PDA

View Full Version : when I start my car

1smile
07-07-2002, 07:13 PM
Hello, I own a 98 31ti with 28k miles on it. When I start the car in the morning or after a 5-10 hours, it will quickly start up then cut off. Usually, next turn of the key will start the engine. I just seems sort of strange for this to happen. I don't know if I need to push down on the gas peddle before the first try or try something else.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has this issue with their car. Thank you.

1996 328ti
07-08-2002, 02:48 AM
28K miles on a 1998?
You gotta drive the damn thing.

You don't need to give it gas.
But I wonder if you have a problem with the fuel filter.

You'll be ready for Inspection II next year.
Maybe you just need new plugs, gas and air filter.

1smile
11-03-2002, 05:03 PM
I took the car in and they fixes the stalling problem.

but now..... http://www.happytogether.com/318ti/forum/frown.gif

Now I'm smelling a strong fuel oder upon startup. If I have fresh air on the A/C unit you can smell it in the cabin. When I park, you can smell the odor (more so when I open the hood). Any thoughts.

ayton
11-04-2002, 12:15 PM
if they changed the fuel filter they probably didn't tighten everything back up enough...take it back immediately as it is a very dangerous situation.

1smile
11-04-2002, 04:25 PM
okay, I just dropped off my car at the BMW dealership. The past few days my car has been smelling worse. I first went to an independent BMW mechanic armed with my service records. He opened up the hood and showed me fuel spewing from the injector heads, as he pressed them. I showed him a service record of an fuel injector replacment that was allegedly performed by the dealership. I really think it is unfortunate to live in a city with only one BMW dealership. They can afford to give less than perfect service. So, after consulting with the indie I took the car to the dealership (now I'm out of warranty) and told them that they did not perform the service the first time and should fix it now. THE SERVICE ADVISOR TOLD ME HE WAS BOOKED UP FOR THREE DAYS AND ASKED ME IF I COULD CONTINUE TO DRIVE IT. I'm not going to drive a car that has fuel spilling out in the engine compartment. Stay tuned. I'll post up the result.

1smile
11-07-2002, 03:21 AM
Alright. Here is the skinny on the situation.

I picked up my car from the BMW dealership today. I did not have to pay for getting my car fixed, due to the fact that supposedly the did fix my fuel injectors. I'm looking at the service report and it reads that due to fuel smell from eng. area, they replaced o-rings for fuel injectors.

I opened the hood and pushed the injector tops while the engine was running. This time I did not see any fuel spewing out.

Hmmm? The "quality check after repairs" section on every service report is a load of poo.

I did get a chance to sit in the new Z4. Wow. It's tight.