PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else fail inspection for rear brakes???

DougZ
04-11-2001, 03:00 AM
Hey guys,

I bought my 98 ti less than a month ago and failed inspection for the brakes when I took it to get tested. I brought it back to the dealer, and they tried telling me that the state(NJ) inspection did the test wrong. I was just wondering if anyone else had a problem with the car testing like it had all front brakes and no rear brakes at all. The dealer insists that the brakes are fine. thanks for any info.

ayton
04-17-2001, 10:17 PM
I have never heard of this !? as far as I know brake inspections with disks are visual they just check for pad wear? and in any event the dealer should be able to get the car inspected, if they are telling you everything is fine then they should pass it for you and if you lost money on the failed inspection have them do it for free or reimburse you.cause a uckus they usually fold after you tell them how terrible they are and how you will send no one there.Don't be hot headed just be diplomatic/stern! if they are saying everything is fine then they should be willing to stand by that.They do have the inspection technology there.(we are talking about a BMW dealer right?)Another question ....have you noticed anything wrong with the brakes?

DougZ
04-18-2001, 02:32 AM
They are a BMW dealership, but they do not have the power to do state inspections. I did pass the second time in the state inspection, and as it turned out, the dealer was right. The inspection station that did the brake test the first time, did it wrong. Apparently, they did not drop the trans into neutral when hitting the brakes. This still allowed the ABS to engage, and therefore release the pressure from the back brakes. the ABS system worked by dropping out the rear brakes when it sensed an impending lock up. This made the machine call it a fail for lack of back breaks. Now they passed me for the brakes, but failed me for a 9" layer of tint that is accross my front window. They suck...they just like to fial people. Thanks for the response.