PDA

View Full Version : Play in steering

johnclem88
09-02-2008, 08:45 PM
Always had the problem but never got round to checking it out...

I notice it most at motorway speeds (70mph+), that the steering has a very detatched light feel and its almost like im driving in an american movie, constantly having to adjust the steering wheel. Ive also noticed that the car tramlines alot. The bottom ball joints are fine as i had one replaced and the other inspected.

Im not sure what it could be.

At lower town speeds i can notice a very very small amount of 'deadness' in the steering.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatful.

Im having the car looked at next monday (8th) about a grinding noise ive been having from the front when turning the wheel ever so slightly right at 30mph+ since ive had my new wheels, which on initial inspection the mechanic put it down to either a bearing gone or misshapen tires, i thinks its the latter because when i got home i swapped the front wheels over and the noise now occurs when i turn left!

Anyway while im there i will ask them bout the dead steering, but i just want to know what other people think it could be aswell.

Cheers

John

aceyx
09-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Could be a worn steering knuckle or rack.

M-technik-3
09-03-2008, 01:04 AM
Condition of your shocks? Approximate mileage and condition of tires. These also contribute to vague and wondering feel.