PDA

View Full Version : New power mods + tune up for my DASC>quick!

Moose
07-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Did a tune up this week with new plugs, 8mm wires, 02 sensors, cleaned/flow matched injectors + a new CA legal 'Challenger' Hi Flow cat and 'R' Speed Check valve. The car was alot quicker with just the new cat and the tune up. I went with an SMSP 'Challenger' ceramic cat after some esearch on high flow cats and the challenger model kept coming up as the best flowing. I used to think Random Tech made the best cats. Well apparently the SMSP Challenger cats outflow those by a bunch!!...alot better than Magnaflow as well. Better quality by far too. Cost was 120 bucks + shipping. A steal compared to the 300 Random Tech wanted and that wasn't even CA legal

Made by SMSP the cat is a 300 cpsi (cells per square inch) ceramic unit and after 300 miles has not thrown a cell. Instant difference in power. Especially right off the bottom bam:biggrin:. It's not a metal cat and is comparable in size to the stock cat. Placed exactly where the stock cat goes (important for cels) using stainless steel and we helped flow by eliminating alot of the stock bend.

R speed check valve was added along with new 02 sensors today and now the car runs close to perfect ( barely bouncing idle lol) and is considerably quicker than before woot:tongue:. Pulls nicely from an idle

Adding the 02 sensors 'calmed' my idle down. Still bounces a little (not crazy like before) and I don't stall at lights anymore. Steady. Prior owner told me yesterday not to waste my $$ on 02 sensors and that they were fine. Records showed they were last replaced appx. 40k ago. Biggest help so far in my quest for a normal idle and Im sure glad I didn't listen to the ex owner about the 02 sensors or I'd still be looking for a better idle. Props to 'Father' by the way for his suggestion on the 02 sensors

http://www.sms-products.com/

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g207/sekretskwirl02/024-1.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g207/sekretskwirl02/025-3.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g207/sekretskwirl02/003-8.jpg

Moose
07-17-2008, 02:50 AM
bump for now my car is really fun to drive:cool:

gimp
07-17-2008, 03:27 AM
Exhaust looks great. Where did you source the o2 sensors?

Moose
07-17-2008, 04:02 AM
02 sensors from Pelican Parts

madfronter
07-17-2008, 04:08 AM
Nice! You will have to keep us all posted on the status of the CEL in regards to the cat.

thesk8nmidget
07-17-2008, 04:16 AM
VERY nice! now why the crap havent you posted some pictures of the valve cover that i see hiding!

Moose
07-22-2008, 07:57 PM
^^well so far so good with no cat cel. I've also still have no cells for misfires....02 sensors did the trick for that and the idle. I'm fricken' happy as hell about that 'cause I was tired of feathering the throttle at lights. I'm sure glad I didn't listen to the ex owners advice on that one:wink:.

After tons of esearch on cats I'm convinced the exact placement of the cat is key...+ the size as well. If it's right where it should be and it's the same size/volume logic says it should not throw a cel. All I can say is it's been over 300 miles with no cel and the car is now noticably quicker in the first 3 gears. My ti would probably make a great autocross demon with this kind of pull down low

As far as the valve cover I'll post pics as soon as I recieve the Vitesse Tuning carbon fibre sparky cover. I can't wait and it should be here any day

thesk8nmidget
07-23-2008, 03:16 PM
sweet!! well then whats next on the list?

autocross event???

blndweasel
07-23-2008, 04:57 PM
Must be nice to have money like that...

Moose
07-23-2008, 06:31 PM

whoa..I'm not rich by a long shot. Doing landscape I'm sure not gettin' rich and my cards are tapped as well. Having a modding addiction hasn't helped either:cool:

The prior owner was the one with the big $$, pumped a ton of money into great mods and OE parts

Moose
07-23-2008, 06:34 PM
sweet!! well then whats next on the list?

autocross event???

No autocross. Car's too nice to beat on

I was going to start on the LSD this week but now it looks like I might have some medical thing to deal with first. The sparky cover is going to be the last mod for awhile

thesk8nmidget
07-23-2008, 09:55 PM
you car is built for a few track days! it doesnt beat on your car just makes you learn its limits

Moose
07-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Well it's looking like I can't spare any extra money for anything let alone racing. I just got back from the doctor and Im looking at over 20 g's in medical stuff. I have no medical insurance. Gotta have the surgery and the white 'ti might be the first victim unfortunately.

thesk8nmidget
07-23-2008, 10:32 PM
:(

sad times! if you dont mind asking what the story?

and i will be thinking good thoughts for ya!!

Moose
07-24-2008, 03:30 AM
nothing really...just some weird growth on my brain they have to go in and get :eek:

roadrash
07-24-2008, 02:28 PM
nothing really...just some weird growth on my brain they have to go in and get :eek:
You were thinking about buying a non-BMW, weren't ya? That's what usually causes such growths. :wink:

All joking aside... sorry to hear about the medical issues. I hope it's "just a growth" and not something worse.

thesk8nmidget
07-24-2008, 02:38 PM
well that ****ing sucks! my good friend had pretty much the same thing and he is all better now so just stay strong and keep your head up.

Moose
07-24-2008, 06:45 PM
yep sucks seeing how I just pumped an assload of cash and parts into the car. It's def' for sale. Probably sell it for what I got it. Someone's getting a near perfect ti...pre modded nicely.

I''m not thinking about the medical 'till I get the biopsy back. They (doctors) say it's for sure benign so whatever. As long as they don't have to 'Pumpkin Head' my butt to get at something I won't trip on it

96cali
07-24-2008, 09:28 PM

:_punch:

wth?

tiFreak
07-24-2008, 11:03 PM
hope everything turns out all right, sucks you have to sell the ti though :frown:

Moose
07-25-2008, 04:16 AM
Yep my ti career cut short..and now it's back to driving the work truck 'till I can afford a better car. I probably look for a beater Subie this fall to get through the winter

I'm gonna' take some pics of her for an ad and Ill also list all the mods and new parts. I'ts a super friggen long list of new stuff and killer upgrades. No way I could afford to add all that stuff from scratch again. You can thank Mr money pockets 'Inlacal' for that. Has to be over 20 gs in stuff