PDA

View Full Version : car won't stay on, crazy idle/acceleration

rookie_98
08-17-2008, 05:28 PM
so i just followed the steps on the data base with the rough idle problem. my car didn't stay on anyway after an icv, smog thing, and ecv cleaning, all with brake cleaner. damnit, it turns on then you have to push the gas to keep it on, too much gas and it kind of backfires somewhere in the engine bay. then if you let go of the gas it just dies, immediately. DMAAAANIT!! could it possibly be this thing being hooked up backwards and if so does anyone know how it goes....its under the manifold. or a backwards maf or something...although i doubt that one

rookie_98
08-17-2008, 06:28 PM
i just managed to keep the car on by holding the throttle a little and after a while it starts to hiss. like something is charging and is about to blow...if that helps any

osattack13
08-17-2008, 08:25 PM
i had the same problem with my 95 ti. when i started it up itd start then die. and when it did start up it had a rough idle. one day i was looking throuhg my engine. and looked at my air filter. and the rubber boot connecting my air filter to my engine had a hole in it. so i replaced that and it runs better than ever now.
check that out.

zboot
08-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Yep, I'd say this is an intake issue.

Check the along the intake path to see if there are any holes or breaks, also look at the throttle adjustment. May need to let out the throttle and/or cruise control cables a bit so the engine can "breathe" a bit more when attempting to idle.

rookie_98
08-18-2008, 06:44 AM
so that's why i think i f'd up somewhere along with the cleaning and hose removal and reinstallment. before it would idle but jump from 1000 to 600 rpms constanly and frequently. now that i took everything apart and cleaned it, it just won't stay on and i can't even get a good throttle response at all