PDA

View Full Version : Best Autocross ti

cobmw
09-04-2008, 04:06 PM
Looking to buy a ti to be used just for autocross. What is the best model and year? Is the California model with the soft sunroof lighter? The rules will allow us to add the "M" mods to a base model ti. Is the power the same in all the models? - if so then I guess the best car would be the lightest (the one with the least equipment). Thanks for any advice.

Philly
09-04-2008, 04:59 PM
no sunroof would probably be your best all around choice... since there would be no motors or anything to sway about up top... im not sure which is "lighter", the difference is probably negliable anyways.

Power is generally the same for m42/m44.

b.u.ti-ful
09-04-2008, 05:00 PM
Part way through 1996 they went from 1.8 to 1.9 engine if I remember right.

Philly
09-04-2008, 05:04 PM
Part way through 1996 they went from 1.8 to 1.9 engine if I remember right.

Power is generally the same for m42/m44.

:cool:

BMW_Hatchback
09-04-2008, 06:23 PM
Well every US model ti is just "about" the same when it comes to major differences. However there is a slightly bigger traditional mod market for the OBD1 1.8l rather than the OBD2 1.9l

The only M mods I can think of is mtech bumpers, mirrors, and side skirts. if you want you want anything else "M", you'll want to swap in an M motor.

mohaughn
09-04-2008, 07:17 PM
1995 Sport model with cold weather package, or a 1995 clubsport..

I don't think the cosmetic differences on the clubsport will make much of a weight difference between a normal 95 sport.

That will get you a stock LSD, and the sport suspension, which are probably the two biggest factors when looking at a stock car.. I would expect to have to replace every single suspension bushings piece.

If no engine modding, ie chipping/tuning, is allowed, the M44 may be the better choice though as it has a bit more torque when stock. I think I would still rather have the LSD, and that will only come stock with an M42.

The other down side is that the M44, OBDII cars have 4 channel ABS. The OBDI cars have 3 channel ABS. Vehicle weight will be higher in the M44, 1996+, OBDII cars. More of them have standard side airbags, traction control, and other features not found on the 1995 year model cars.

cobmw
09-04-2008, 11:05 PM
Thanks much for the information. We will use the car for a high school autocross club that we operate here in Colorado. We prepped an E36 M3 for the kids to drive in the STU class, but discovered it was way too much car for novice drivers. Hence our search for the right ti. Appreciate your help to steer us in the right direction.

bullmand
09-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Given the relative rarity of the 318ti, it might be a better option for you to consider an E30 3 series. They make fantastic autocross cars with basic suspension upgrades. They are also cheap and easy to work on. I prefer the 4 cylinder 318 myself and run one at my local BMW club autocrosses. They also make nice track cars.

M-technik-3
09-13-2008, 09:10 PM
E36 M3 cheap and has hp. Buy a high mileage example now for about 6-9K depending on location. Has a rear end that can put down traction vs rear trailing arm design so you can dual purpose the car ie Track/Auto-X and be happy with it.

Don't get me wrong I like my Bob Tail but I bought mine because it was a Ti not for a competitive track car. Best of luck in your search.

Maverix
09-13-2008, 09:39 PM
The best autocross ti is one with racing stripes on it. And possibly a hoodscoop! :google::2gun::eyebrow:

Dan I
09-19-2008, 09:10 PM
A non-sunroof ClubSport for G Stock would be a sleeper. There aren't many of those around, though.