PDA

View Full Version : Introduction / new to ti ownership

jdamthree
09-06-2008, 04:56 PM
Hello all,

I just registered here and wanted to introduce myself. My name is Jon Allen. I am 34 and consider myself quite fond of the BMW marque. I work for a BMW dealer in Atlanta and have been in the parts dept for 17 years. I have owned every thing from a 1973 2002 to my current 1998 m3. My first BMW was a Henna red 1984 318i. I bought it when I was 16. I just finished restoring it and is by far the best car I have ever owned ( and favorite to drive!)

I commute 25 miles one way every day. My m3 is getting close to 100k and the 84 is a hit me not. I needed a cool commuter and a new project. The ti has always been a favorite of mine. One of my customers decided to give up his 95 Alpine white 5 speed. The body is perfect but it won't start. The key just spins. Most e36 owners have experienced this steering lock issue at least once. He sold it for a rediculous price.

Needless to say, I am way stoked and can't wait to tow it home tody. I am just as excited to get to know more people here on the forum. I am glad there is a site dedicated to the coolest e36 out there!
Thanks,
Jon

BMW_Hatchback
09-06-2008, 05:20 PM
WELCOME, and welcome to the community. I am sure you have a lot of values that you are going to bring here. My name is Cedric, and I was born into a BMW family. My brother works at a BMW dealer Parts dept for 3 years., and he also has a 99 m3 with 100k :)

Glad to see you found your way to a great forum, hope you enjoy

cooljess76
09-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Congrats on the purchase and welcome aboard! As BMW_Hatchback said, I'm sure you'll be a valuable asset to the forum. The ignition problem sucks, but should be an easy fix. I'm sure you'll get a hookup where you work, perhaps one of the mechs can slap a new one in there for cheap.

jdamthree
09-07-2008, 12:46 AM
Thanks, For the welcome guys. I dont anticipate the Ign. lock being a big issue. I just hope it starts when I get it together. It is a high mile car ( around 200k) I expect to find the usual M42/ e36 gremlins. Vacuum leaks, Window regulators, etc. My techs generally are quick to lend a lift or tools cheap. Usually a six pack covers the tab.

elchicano
09-07-2008, 02:08 AM
Welcome to the forum. Yes window regulators are a problem with the Ti's. There are great write ups on most of the fixes though. So check out the knowledge section you'll find all the DIY's there.

graymae
09-07-2008, 03:57 AM
welcome to the org Jon.

tiFreak
09-07-2008, 04:03 AM
welcome, any plans for it?

jdamthree
09-07-2008, 05:31 AM
welcome, any plans for it?

Hmm.... I have already considered yanking the 3.2 out of the M3. However I am one of those " purist Weenies" I plan on being buried in my M10 84 318i. I just love BMWs 4 pot motors. I have done the typical Upgrades to my M10 without sacraficing the Heritage Alex Von Falkenhausen had originally designed.

I feel the same way about the M42. I look forward to learning about the upgrades available. FI, exh, etc. Perhaps a Jim Downing Super Charger when funds permit? Until then, I will take it on a mild pace. For some reason, I find driving a BMW 4 at the ragged edge much more satisfying than wussing the M3 through the twisties. I don't care what people say about the Aluminum block six pots, The power to weight ratio just cannot be beat in a 1.X litre car.

Of course, I am willing to listen to you guys about any beneficial mods available. I haven't looked to see if the rotors are vented. I just upgraded the 84 318i to 325e vented disks......Oh, Boy! That little car outbrakes just about anything!

So as far as upgrade suggestions for my new trunk impaired......Lay it on me!!!

cooljess76
09-07-2008, 06:26 AM
Drive the hell outta it!(coming from a guy who hasn't driven his in months, lol)

elchicano
09-07-2008, 07:37 AM
Yup try it around the turns. If the your ti is stock then the rotors are not vented. Unless the previous owener put them on. DASC's have gone up in price since they are discontinued. Money wise it's almost better to go with a swap.