PDA

View Full Version : LSD Installed!

marko
07-21-2008, 12:54 AM
Well, finally got my LSD in the car this weekend (instead of going to Waterfest - go figure).

Was loads of fun - with the exception of trying to get off the top 4 main bolts! They were a BITCH to get of & I'm absolutely convinced those 4 freaking tough motherf*****s were responsible for invading Poland in '39. :biggrin: Jk.

Drove the car immediatelly after - & I'm sad to say I do not feel much of a difference. Wonder if I was expecting too much? Hope I notice the difference tommorow morning...

Anyways, here are some pics for clicks... :smile:

Just before changing the gasket + speed sensor + main bushing.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/damiennn666/DSC_0001.jpg?t=1216597558

Empty hole!
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/damiennn666/DSC_0003.jpg?t=1216598234

Home made breaker bar for the top 4 bolts.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/damiennn666/DSC_0005.jpg?t=1216597725

2 diffs...
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/damiennn666/DSC_0002.jpg?t=1216597781

marko
07-21-2008, 12:54 AM
and some more...

Out with the old - in with the new.
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/damiennn666/DSC_0006.jpg?t=1216597836

My Sunday.. should have gone to Waterfest!
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/damiennn666/DSC_0008.jpg?t=1216597885

Done!
http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh98/damiennn666/DSC_0009.jpg?t=1216597954

Cheers.

Philly
07-21-2008, 02:19 AM
i tried doing mine with a little jack like that... it fell on me 2 times doing it by myself... lol

Nice work, go do some donuts and feel the difference ;)

PS. im jealous you even had the oppurtunity to go to WF... a bunch of guys I know made the journey from here!

cooljess76
07-21-2008, 03:28 AM
Hey Marko, Congrats! What a coincidence, I just picked up a LSD today myself! What ratio is yours? It looks like the same size as the one that came out. Is it a small case? Which model did it come out of? Mine came out of an '89 325. Not sure what ratio it is, I'm actually going to pull it tomorrow morning. I'll be sure to bring a breaker bar. Still have to figure out how to get the halfshafts off of the hubs.

dave45056
07-21-2008, 04:14 AM
Marko, What kind of fluid did you put in?

thesk8nmidget
07-21-2008, 04:47 AM
to answers jess's question it was from a ti and also marko welcome to the dark side! its the corners that make a difference and on the track.

and in slippery weather of course.

jesse the half shafts come off with a hammer ;) a big dead blow makes it easier.
hopefully the rings around the big 30ishmm nuts wont be to mangled and in the way of getting the nuts loose. mine took some effort. but it came off. i also had the luxury of a nice impact to take them off.

jesse can you take note of what socket the e30 half shafts nut takes?
i need to buy a socket since i dont have access to all the tools i used to have.

i think its a 31 give or take a size or two

thanks

Bluebimma
07-21-2008, 04:50 AM
Theres not too much to notice afterwards besides how the car handles and accelerates out of a turn and the control it has if you drift or just like a clean pull out of the corner.

cooljess76
07-21-2008, 05:24 AM
jesse the half shafts come off with a hammer ;) a big dead blow makes it easier.
hopefully the rings around the big 30ishmm nuts wont be to mangled and in the way of getting the nuts loose. mine took some effort. but it came off. i also had the luxury of a nice impact to take them off.

jesse can you take note of what socket the e30 half shafts nut takes?
i need to buy a socket since i dont have access to all the tools i used to have.

i think its a 31 give or take a size or two

thanks
Will do Josh, I'll have to get some big metric sockets then. Thanks for the heads up, I'll bring my electric impact and small 5lb sledge. The rings around the big bolts looked pretty straight, so I should be able to get a socket in there.

Jean H.318TI
07-21-2008, 10:35 AM
nice i want an lsd diff.

this is my post# 500 lol

marko
07-21-2008, 11:54 AM
PS. im jealous you even had the oppurtunity to go to WF... a bunch of guys I know made the journey from here!

Dude.. I saw a whole caravan of blown Mk5s with Ontario tags & a pick up truck with a huge ass trailer (god knows what freaking car was in it), rolling down the Garden State Parkway on Friday! I know I missed a good one...

Hey Marko, Congrats! What a coincidence, I just picked up a LSD today myself! What ratio is yours?

Jess, thanks man... It is a 3.45 out of a 95 ti (I'm told).
I bought it off a guy from this site (Alex M) for 420 shipped.

Make sure you have swivel head ratchet. Not sure if you can tell by the pics - but the one attached to the Home Depot steel pipe has a swivel head... If by some chance the top 4 bolts are caked in (as in with my car) you WILL need leverage. Thing is though, if you can not change the angle of the handle/pipe, you will not have the room to maneuver it, as 2 of them are practicaly up against the underbody of the car.
On a good note, I did not have to take the exhaust off - nor did I mess with the half shafts.
All but the top 4 bolts are 'soft' bolts, and so it was no real issue to break them loose.
I tried my compressor, but there was no way I could fit the impact gun on the top 4 (main) bolts - and the pneumatic ratchet just does not have enough PSIs to crank them open.
Also, do yourself a favor & chase the threads on the diff casing, before you attemt to put it in the car - chances are they are rusted or just filthy - making it very difficult for the bolts to catch (I had a b***h of a time trying to allign the diff holes while it was suspended on the jack - as you have to jiggle it a bit around).

One last thing - do not even bother to try & replace the main bushing in the cover case yourself - it will NOT come out (nor will the new one go in) without a proper press. I took it over to a mechanic 'down the block' to exchange it for me way in advance.

Marko, What kind of fluid did you put in?

I used Royal Purple Max Gear 75w 90 - this stuff is amazing! I'd never use anything else...

Theres not too much to notice afterwards besides how the car handles and accelerates out of a turn and the control it has if you drift or just like a clean pull out of the corner.

One thing I did notice today (1 hour commute) is exactly what you mentioned - it pulls nice and clean out of turns. I definatelly has much more grip out of the twisties! Good stuff...

i tried doing mine with a little jack like that... it fell on me 2 times doing it by myself... lol

I know what you mean... highly unstable F-er! - not mention it weighs 80 lbs.
I had a buddy help me - no way I was gonna attemt to mess with that wrecking ball on my own. :smile:

thesk8nmidget
07-21-2008, 02:20 PM
also jess the way i got my top four bolts out since there is such a clearance problem was use two open end wrenches and use one to put on the bolt and the other to connect to it for leverage.

also i used some hammer love to break them loose if that didnt work

marko
07-21-2008, 03:05 PM
sh!t. how come I did not think of that...
Got to stop smoking weed. :biggrin:

spent $40 on a swivel head ratchet & $10 on a steel pipe from Home Depot.

also jess the way i got my top four bolts out since there is such a clearance problem was use two open end wrenches and use one to put on the bolt and the other to connect to it for leverage.

thesk8nmidget
07-21-2008, 03:24 PM
it would be awesome to design some sort of impact wrench that can work in small places like that

marko
07-21-2008, 04:44 PM
I'm sure it exists - but it must cost an arm & a leg.
Racing teams out there from NASCAR to F1 must use stuff like that...

it would be awesome to design some sort of impact wrench that can work in small places like that

Bobbak
07-21-2008, 06:38 PM
butterfly impact wrench

i got one its great

thesk8nmidget
07-21-2008, 07:16 PM
a butterfly impact wouldnt get this job done. thats more for straight on nuts and bolts this needs to have 90 degree angle but would need to be very flat. like an air ratchet but with impact set up

tiFreak
07-22-2008, 02:21 AM
Got to stop smoking weed. :biggrin:

why? :confused: lol, I'm glad I have a stock LSD, saved me a lot of trouble :biggrin: congrats on getting yours in though

98Silver323TI
07-24-2008, 09:21 PM
i want one too :cry: sell me a LSD

dave45056
07-24-2008, 10:42 PM
Marko, I also use Royal Purple and agree is great... super smooth stuff. But you have to add a LSD additive to the oil. You probably have lot's of oil left over since it takes just a little more than a quart. Just drain some out, add the lsd additive, then top off with more oil.

marko
07-25-2008, 06:59 PM
you know, I thought I would have to as well - but MaxGear 75W-90 already has a LSD additive in it (or at least it states 'no additional additives neccessary').

Marko, I also use Royal Purple and agree is great... super smooth stuff. But you have to add a LSD additive to the oil. You probably have lot's of oil left over since it takes just a little more than a quart. Just drain some out, add the lsd additive, then top off with more oil.

Philly
07-25-2008, 07:16 PM
to those guys asking about collar nut/hub nut sizes.. it is 30mm. Probably easy to zip off with an impact gun... but a 3ft "custom" breaker bar did it for me.

as for the top bolts, wow you guys really went at it... I just used a normal wrench on the top ones with some of the "hammer love" and used my torque wrench + socket on the bottoms

The hardest bolt for me was the front one where the bushing is... since its just flimsy sheet metal, it was twisting and oh lordy it was a PITA.

dave45056
07-25-2008, 09:25 PM
you know, I thought I would have to as well - but MaxGear 75W-90 already has a LSD additive in it (or at least it states 'no additional additives neccessary').

You are right! I just checked my bottle and it says the same... I guess I've waster $ on the LSD additive.

marko
07-26-2008, 12:20 PM
The hardest bolt for me was the front one where the bushing is... since its just flimsy sheet metal, it was twisting and oh lordy it was a PITA.

my old bushing was snaped in two! you can only imagine the twist on that sucker - but still, not too much trouble as it is nice and accessible.

You are right! I just checked my bottle and it says the same... I guess I've waster $ on the LSD additive.

well, more is almost always better, right? ... I'm sure it is just extra protection.

BMW_318TI
07-28-2008, 11:15 AM
Waaauuuww nice job!
I have a question about diff install: do you have to align shafts when installing on diff?
Or just mount the shafts to diff and drive:-).

marko
07-28-2008, 12:07 PM
nah... no aligment neccessary of any kind.
unbolt the bolts from the diff end only - pushed them aside so they are not in your way - swap the diff - bolt them right back up the same way you unbolted them - no way to make a mistake...
super easy & 100% idiot proof (I managed it, and thats all the proof you need) :biggrin:

Waaauuuww nice job!
I have a question about diff install: do you have to align shafts when installing on diff?
Or just mount the shafts to diff and drive:-).

BMW_318TI
07-29-2008, 07:42 AM
Thanks for your information I will install the new diff.