PDA

View Full Version : Starter Not Engaging

Xenocide
08-20-2008, 03:48 AM
Hey guys, my new car has a problem with the starter, the guy i bought it from (he owned for a few months) said the previous owner had it start about 1 month before he sold it.

If i turn the key sometimes it starts right up, but sometimes i get a (whiiiizzzz sound), it can take up to 3-4 tries to get it starts. It sounds like the starter does not engage. I have never heard any grinding, the previous owner said he has never heard grinding either...

Is this just a bad starter I need to replace?

Bluebimma
08-20-2008, 02:15 PM
Thats the starters solenoid going out, common problem. Cure is a new starter, preferrably with the threaded ear.

KarenCaren
08-22-2008, 03:51 AM
check the battery maybe its out. Try checking the alternator if is connected maybe its not charging the battery.

Bluebimma
08-22-2008, 12:28 PM
The whizz or whirring sound is an indication of a faulty solenoid, not faulted battery/alternator.

bobbob1015
09-21-2008, 08:11 PM
mine just started doing this..only does it when its hot. replacing it this week. whats this about the threaded ear?

Dan I
09-25-2008, 01:32 AM
mine just started doing this..only does it when its hot. replacing it this week. whats this about the threaded ear?

The "threaded ear" is what the starter mounting bolts thread into. These are the ones to have. The non-threaded starters you have to put a washer and nut on the back of the bolt; this setup is a PITA to install.

toyo89
01-03-2009, 07:27 PM
Hi guys,
My friend owns a 1998 318ti sport and the starter went bad. My question is, does it matter which type of starter you replace it with (threaded ear or a non-threaded ear)? Or do you have to find out which type is on the car now and replace it with the same type?

Bluebimma
01-05-2009, 03:10 AM
Get the one with the threaded ear. You most likely have that one anyways.