PDA

View Full Version : Stainless lines

Dan Burger
03-08-2002, 03:38 PM
Anyone have exp. with stainless lines? I need to replace most of my brake components and thought while I was at it I could upgrade the lines, too.

Thanks for any opinions.

------------------
Dan B.
'95 Club Sport

leemur
03-12-2002, 11:09 PM
Dan
hey i was just at a place in atlanta called Motorbahn and they specialize in bmw adn mercedes. i was asking about replacing the brakes on my ti and they insisted that i get stainless lines first saying that it would make the brakes much more responsive. Because the factory lines are rubber, they expand.
hope this helps some
Lee

1996 328ti
03-13-2002, 01:12 PM
The best lines I'm told are Fischer (sp?).
I bought mine from Steve D'G.
They are twice the cost of others.
But I'm worth it. http://www.happytogether.com/318ti/forum/wink.gif

http://www.ultimategarage.com

ayton
03-13-2002, 03:33 PM
You can get a set of Earl's for about $100 from BMPD.com

sildergu
10-29-2002, 07:10 PM
Regarding stainless lines: Iíve been following a couple of threads on other forums. Some say that dirt gets in behind the braiding, the line flexing chafes though the Teflon. Others say that the Teflon itself is inherently fragile and that it's just a matter of time before it blows. Still others are concerned that the braid's likely to rip itself away from the end fitting.
Either way, you're looking for trouble. These heroes recommend that you replace your stainless lines at least every two years.
Opinions? I've had mine, from Bavarian, about a year and a half, no worries. Iím reluctant to replace everything based on nothing more than anecdotal evidence.

Anybody else?

------------------

[This message has been edited by sildergu (edited 11-05-2002).]

J!m
11-11-2002, 10:57 PM
Teflon is amazing stuff. Did you know that it won't burn? It also does not melt. If it gets hot enough, it goes straight to gas, never liquifing. Teflon hoses with a stainless braid are used for high-pressure gas (~2500 psi) flexible hoses as well.

Anyway, I suppose the dirt COULD be an issue, if you take your BMW off-road... If you keep it clean, I don't have any fear of the teflon's ability. It is amazing stuff. The braid and hose end itself is crimped under literally TONS of pressure at the fitting, and until I see, with my own eyes, a braid coome out from under the crimp will I believe it's possible.

One of the vendors out there has a teflon hose with steel braid and another sheath covering the steel braid. This will keep the dirt out for sure. For the budget-minded, get some shrink tubing and shrink it over the standard lines. I think you can get clear shrink tubing, to show-off your work...

Any inspection / replacement plan is a good one. If you are capable of replacing the lines, you are capable of inspecting them. Do so, and replace as soon as you feel uncomfortable with the appearance of a line. No big deal. The stock rubber ones don't last for ever either...

sildergu
11-12-2002, 02:36 AM
Thanks J!m, I agree.
Sometimes it really feels like a bunch of old ladies out there. "Don't touch that, you'll go blind. BTW, where did you get your Xenon licence plate bulbs?"
Whatever...

J!m
11-12-2002, 09:45 PM
Xenon bulbs don't make my car go any faster (even when mounted on the rear of the car) so, I don't have any.

I could use some headlight improvements...

------------------
"Speed's just a question of money. How fast you 'wanna go?"