuperchargers.com/myPictures/rjs%20web%20photo%20final.JPG

This is what i am trying to do in this thread. LOL, sorry it's not fast enough for ya !!:wink:

Flint01
06-26-2008, 07:22 AM
HAHA it all good man I just bought one as well but i think im going to try to mount it and run pipes to the intake manf. not bolt the s/c to it.

WhoNew
06-26-2008, 07:53 AM
You know, I thought about that, and it was my original plan, so I could run an intercooler or whatever I wanted, but I just could NOT find the room. I guess I could have removed the A/C, or the P/S, but I want to drive the car, and have everything work. If you can find a good place to mount it, LET ME KNOW. Someone mentioned on top of the valve cover...... seems like a hood clearance issue to me, but the S/C housing is only about 5" tall.

And I did not want to run it under the car, it would be harder to work on. And then there is the S/C before or after the TB issue. The way father has his set up, and I want to do mine, the TB is BEFORE the S/C, so it will be N/A, and still make a vacuum. If you put the S/C then the TB, You are sending boost through the TB. I guess though, you could move the T/B off the intake, but that's another build thread !!

Flint01
06-26-2008, 08:10 AM
I like the way father did his. But moding the intake man. will suck. I think you can run a small ( like a mitsu ecplise Stock) Intercooler. There is a ton of space in the engine ba.

WhoNew
06-26-2008, 10:36 AM
I like the way father did his. But moding the intake man. will suck. I think you can run a small ( like a mitsu ecplise Stock) Intercooler. There is a ton of space in the engine bay.

yes there is a ton of room in the engine bay, I mean if someone could squeeze a v-12 in there........... however, to line the pulley up with the rest of the accessorys, you will be hard pressed to just mount it.

Really, go look, there truely is no good spot.

As far as modding the intake, I posted on here looking for one, or for someone parting out a motor. Bluebimmer was kind enough to respond, and he sent me the M44 lower intake (and a few other goodies):smile: So I can still drive the car everyday, and still work on the S/C project.

I figured if DASC is doing it that way, it must be a pretty decent way to go. Plus with all the reading I have done about Eaton S/C, they make very little heat under normal driving conditions. They were designed to be put on a stock engine, and last 100,000 miles WITHOUT the use of an intercooler. Also one of the reasons DASC used an Eaton.

Flint01
06-26-2008, 06:50 PM
yes the eaton is a very low heat supercharger
I wanted the vortec supercharger but because of the heat i will not but be doing that. The supercharger is a Pita to mount i will give you that , but i was talking about the intercooler set up if you wanted you could put that in like nothing ( look at the mosselman turbo kit that they use to make for the 318. )

WhoNew
06-26-2008, 10:01 PM
I agree about the Inercooler. there is a ton of room, and there is just something about that nice pretty unit sitting just behind the front bumper !!

Flint01
06-26-2008, 11:21 PM
I do Agree Sir! if you need any help ( well Im not going to chicago, But i,ve done a lot of custom turbo set ups ) let me know i will be happy to help

WhoNew
06-27-2008, 01:51 AM
CHICAGO is fun !!

I'm more than sure I will have questions, so I do appreciate the offer. My neighbor has a 9 second mustang with a bajillion PSI and all that. So I was picking his brain a bit today. I still need to get a shorter snout, of make this one shorter.......... PITA.

Bluebimma
06-27-2008, 01:53 AM
When youre done, make sure to build me a kit. ;)

WhoNew
06-27-2008, 02:11 AM
actually, I want to take all the measurements and document everything so it CAN be replicated. I'm not trying to do this to make money or anything, just to see if it can be done..... and done cheap, so every 318 out there in the world can put an affordable, safe S/C on their car, for the betterment of all, so everyone knows we have a choice !!! and make all the M3 owners out there crap their pants and wonder why they paid 20,000 dollars for their cars !!! And another thing................

Sorry, I just fell off my soap box. LOL. I should run for office--

Flint01
06-27-2008, 02:16 AM
Im pretty Shure that they make a smaller snout ( i think that fords is smaller) and will fit.
Thanks Im now wanting to start mine any one got an Manafold for sale

WhoNew
06-27-2008, 03:18 AM
I wish I had a ford snout to test out. I really don't want to make friends with any FORD GUYS. LOL.

Flint01
06-27-2008, 03:20 AM
haha i have an great slavage yard here and i will take a look for one. ( because I need one too.)

WhoNew
06-27-2008, 03:23 AM
if you can pick one up cheap, that would be cool. we can work out a way to measure from bolt to bolt to see if they will fit. I think the ford S/C is an m62 though. (like center to center of all 9 bolts going around in a pattern.) I'll post my measurements in a little while.

Flint01
06-27-2008, 03:29 AM
Thunder chicken (bird) is a M90

FATHER
06-27-2008, 03:32 AM
You not need an intercooler if you have an eatonblwer like 362 or m90, why?!?!?! because you need the intercooler between the "blower and the engine, like turbos, so is imposible , if you put one intercooler in fron of bumber it not work.\

Today at work i think in put a blow off valve on my blower, is simple, y need to put a hole in the colector then i weld a 2" hose adapter, install the blow off on those adapter and eliminate the bypass valvel removing the vacumm hose, and thats is all, is easy, ut i need to stop the car for 4 days to remove the blower and all parts to weld the hose outlet, but i can do and i work on this soon

Flint01
06-27-2008, 03:33 AM
Very good idea father

themightyquinn
06-27-2008, 03:49 AM
I won't pretend to know a ton about forced induction...but what kind of tuning would need to be done to the DME to get this to work?

Really cool project you've got, Who. Keep us posted!!

WhoNew
06-27-2008, 04:15 AM
You not need an intercooler if you have an eatonblwer like 362 or m90, why?!?!?! because you need the intercooler between the "blower and the engine, like turbos, so is imposible , if you put one intercooler in fron of bumber it not work.\

Today at work i think in put a blow off valve on my blower, is simple, y need to put a hole in the colector then i weld a 2" hose adapter, install the blow off on those adapter and eliminate the bypass valvel removing the vacumm hose, and thats is all, is easy, ut i need to stop the car for 4 days to remove the blower and all parts to weld the hose outlet, but i can do and i work on this soon

FATHER, he was talking about REMOTE MOUNTING HIS S/C. It was just in general. The ford Eaton is mounted upside down, and does not bolt (mechanicly) to the engine. It DOES use an intercooler.

Just a bit of off topic/on topic talking.

WhoNew
06-27-2008, 04:18 AM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1147-1.jpg

FLINT, if I remember correctly, the M90 Ford S/C is mounted upside down, so the drive is on the wrong side for my S/C. I'm 99% positive it won't work.

Flint01
06-27-2008, 04:21 AM
HAHA I forgot i posted that. yea theat what i was talking about but in the skeam of things it would not be a good idea.

Flint01
06-27-2008, 04:22 AM
where did you get that good pic, your right

WhoNew
06-27-2008, 04:35 AM
where did you get that good pic, your right

I made it !! I have not found nearly enough info out there, so I'm doing it myself.

THEMIGHTYQUINN -- For now, I am going to run the stock program.... YEP !! I plan on running between 5 and 8 PSI at first. If I go with more boost, there will certainly be a tune, and larger injectors.

BLUEBIMMA -- You bet I will !!

FATHER -- You are going to eliminate your boost bypass ?? And run the BOV from where to where ? The reason I like the Eaton M90 so much is BECAUSE of the boost bypass. At idle you barely have any boost, then when you loose vacuum, you gain boost. I thought the BOV was used to vent boost after your throttle butterflies close, but this would mean having the S/C then TB.

Flint01
06-27-2008, 04:39 AM
That right i forgot about that the m90 does have boost bypass, it would not good to have a Bov.

FATHER
06-28-2008, 02:51 AM
WhoNew: i not go to put the blow off for now, yust 3 minutes ago i order a smaller pulley from pulleyboys, i want to run 12 to 14psi, and reprograming the ECU with a good frien Neoh2ning, this guy have a Honda Acura aspirated with the 1.8engine, the time in the 1/4 is 11.3s with all parts on car, is the faster street honda in Puerto Rico, he said me that he want to gain like 50hp on my TI with the pulley and him laptop

WhoNew
06-28-2008, 03:02 AM
Very nice. Let me know what else you add !!

I just got an e-mail back from ZZP. The fellow there said there is only 1 size for the snout on the GM Gen III M90. It's obviously the one I have, so I am going to try to figure out if I can machine the rear of the unit to fit a 90* elbow out the side. I'll post pictures tomorrow.

WhoNew
06-28-2008, 04:58 AM
So todays activities, A little porting, not only to improve airflow, but also to reduce the heat created during operation.

Before
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1110-1.jpg
After
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1148.jpg

The bigger stuff was was done with a cutoff wheel. The fine detailing was done by hand with a small (12") rat tail file. The "humps" that were cut off were where the bolts go into the housing, the bolts will need to be shortened also, about 1/2" so they are flush with the housing.

SDKmann
06-28-2008, 05:11 AM
Lookin good! Man I love this project and its not even mine! Ive been thinking about doing one of my own all week.

WhoNew
06-28-2008, 06:40 AM
Honestly what is slowing me down the most, is the lack of machining tools. I need to get this manifold cut down, and fab the plate that will be welded right to it. I need to fab the top plate, that the supercharger will actually bolt to. I was thinking today, that I could weld in bolts from underneath, and have the manifold like a "studded" style.

any comments ?

WhoNew
06-29-2008, 04:27 AM
A little background So i gave up on finding a short snout for my M90. I emailed ZZP (they specialize in the 3800 S/C) and the fellow there said there is only one snout that will fit, obviously the one I have. One idea was to cut the snout down (3"), and have the bearing race machined into the new shorter snout. this would also mean I would have to shorten the shaft, and have it machined also. This idea was abandoned due to strength concerns. So I had to come up with something....... now here is a disclaimer....... I am a proffesional, and I THINK I know what I am doing !!!! Now, if I had to do this all over again, I would NOT USE this style of Eaton. That being said, I don't discourage anyone from trying this out. A better choice would be the M62, or the m90 off of a ford supercoupe. I am using 2 1/2 " intake tubing, which measures 2 3/4" OD. Using a 2 3/4" hole saw, I made a cut on the SIDE of the housing http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1153.jpg Using the same hole saw, I cut only HALF of the intake tubing to match the intake hole in the housing. http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1158.jpg After using a few different tools to get the hole sorted out (smooth and ready for welding) Unfortunately, the hole saw wondered a bit, so some heavy grinding with my dremel, which is completely useless, to make the pipe fit properly. http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1151.jpg http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1154.jpg http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1155.jpg http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1161.jpg

WhoNew
06-29-2008, 04:31 AM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1163.jpg http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1162.jpg

I will have to make a block off plate for the back of the unit, and it looks like it will have to be 1 inch thick, with a cut-out for the intake pipe.

ChItalian1027
06-29-2008, 08:21 AM
looks good so far dude!!

i give u major props for doing such a project!! hope to see u and ur ti at one of the chitownm meets coming up.

o what is the T/B??

WhoNew
06-29-2008, 06:32 PM
TB = Throttle body. I think that's what you are asking.

I am at the meets almost every WED. I think I missed one so far, and I missed the BBQ.:mad:

thesk8nmidget
06-29-2008, 09:32 PM
good work!! crazy!! but good!

glad to see someone finally taking this project on!

now if only someone would do a turbo write up!

nontien
06-29-2008, 09:50 PM
I am a new member - what meets are you talking about? Are they open to all and any 318ti owners, do they have to be 318ti.org members?. Where are they held? I'm in the Chicago area - do you do rallys, track, etc?

WhoNew
06-29-2008, 09:58 PM
www.chitownm.com We meet at the BWW in Skokie. Every WED. You should come, it's a great time.

ChItalian1027
06-30-2008, 01:01 AM
oo thats what u meant damn i was wondering what that was.

yeah chitownm is one of the sites that chitown has we have illinoiseuro.com, euroteknik.com, and projektgerman.com (not chicago based but its based in iowa SDKMann (seth) had me join up and those guys r really cool on there)

whonew- if u have any problems with ur projekt u could bring the car to either the CAC (chicago auto center) chicagoauto.net or P&L Auto pandlmotorsports.com

i don't really know/trust that shop u brought ur car to but thats just me

o theres gonna be an IE meet maybe this saturday/sunday july 5/6. don't really know where its gonna be at i'll keep u guys updated

WhoNew
06-30-2008, 01:29 AM
good work!! crazy!! but good!

glad to see someone finally taking this project on!

now if only someone would do a turbo write up!

I'm not a turbo guy myself -- Yeah, it seemed a bit crazy to me too. I kinda thought twice about it, But what the heck, you only live once !!

I have been out in the garage all day, and didn't get anything done..... UGH.

Started working on the sheet metal, but without a proper shop, it's tuff.

WhoNew
07-01-2008, 03:40 AM
Todays events.

I got the bottom supercharger plate cut out, and the holes drilled for the mounting bolts. I It looks pretty good, but needs to be smoothed out around the edges. Keeping with BMW tradition, I wanted to use Allen Head bolts to mount it. (sorry no pics yet.) So I bought them today. I also got the stock lower intake manifold cut down, I'll have exact measurements tomorrow. I am also pulling the upper intake off of the car tomorrow to determine the exact height, and position the S/C will sit. (I'll take pics, I swear). Then I can get the new ZZP pulley installed (press on 3.4") the stock one is 3.8", and determine the intake (from TB to S/C situation).

Flint01
07-01-2008, 10:41 AM
Looking good man, keep up the good work.

WhoNew
07-02-2008, 03:05 AM
Slow day today, I got the ZZP pulley, new vacuum tree for the top of the M90, and a new (stock GTP fuel pressure regulator) It needed a bit of work, but it fits now and works. I was told that the stock FPR on the GTP is a RRFPR.

ChItalian1027
07-03-2008, 10:21 PM
awesome!! keep us updated!!

WhoNew
07-07-2008, 12:14 AM
I haven't updated in a bit, here is what's going on.

After getting the manifold cut down, the lower intake adapter partly fabed and getting everything level and square, I thought I should take some more measurements to make sure everything was going to fit, and work okay.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1275.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1276.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1277.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1281.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1279.jpg

WhoNew
07-07-2008, 12:26 AM
http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1278.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1280.jpg

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk75/davidrvahl/100_1276.jpg

Looks pretty good right ?? Yeah, too bad it isn't going to fit. the way it sits now, there is no room at the back. It would run into the brake booster. Also, the hood clearance needs to be addressed, not at the actual manifold, but where the nose and pulley sit.

In order to make it work the way it sits, (to lower it, and move it inboard enough) I would have to actually cut into the intake runners. This is not going to happen. I will try to see if I can mount it 90* and shorten the intake a bit.

This is going to take me a few days, but we'll see how it works.

FATHER
07-07-2008, 01:40 AM
Yes i think the best way is to do a custom intake manifold without the oem, use the oem gasket to do the plate and the ducts are easy to do.

WhoNew
07-07-2008, 02:49 AM
That is exactly what I am looking into now. I have to buy some more plate steel, and some square tubing. yipee !!

former ti owner
07-09-2008, 02:26 AM
I didn't know there were bmw meets at BWW. I've driven there plenty of times on wednesdays and I dont see any Bimmers. What time do people usually go?

WhoNew
07-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Go to www.chitownm.com We usually meet up around 8pm, hang out for an hour, then eat, and hang out some more. Usually leave around midnight. We park out by the bank.

former ti owner
07-13-2008, 12:24 AM
Cool I was at a VW meet yesterday as well. same location.

WhoNew
09-28-2008, 06:46 AM
hello everyone, i'm back, and have not givin up on my project !!

It will work, come hell or high water. I'll get that damned S/C on it !!

yoda
09-29-2008, 04:18 PM
Would the m62 for a cobalt be a good candidate?

here's one from ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COBALT-ECOTEC-EATON-M62-SUPERCHARGER-LOW-PRICE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q 2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem310085600266QQitemZ310085600266

xxxJohnBoyxxx
09-29-2008, 04:42 PM
Would the m62 for a cobalt be a good candidate?

here's one from ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COBALT-ECOTEC-EATON-M62-SUPERCHARGER-LOW-PRICE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c39Q3a1Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c240Q3a1318QQ_trksidZp3286Q 2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem310085600266QQitemZ310085600266

Nope that will not work.

WhoNew
10-08-2008, 01:33 AM
YODA

That S/C body would be way too long. I don't think you could get it to fit in stock form.