PDA

View Full Version : Supercharger or Turbo: Which one do I go with?

DuCtTaPe318ti
05-29-2002, 05:29 AM
Hey all, this is Bruce and I just recently signed up on this board. I have a '95 ti automatic with the m42 engine (60k miles). I was looking into upgrading the power of my bimmer with a working budget of close to $5,000 to spend. I would ideally like an engine transplant ('95 M3 or even a 2.8 or 2.5 liter) but I think that the cost of this would be way out of my price range. So my question is this: Does anyone on this post have either the Mosselman or Downing Atlanta systems? If so how good is it? I don't expect a supercar, I just want somewhat respectable 0-60 times of around 7 sec or below. Is this too much to ask from either of these kits? Also any comments on reliability for either system would be appreciated. Since my car is an automatic, I had figured if I did choose one of these systems it would be the supercharger. Any comments are appreciated. Later. -Bruce

montrel2estoril
03-27-2006, 01:21 PM
hi bruce, im steven from northern ireland, $5000 is like £3000 over here, and in a car buyers magazine called www.autotrader.co.uk you can pick up an E36 for 325i for around £2000, $3500, an engine swap was the first thing i wanted to go for, with a 0-60mph in around 7.5secs, but i prefered to wait and buy an M3 Evo. check out this site www.ca-automotive.co.uk click on superchargers/turbo on the left and pick downing atlanta and read the reviews on it, quite impressive, 170bhp at the rear, hope this is info is of some use to you, by the way dont turbo a 4 cylinder if you are on a tight budget because you will have to upgrade crank and cam shafts, re bore the cylinders, alot of money and thats before you buy the turbo.

FATHER
03-27-2006, 02:43 PM
the charger, believme

aceyx
03-27-2006, 04:07 PM
From what I understand, the Mosselman kits are nowhere to be found these days.

The DASC is known for reliability.

FATHER
03-27-2006, 05:47 PM
verifay this, www.eatonm3.com i have it.... the best